spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Foogoo

join:2013-07-21

[HSI] Received DMCA notice for something I did not download.

I'm curious how this could happen. I have cable HSI from Charter.

I received a DMCA email from Charter from HBO alleging I torrented an HBO TV show. The problem is, I know for a fact I didn't torrent the file in question. I also highly doubt any of my neighbors are on my wifi as I have an odd WPA password on my router. I do however, live in a condo complex. Is it possible for my IP to have been mixed up with another tenant?

Thanks.

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
kudos:2
Your IP address is tied to the Mac address of the first device connected to the modem. The Mac ids and IP address are all logged and time stamped. So no, it isn't someone else in your complex. Do you use torrents? It could also be a virus on your computer that is sharing. Any other users in your unit?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Yes,
As sittin_tech explains, either some one else in your house hold downloaded it, or you are infected with a very stupid bug that likes to watch tv!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Foogoo
Doubtful. Possible someone with the right tools could hack into your router. What is the IP address HBO is claiming that torrented the content? What is your current IP address and did you have that IP address at the time the suspected torrenting took place? Also are you the only one that uses your connection?

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to cork1958
Or, someone hacked the OP's wifi as it's not impossible to do so. But, more likely, some malware is at work. If I were in the OP's position, that's where I'd start looking.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to Foogoo
few things id do first make sure you have latest firmware for router

2 change wpa password just in case

3 serch for malware on your pc

Foogoo

reply to Foogoo
Thanks for all the responses.

Nobody else lives in my unit. I occasionally torrent, but I'm fairly sure I haven't torrented anything HBO recently, if ever (I've never even seen the show in question).

I run Linux Mint so malware/virus seems less of a possibility, but I'll check around my system. I'll also change my wifi PW as suggested.
Thanks for the suggestions, it still a mystery to me!

Premium
West Tenness
said by Foogoo:

Nobody else lives in my unit. I occasionally torrent,

There is your issue right there. Just a suggestion, stop doing that and you won't receive anymore notices.

Poetique

join:2007-08-05
Birmingham, AL
said by 88615298:

said by Foogoo:

There is your issue right there. Just a suggestion, stop doing that and you won't receive anymore notices.

Mmhmm. One should always stop legal activities because someone tells them to.

Let's not be so presumptuous, hmm? There's no evidence that he/she torrents illegally, and I assure you, not all torrent users do so illegally. Some of us couldn't get our work done without use of torrents, for example.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
reply to Foogoo
1. I suggest that, perhaps you DO have a weak or non-existent WIFI password (in the event the DMCA comes calling).
2. I suggest that you use a VPN service like VPNBook to torrent with, so there is no direct link back to you.

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to Foogoo
You know, I wouldn't take them at their word for it... they can and do make mistakes, as well as whomever it was that tried to find out who it was in the first place.

If you *know* you didn't do it, and nobody else has access, then I would want to see proof.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Poetique
said by Poetique:

said by 88615298:

said by Foogoo:

Mmhmm. One should always stop legal activities because someone tells them to.

Let's not be so presumptuous, hmm? There's no evidence that he/she torrents illegally, and I assure you, not all torrent users do so illegally. Some of us couldn't get our work done without use of torrents, for example.

yes yes 99% of torrenting is constant downloading of Linux distros. Ok I'll ask them. Hey Foogoo are 100% of the things you torrent legal?

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Foogoo
And it's not the first time the ISP has handed out the wrong IP information. Of the many cases in court, this has come up several times now.

In any event, a single letter means nothing. If you are confident you haven't done what is being claimed, then forget about it and move on. The main jest of the letter is to stop sharing, so if you aren't, problem solved.
--
Google is your Friend

Foogoo

reply to Foogoo
I'm not so much worried about the notice as wondering how the heck it happened. I also haven't ruled out an error on HBO's part as they seem quite error prone.

But thanks for the replies, I've already taken some of the suggested measures and will be doing more.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to cork1958
Or he got an IP that was used to download it, or its a false positive. I got a DMCA notice for something I didnt do shortly after I rebooted my modem and router and was handed a new IP. Either way, its a notice, and its something to be ignored.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to passerby
or someone spoofed his IP in a swarm(which is not all that hard to do).

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to Foogoo
Foogoo, you do realize that torrents are a 2 way street. Your torrent program will continue to upload whatever you've downloaded forever.

And even a failed attempt to download copyrighted material can also result in such a warning. All you have to do is visit the wrong website.

I highly doubt anything other than your obvious activity is at fault here.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
said by mdavej:

Foogoo, you do realize that torrents are a 2 way street. Your torrent program will continue to upload whatever you've downloaded forever.

Absolutely false.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage
reply to Foogoo
1st, I would switch to WPA2 if available on your router and then I would install PeerGuardian2 on your machine.

»sourceforge.net/projects/peergua···20Linux/

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
reply to Foogoo
There is not even any real evidence that any illegal torrenting ever happened, right? It's a SCAM, they send out millions of these notices to anyone and everyone they think they might be able to contact later and extort some money from. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting notices wanting you to pay them for downloading illegal files, then you might need to get a lawyer. If I were you and started getting those notices I'd cancel Charter to get rid of the problem though.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
reply to motoracer
Not false, the torrented file WILL continue to upload as long as he has Sharing turned on and has the files on his PC to share! He can just stop sharing and delete the files to end the uploading though.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage
It is false if your offering your comment as a blanket statement. If the user shares his d/l's and sets no share ratio, then yes it will continue to u/l until stopped and/or removed. I use utorrrent and set my share ratio at 1:1.10.
At that point, it stops sharing.

mdavej

united state
said by Mannus:

It is false if your offering your comment as a blanket statement. If the user shares his d/l's and sets no share ratio, then yes it will continue to u/l until stopped and/or removed. I use utorrrent and set my share ratio at 1:1.10.
At that point, it stops sharing.

I didn't intend to mislead anyone. True, if you are just leeching, then no uploads. But the default behavior I see most of the time is to share. OP gave the impression he doesn't do many torrents, hence may not know all the ins and outs. The upload thing is simply the most logical explanation I can come up with.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

Not false, the torrented file WILL continue to upload as long as he has Sharing turned on and has the files on his PC to share! He can just stop sharing and delete the files to end the uploading though.

Mannus See Profile is correct. BTW, deleting files isn't necessary. Just move them to a different folder from the BT download folder. FWIW, I set my BT client to a 1:1.05 ratio. Upload stops when the ratio limit is achieved. I grabbed a lot of anime in my time; but only shows not in North American distribution. Most shows are quickly picked up by American companies, now, and readily available from Hulu, Netflix, Crunchyroll, and others. So I don't BT anime any more.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mdavej

united state
No one is denying you can't stop uploading. You can obviously do it any number of ways. The question is did the OP remember to do that. All I'm saying is if the OP did nothing, since utorrent will upload for a long time by default, that could be the cause of the warning.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
It is important to know that most BT clients do not scan folders for media files, they just dump the download into a default folder created by the client. So merely moving a downloaded file out of the default BT d/l folder is sufficient to prevent unwanted seeding.