uniqs
share rss forum feed

cchheett
Lamb Of God
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Eagle Creek, OR

Vpn on virtual machine?

I had a stroke 2 years ago and my words don't come out the best sometimes, but I am hoping you guys could answer some questions for me. I recently have used a VPN service "Private Internet Access". I'm using mainly using it for torrents. It gets slow when I'm using it, and i know its gonna be slower then if i wasn't using it. If i was to set up a virtual machine that has the client running and use that, will that work?

And if it works what benefits would i get from that. Would my normal pc work a little faster. Thanks for any information.
--
A.B.Mult.Horror

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
I'm using a VPN service in a Virtual Machine and it is working just fine. I figure it is nicer that way as it won't interfere with any of the other stuff I have going on in my Host machine or on the other VMs I have running.

I have a rather beefy Host, so I'm not at all worried about it taking up resources. I actually have 4 VMs running most of the time with little affect on the Host.
--
»www.caryontech.com

CarolP

join:2013-05-09
Montreal, QC
reply to cchheett
I don't know about the virtual machine, but maybe you can check the different packages offered at »www.bell.ca/enterprise/EntPrd_ip ··· vpn.page they have many options, and apparently there are no speed issues.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to cchheett
When you say "It gets slow when I'm using it", what is it that actually gets slower. Is it the network speed, or the PC itself?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:20
reply to cchheett
2nd aguen See Profile... without knowing WHAT is getting slowed down -- CPU, memory, network speed -- then the
solution you're proposing is at best a shot in the dark.

Regards

cchheett
Lamb Of God
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Eagle Creek, OR
reply to csiemers
I have been playing around with the virtual machine , but am a little confused. I just use the virtual machine just for torrents. When I use torrents I can check the IP address and its what i think it should be for using "Private Internet Access"..When I use my normal PC i can check my Ip address and its my local isp adress. Just like i would think. That should be wright? I don't mind using my isp's connection if im just looking at youtube, or face book etc. But I want to hide someother stuff, including torrents.
--
A.B.Mult.Horror

anonforaday2

@178.245.212.x
Yes Cchheett you're doing it right.
Your virtual machine, if set up correctly, is completely independent from your main sys.
Its a great way to organize things for torrenting.
What I do is set up my VM to be bridged to my network segment, and set its IP to a static address which my router firewalls to ONLY talk to the VPN providers entry point IP that way nothing leaks, cept maybe DNS which I dont care about.
You dont necessarily NEED to do the firewalling as your VPN provider may never drop.
Meanwhile my main system continues to operate as if nothing has changed.