spc
Search similar:

uniqs
THX
join:1999-10-16
Saint Louis, MO

THX

[Midwest] Recommended DSL modem

What recommendations do you have for an AT&T DSL modem to replacing my aging 2Wire?

I'd like to be able to disable DHCP and I'd also like to be able to publish inbound ports such as HTTP/HTTPS.

I would also like IPv6 capability.

Thanks.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Which 2Wire/Pace model do you presently have? (basically so we can isolate U-Verse xDSL vs traditional AT&T xDSL)
THX
Saint Louis, MO

THX

I have the 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway for traditional DSL.
THX

THX

Bump...
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to THX

Premium Member

to THX
said by THX:

What recommendations do you have for an AT&T DSL modem to replacing my aging 2Wire?

I'd like to be able to disable DHCP a...

The modem you currently have is a combination of a DSL modem + a router. Since you have no use for DHCP from your modem, I suggest you get separate components. In doing so, the basic modem only does the DSL portion and your router does the DHCP. In this case, your router can be pretty much anything you wish and there are dozens available on the market.

Your modem must be compatible with your ISP service. I suggest you look at your ISP website and see what modems and types of modems (ADSL, ADSL2, etc) they require. Often you do not have to use their modem specifically unless you use Uverse. Otherwise there are a handful of modem choices and you can look on the net for reviews. The one I use is 10 years old and suits me just fine. The router on the other hand is where I put my $.
THX
Saint Louis, MO

THX

Ended up going with the Actiontec GT784WN-01 300 Mbps Wireless N DSL Modem/Router...

I'm already seeing improved performance big-time.

The DSL Network Password setup was a total PITA, however. Had to go through a "hidden" AT&T registration website and enter a new password just for my modem.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Great. Glad it worked out for you.