how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Haullin

join:2013-07-21
Saint Albans, NY

Install tomorrow.. Quick Question..

My main PC is on the second floor but the router I use now is in the basement. Can the PC on the 2nd floor be hardwired with the router in the basement ?

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Sure it can...as long as there is the wire for it to ride on. That going to either be a Cat5/6 twisted pair line or a Coax line with a MOCA adapter near your computer. For the former, there is a total distance limit of 100 meters (about 300 feet), but that shouldn't be a factor in a residence. For the latter, the coax should be RG6, not the old RG59.

Haullin

Saint Albans, NY
Thanks.. One more .. Does the RG6 have to originate from the router ?

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The coax does need to "touch" the router so that the MOCA LAN activity can traverse to the MOCA adapter near your PC. Do note that your VZ installer isn't going to have that adapter available to you. You'll need to source it independently. Some folks just use another VZ Actiontec router (generally used) in bridged mode as the adapter since they are readily available on EBay and elsewhere.

Haullin

Saint Albans, NY
Gotcha.. Thanks again...

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

3 edits
reply to buckingham
said by buckingham:

For the latter, the coax should be RG6, not the old RG59.

We had this same discussion about a year ago and the concensus was that the vast majority of people with RG59 (including myself and about 95% of others in the thread) will be just fine as long as the runs are less then around 150 feet. Im still using my Comcast installed RG59 from 20+ years ago and have MOCA readings of 220+ for every computer and stb in the house including one run around 100ft. Just make certain all splitters allow the full 1-1000mhz spectrum as 10+ years ago they did not.

Ok done with my once yearly "RG59 is bad" rant....

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
I guess that the RG6 recommendation should include "for best results", but yea, the older wiring will absolutely work if it's in good condition and the run isn't super long. Good point.

Haullin

Saint Albans, NY
reply to Haullin
All done.. guy was here to 530 or so from 830 this morning.. Called another tech who had a Moca adapter on his truck.. Internet is out standing averaging 65 down 35 up (wireless).. Didn't run a test on the hard wired one yet.. The only issue (I have the ultimate package with movie completer) is he couldn't seem to get HBO HD or a lot of the upper channels (840+) to work. finally we got some HBO/Starz and so on but not all he's coming back in the morning..