All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jay864
join:2013-07-18

Jay864

How useful is a VPN for anonymity?

When using a VPN and logging into Facebook or using google… don't Facebook and google then know that new (fake) IP address is you? Then that fake IP is still linked to you through all other logs and services out there so searching for "how to make a bomb" while using a VPN will still link back to you.

Unless I am wrong (and please correct me if I am) this defeats the purpose of using a VPN for anonymity and privacy right?
cptmikey
join:2013-02-14
Annapolis, MD

cptmikey

VPN's don't do much for anonymity. VPN's encrypt your communications to protect you from someone tapping into your data stream. If you want to be anonymous I suggest you use TOR and make shore cookies are turned off and change identities often. BUT... beware, the TOR network is well known to google and other Internet commpanies. You will lose some functionality and even access to some sites if you are using TOR.

sysadm - portdefender
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Jay864

MVM

to Jay864
I've said this before in this forum, and I'll say it again : VPNs are about SECURE communications over
an INSECURE medium, full stop. Any other promise(s) that are made about VPNs are snakeoil.

Also keep in mind any idea you may have of "hiding" your IP address fundamentally breaks the way IP / layer 3
is supposed to work on the internet -- you have full end-to-end connectivity between the hosts that are
communicating.

Regards