FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

[Other] [GOLF] Lefty wins; Woods & Westwood fade

Michelson turned in a great golf round and passed a half dozen golfers to win the British Open. Woods continued his streak of Major losses when he didn't lead going in to final round. And Westwood crumbled yet again in a major(60 majors played, no wins).

»espn.go.com/golf/theopen ··· liant-66

A final-round 66 closed out a decisive victory at the 142nd Open Championship, with Mickelson coming from five strokes back to win his fifth major championship and capture the game's oldest trophy, the Claret Jug.

There have been a lot of great rounds for Mickelson in a Hall of Fame career, but it's hard to argue with this one. He needed just 26 putts in matching the best round of the tournament, and was the only player in the last 11 groups to break 70 -- doing so by four strokes.

He birdied four of the last six holes and closed with a back-nine 32 to claim the third leg of a career Grand Slam. Mickelson has won the Masters three times and the PGA Championship once.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 5z534eTE

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

Soho97UK

Premium Member

Congratulations to Mickelson, though I was hoping Lee Westwood would take his first major.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
quote:
In an intriguing twist, Scott will play the final round at Muirfield alongside world No 1 Tiger Woods, pitting New Zealander Williams next to his former employer.

Woods and Williams, who combined for 13 major victories, have crossed paths several times in competition since their less-than-amicable split in 2011. But never with as much at stake as there is at the Open.
Williams must have been just busting up inside watching Woods hit every trap on the course.............I love it.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Being a fellow lefty I was happy to see Phil seize the moment and then put it away. That putt on 18, although not really needed to win, showed him at his best. He hit that pretty stiff and he'd have quite the tricky little putt for par.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Another lefty here too...........always trying to take tips from his swing.

He was here in B.C. for a skins game with Weir in 2000 so I followed them around pretty closely.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

There was a golfer named Wayne Levi (an upstater like me) whose caddy every year at the Masters was the golf coach at SUNY Oswego where I went in the early 80's. I had a couple of hours free so I signed up for a golf class with him. We were instructed to bring our 7 irons to the first class and after we lined he went down the line having each student take a few swings. When he got to me I took my stance and before I could even swing he stopped me and said he didn't instruct lefties and told me to leave and drop the class. I was a bit surprised (considering his rep) but not shocked because back then lefties were treated like plague carriers. I always loved beating the brains out out of three-some of righties.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

He actually said that..........wow.

I think I would have used my 9 iron on him. lol

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Oh yeah. Back when I started golfing in the mid-70's it was almost impossible to get a 4-some together in the clubhouse without someone refusing to golf with a lefty. One of the places I worked we played in a league and our 4-some was all lefties. We did OK but the problem is/was all the golf balls are right-handed.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

1 edit

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Golf balls?

Ya it was hard to find some nice left handed clubs years ago..........but now they're everywhere,even second hand ones.