share rss forum feed

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1

[OS X] iPhoto Original Photos

I'd like to free up some disk space by removing the original photos from iPhoto and keep the modified versions of those photos.
I realize that there may be some photos that where edited from color to B&W. And yes I'd like to keep those. But for the most part, there are a bunch that I can safely (in my eyes) delete.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe free software of some kind?
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Can't iTunes do this? Move all photo's to a directory, then heck off the photo's you want in iTunes, and iTunes should optimize those photo's to put back onto the iPhone.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by J E F F:

Can't iTunes do this? Move all photo's to a directory, then heck off the photo's you want in iTunes, and iTunes should optimize those photo's to put back onto the iPhone.

yeah uh...I'm referring about pics on the Mac, not iPhone. iTunes as nothing to do with photos on the actual computer. (as far as I know)
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Oh..I get it.

I do recall having software that did that, but I really can't recall what it was....sorry.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by J E F F:

Oh..I get it.

I do recall having software that did that, but I really can't recall what it was....sorry.

Damn.

I've seen software that can find duplicates of photos but nothing that can allow you to remove the originals and keep the modified ones.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
There seems to be quite a few results for this on google. Here's one in particular that follows the same approach I would've recommended:

»hints.macworld.com/article.php?s···60245869

I'd go with the "Editor's note" method of using the Finder instead of the Terminal if you're not familiar with it.
Edit: the instructions are pretty old, so the procedure might not match exactly, but it shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to the latest version of OS X.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo
Hmmm...what are some thoughts on this method?
»james.wikidot.com/blog:69
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Basically the same exact thing except his commands move the Originals folders to the trash instead of immediately deleting them. I'd still go with the Finder method unless you're comfortable with terminal.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by Thinkdiff:

Basically the same exact thing except his commands move the Originals folders to the trash instead of immediately deleting them. I'd still go with the Finder method unless you're comfortable with terminal.

I don't mind the terminal. I'm a newish Mac user about a year into it. But I've worked with Windows CMD prompt and linux terminal windows before so there isn't any intimidation.

I've read though that moving the iphoto folders around could corrupt the library and cause major issues within iPhoto. Any truth to this?
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
said by onebadmofo:

I've read though that moving the iphoto folders around could corrupt the library and cause major issues within iPhoto. Any truth to this?

Possibly. That's why it's a good idea to create a backup of your iPhoto library (if you don't have one already) before removing any folders.

The rebuild library function should also take care of any problems that pop up.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo
Aww shit I just thought of something. I most likely have original photos that I didn't edit. So those photos wouldn't have a modified version of themselves.

Doing this would remove those as well.

Damn. It would be cool if software existed that allowed you to see the originals in one column and the modified ones in another. And then just remove the originals that have a modified version of it. Leaving unedited originals safely in place.
--

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to onebadmofo
Well after having time to actually READ the instructions in the link I posted. It says, "What the above code does is it that it finds all of the photos in the “Modified” folder, and for each photo it finds the original version in the “Originals” folder and moves it to the trash. Too simple."

But...
This is an post so this command didn't work on iPhoto 11. Good news is it didn't have any ill effect at all. So all photos are still there. Am i correct in assuming that the "originals" and "Modified" command would be replaced with "masters" and "preview". Or will this not work at all now?
--

RogueMonk
Premium
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON

1 edit
reply to onebadmofo
This software claims to do what you are asking - »macpaw.com/cleanmymac

EDIT - Just used the demo version (limited to 500mb removal). Works awesome. You can auto delete the modified originals or select on a picture by picture basis. I removed the full 500mb of just rotated pictures alone.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
That's exactly what I had in mind. Works pretty damned well too. It freed up about 1.5GB.
......great find man! Thanks!
--

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
reply to onebadmofo
The easiest way to do that is to move the pictures you want to keep by dragging and dropping them to a disk directory, then just delete the whole iPhoto Library in the Pictures directory of the user account.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by Curiosity:

The easiest way to do that is to move the pictures you want to keep by dragging and dropping them to a disk directory, then just delete the whole iPhoto Library in the Pictures directory of the user account.

Since I wasn't 100% sure of which pics I modified, with over a gig of pics...that's definitely not the easiest way. Yes you can select the pic and see if "revert Original" is available. But to do that with every pic?! No ...no way. I don't have time nor the patience for that.

The software I used that RogueMonk See Profile posted, takes the guess work out of it. It also gives you the option to see the photos next to each other so that there is no doubt about what gets deleted.
--