Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

degobah5

join:2008-01-31
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

[LA] Sudden Speed (Up and Down) Issue

I've been a an Ultimate subscriber for some time, and haven't had any issues for over a year. Last night I noticed that my internet connection felt a little sluggish, so I did a few speed tests and initially got ~11Mbps down / 6Mbps up. Testing this morning, I'm getting ~30 down / 15 up... well below the 150 down / 20 up that I'm supposed to get with the Ultimate service.

I've done a hard reset on my router, rebooted the modem (both a simple reboot and "factory reset" on the modem), and comparing my SNR / power levels to other users here... I suppose they seem ok (based on the "your levels look ok" responses to other's).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have my MAC address handy, if any Cox Technicians can give me a hand.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

I would say first, as your OP request, have a Cox Technician have a look. Are those signal levels after a reboot? If so those uncorrectable seem high, especially if they escalate through the day. If they do, that "could" be causing your issue. Also, since the issue is intermittent, I would suggest the next time it happens, check signal levels and pay close attention to the Channel ID's, then bypass the router, run some test. If the problem goes away, reconnect the router and see if the problem then returns. I mention this because alot of times people bypass the router and in the process reboot the modem, which in itself fixes the issue and creates the false conclusion that the router caused the problem. If you notice that the problem only occurs with certain channel IDs it may be a issue just on that channel. But before anything its prudent to bypass the network if possible.

degobah5

Lafayette, LA

I agree with everything you've said, and have followed the same steps in the past to resolve issues.

The signal levels are since my last modem reboot or "Restart Cable Modem" (~11 hours ago). Last night I actually performed a modem restart, "Reset All Defaults" on the modem, and shortly after another modem restart. Before the restart/reset/restart, I did bypass my router, and experienced the same speed issues... though I did not document any of it. I'll bypass again during my lunch break and try to reply with post-bypass data.

Also, I wouldn't say that the issue is intermittent... the issue started very recently (withing the last 2-3 days), and has persisted since then. My speeds have consistently been low over the last few days, with little to no fluctuation. At the very least, the speeds have been well below what is expected with the Ultimate service.

Anonguy

@cox.net

What modem do you have?

You need to bond 6-8 downstreams to get the 150 mbit.

Now that you are boding only 4 indicates a signal problem!

degobah5

Lafayette, LA

Modem Info:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Firmware Build Time: Dec 21 2010 15:52:06

I was getting decent speeds as of April (I suppose), but even then 37-47 is well below the Ultimate service (now advertised at 150/20 down/up).

Date IP Download Upload Latency Server
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
4/19/2013 2:32 PM GMT 98.[...] 37.13 Mb/s 19.77 Mb/s 29 ms Houston, TX
4/19/2013 2:30 PM GMT 98.[...] 47.30 Mb/s 27.22 Mb/s 27 ms New Orleans, LA
1/21/2013 1:14 AM GMT 98.[...] 59.97 Mb/s 4.69 Mb/s 30 ms New Orleans, LA
9/12/2012 12:27 AM GMT 98.[...] 53.15 Mb/s 5.54 Mb/s 27 ms Houston, TX
9/11/2012 3:10 AM GMT 98.[...] 63.93 Mb/s 5.47 Mb/s 34 ms New Orleans, LA

Smith
Premium
join:2000-07-13

If you want better speeds, you need a new modem. You're using the wrong modem for Ultimate.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA

said by Anonguy :

What modem do you have?

You need to bond 6-8 downstreams to get the 150 mbit.

Now that you are boding only 4 indicates a signal problem!

said by Smith:

If you want better speeds, you need a new modem. You're using the wrong modem for Ultimate.

Right.

You're bonding downstream channels with a D3 modem. Each QAM256 channel is capable of around 35Mbps given the plant is in good condition. A 6120 is only capable of bonding 4 downstream and 4 upstream channels, which equates to a maximum downstream speed of about 140 Mbps. I'm not sure how saturated your node is or what the condition of the plant is in your area, but with 4 channels, you should still be seeing much better downstream speeds than 30Mbps with a 6120. However, buying a Motorola SB6141 modem is pretty much a necessity for Ultimate service, as it's capable of bonding 8 downstream channels (there are other 8-channel modems as well) which will give you more reliable and consistent speeds. Think of it like this...instead of increasing the speed limit from 60mph to 160mph on a single-lane highway in order to fit more cars, more lanes are added.

Anyway, I really would contact someone authorized by Cox here on the forum and see if there are any issues before dropping money on a new modem. But realistically, you're going to need to buy a modem capable of bonding 8 downstream channels if you want reliable Ultimate tier service.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to degobah5

Why not get LUS Fiber ? »www.lusfiber.com/

We are getting 1 Gbps here as well soon.

degobah5

Lafayette, LA

Unfortunately, I was forced to leave LUS Fiber because I'm now less than a mile from the currently serviced area. Believe me, I'd pay MORE to be right back with LUS.

degobah5

Lafayette, LA
reply to kv2009

I've tried contacting CoxTech1 (who has helped me in the past), but not reply yet. Are there any others that I should contact?

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

See here for a full list of Offical Cox Reps here;

»Cox HSI Forum FAQ »Who are the authorized Cox employees that provide support on this forum?

I would say CoxVegas, KipAtCox, EJW_CoxNE are the most active though the offical Rep for your area is LAHSIhelp.

But if your showing escalating uncorrectable of over 1000 in 11hour, thats probably your speed issue. Now whats causing the uncorrectable to occur is a different story, and probably best left to a Cox Tech to investigate. Keep in mind It might not be your only problem but its in my opinion abnormal.

intel1212

join:2008-01-17
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

I don't use speedtest.net anymore from my Cox account. I either use the speed test tool from Cox (accessed from logging into your account, under support/my tools) or I use a Verizon Speed Test tool. I would try all 3 (speedtest.net as well) and compare your rates after running multiple tests. For me, I get consistently HALF the up/down rates with speedtest.net, using 2 or 3 sites close to me.

Your numbers you posted on your modem look ok. Comment on the sb6141 is correct. I would keep testing over the next several days, log your results, and watch your modem signal levels (and log them) as any problem you have is most likely intermittant and it helps in our area when I show the tech (or talk over the phone) all of the historical data when I suspect something is wrong.

Good luck...

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

1 edit

I would question using a Verizon Speedtest to test a Cox Connection. Actually Cox's Speed Test and Verizon's are very similar,both running Legacy V1 on dedicated servers within that particular ISP. Verizon does give more info but thats just a settings parimeter and nothing running on Ookla is rated for 100Mb+ as per their own documentation;

»support.ookla.com/entries/210975···enarios-

"Ookla Speedtests come configured with parameters targeting the most common current range of broadband speeds. Currently this is considered download speeds between 1 and 25 Mbps and upload speeds below 10 Mbps. However, you can tweak the test parameters to be reliably accurate up to 100mbps (and improve measurements beyond that)."

Unless they have been upgraded to their Newer Netguage product, but there are not many servers running it. Thats why I like Visualware, because their platform doesn't cap until 1000Mb,(see link below) the problem is paying for the bandwidth to that server at that rate.

»www.myconnectionserver.com/suppo···ref.html

The test itself can be found

»myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

I personally think he should focus on the Uncorrectable because thats something the techs can track Street/Node/CMTS wide. Thats just my opinion though, no harm in watching both I suppose, just thought I would share a little insite on how those test work. I would say the best speedtest on Cox server in LA would be

»speedtest.no.cox.net/