Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lvzx14

join:2013-07-21
Las Vegas, NV

Condo WiFi Network security question

Hello ladies and gent's,

New to the forum so first hello to all. I have a question or two that I would like to ask and get some advice.

I have a vacation condo in vail colorado that I recently installed a schlag wifi keypad lock on my front door. Because of this I had to add comcast internet to my condo. I also had to add a linksys WRT54GL router that the schlag lock's "bridge" adapter connect's to. I often rent out my condo when im not using it to family and friends so was wondering what my best option is for wifi security that's still easy for other's to connect to?

I have it set to WPA2 I believe at the moment with a pass phrase and was curious if this was my best option?

Also I would like to enable remote management so that I can connect to the router from my home in las vegas and was wondering how to go about setting that up as well? I see the part that say's "Enable remote management" as well as two boxes for me to enter in the router's password. Is this all that is needed to achieve this? I also see other options like "wireless access web" and "Use https" but unsure exactly what these are for and do?

Thank you in advance for your help as im sure you often get asked these same questions so I really do appreciate your time.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

The first thing to check is if the router has a guest wifi network.
You could get the schlage to connect to that vice your own wifi network in the condo. It would only give them internet access.
I highly recommend you use WPA2-PSK security for any wifi connection, with an around 20 character key. Preferably random but I suppose va1Llc0l0rad0sucks# would be fine. Lucky SOB, great skiing.

Alternatively many routers can access third party firmware which will have the guest wifi feature you seek and probably SECURE remote management. Many routers have remote management but it is not properly secure. Third party firmwares usually fix those shortcomings for consumer routers.

Yes, if one guests leave and different ones are arriving you would want to remote in and change the wifi guest password.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

lvzx14

Las Vegas, NV
Hey anav,

Thank you for the reply. The lock actually has an adapter that connects to the router and uses that to communicate back and forth then I can access it over the Internet.

I will try out the wpa2-psk that you recommended, that's why I wanted to enable the remote management that way I can login and change the wifi password when somebody els is staying. Or if I need to do a reboot....etc

I just wasn't sure what the other settings were for or if there's anything els I should enable to make it more secure like the "https" option.

As far as I can tell there isn't a guest wifi showing up.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 edit
Well hopefully someone will chime in and let you know what is the best third party firmware for the WRT54GL, in terms of secure remote mngmt and guest wifi. Yes you absolutely want something secure https etc...... or possibly VPN in. Depends on what the third party firmware can do.
What version of WRT54GL do you have??
CL7A = WRT54GL v1.0
CL7B = WRT54GL v1.1
CL7C = WRT54GL v1.1
CF7C = WRT54GL v1.1

Forums to ask.....
»/forum/linksys···r=DD-WRT
»/forum/linksys···r=Tomato

lvzx14

Las Vegas, NV
I will double check on the version, I believe its v1.1.

I have heard of the DD-WRT firmware and am doing some research on that website to see what kind of features it adds. I definitely would like some more security for the remote management if it offer's it. My only concern is that its still stable, I have friends up there at the moment so I can at least test it out and if something goes wrong have them reset it but if somebody wast there and something went wrong I'd have to get the management office to come in and all that mess.

But I will definitely check out that site and see what others are using. I greatly appreciate all the help and this is all new to me.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to lvzx14
Besides technical security (WPA2), the other thing people seem to forget is physical security; don't want anyone
walking off with your WRT54GL now, or pressing the "reset" button because the little ol' password's a chore
to remember.

You can enable remote access if you wish... you will DEFINATELY want to make sure HTTPS is used, rather than HTTP.

My 00000010bits

Regards

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
kudos:1
reply to lvzx14
Good point! I personally use tomato and find I like it better than ddwrt. Allows multiple vlans to setup a guest network and VPN remotely with your wrt54.

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20
reply to lvzx14
If possible I would replace the WRT54GL with a Linksys E4200v2 with Smart WIFI firmware or an EA series router.

That way you could remotely control the router even from a mobile device with ease and do what you need to do without the VPN stuff. And it has a guest network that you can remotely switch on/off change password etc.. etc.. .

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum