spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

Verizon 1UPs, 500/100Mbps Plan now available

Not sure where else it's available as it seems not everyone is seeing it.

Guess if you got the money to burn and it's available you can jump on it.

Seems like OOL found a leaked memo or something to which is why they bumped us up to Ultra101 trying to compete.

mim

@optonline.net
The 500/100 Verizon plan is $304+taxes/fees. Not exactly a competitive offering these days.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
It's competitive if you have a need for it.

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
reply to SHoTTa35
5 times the speed at 5 times the price.
--
Ken

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SHoTTa35
Based on that pricing Verizon could offer 50 megabit for $30 and 100 megabit for $60 150 for $90 (60 cents per megabit-base price). Since most people wouldn't see a price break in a contract or price lock, you'd get bumped to the nearest higher tier based on the price you currently pay. That's reasonable and a competitive pong to OOL's ping.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to SHoTTa35
Those are some nice offerings. What I like best is the lowest tier keeps getting pulled along as the top tiers get raised.

Competition is a wonderful thing.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·Optimum Online
reply to SHoTTa35
But... as my son just pointed out is that the Ramsey CO and many others are still BPon.......I inquired last year and they said they had no plans to switch.... Truth/BS? ignorance... that was what I was told.. we shall see.....
--
My opinion on religion and science? Science builds airplanes. Religion flies them into buildings.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

Seems like OOL found a leaked memo or something to which is why they bumped us up to Ultra101 trying to compete.

I doubt the upgrade plan had anything to do with a future announcement by Verizon, but was probably a way to reduce provider-hopping. With a grandfathered plan, you shouldn't be able to get it back if you leave for a year to get someone else's promo pricing.

It's good to see more high-speed plans. While I have no need at this point, having the option available for those with the need or those who get a need for it is good.

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to HarleyYac
It probably took some arm twisting for parts of NJ just to get FIOS. It's more likely that other geographies such as NY Metro has priority on Node cards and GPONs (by NY metro I generally mean the 35 miles surrounding NYC). That excludes much of south NJ which overlaps with Comcast (maybe time warner too?).

Even in NY metro you will NOT get a GPON if you don't order a speed above 100mbits. Fios routers using MOCA (coax) max out at 150 megabits -- this is why the 150mbit speeds have been so expensive. These customers have to go back use ETHERNET cabling for the internet.

Someone feel free to shed some LIGHT (pun intended) on this.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
This is mostly incorrect.

There are many factors at play when it comes to BPON vs GPON. There can be BPON-only, mix BPON/GPON, or GPON-only in any CO or even in any distribution hub (the box near your house).

If your area is mixed BPON/GPON, the installer has the option of putting you on BPON or GPON depending on if there's an available port on the GPON splitter or what ONT they have. If you order >100Mbps, you're guaranteed GPON as those tiers are not available on BPON. But you can order 15/5 and get GPON, too.

What's available in one area has very little to do with what's available in other areas. It's not that NY has "priority" - most of the build out in NYC was after GPON became the standard. Verizon hasn't done any new deployments with BPON in a number of years. If you're on BPON, all it means is that your CO was built-out for FiOS a (relatively) long time ago.

As for the router - that has absolutely no effect on the pricing. Yes, you do need to use ethernet for 150+Mbps tiers, but the cost of running a CAT5 cable is tiny. The prices are high simply because it's a premium product.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

It's good to see more high-speed plans. While I have no need at this point, having the option available for those with the need or those who get a need for it is good.

Just remember that so long as the FIOS connection is GPON that it is easier for them to supply a higher speed tier than CV can. There is no way that CV can meet this tier with their current network and modems. The theoretical fastest that CV can supply is 300/100 since that is the most that an 8x4 modem can deliver and that requires a dedicated non-shared node.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by RARPSL:

There is no way that CV can ...

Been hearing that for years. Somehow they have been able to get past each barrier.

I've heard all the techno mumbo jumbo. TDMA, CDMA. QPSK, 16-QAM, 32-QAM, blah, blah, blah.

All I know is I still have a modem that connects to the same power, coax, and ethernet just like I have for the past 13 years, and I can get over 10x the speeds I used to be able to get.

Remember, the FiOS network is shared too - you don't think they can deliver 500mbps to all customers simultaneously, do you??
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

at $300/month it's hardly consumer-friendly plans.
I'm more interested in seeing current plans becoming cheaper.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to SHoTTa35
There's really near-zero residential need for that. Some mid-size businesses could take advantage of it, and it's lower than most alternative plans will cost, though it obviously either won't guarantee any uptime percentages, or won't guarantee as many 9's in a 99.9999(etc)% uptime.

Plus, when inevitably bandwidth options increase further, I'd expect the top-tier options to become more consumer-friendly.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to jaa
said by jaa:

said by RARPSL:

Been hearing that for years. Somehow they have been able to get past each barrier.

I've heard all the techno mumbo jumbo. TDMA, CDMA. QPSK, 16-QAM, 32-QAM, blah, blah, blah.

All I know is I still have a modem that connects to the same power, coax, and ethernet just like I have for the past 13 years, and I can get over 10x the speeds I used to be able to get.

Remember, the FiOS network is shared too - you don't think they can deliver 500mbps to all customers simultaneously, do you??

Also how many people running those speeds before verizons connection to the rest of the net for fios users gets bogged down.

RARPSL

Suffern, NY
reply to jaa
said by jaa:

said by RARPSL:

You are quoting me out of context. My FULL quote was There is no way that CV can meet this tier with their current network and modems. The theoretical fastest that CV can supply is 300/100 since that is the most that an 8x4 modem can deliver and that requires a dedicated non-shared node.. You treat me quote as "can never" as opposed to my "can not at this time". I explain why they can not meet it yet. To meet the FIOS speeds, more than 8 channel bonding is required and modems able to bond more than 8 downlink channels are just beginning to be available.

As to your claim of the same connection you used for the past 13 years being able to support the current tiers, you are ignoring some issues. The modem and equiptment used 13 years ago, is not the same ones used today. Over the 13 years, they have been replaced with equiptment ABLE to support the speeds. Just because a horse drawn buggy can use the same highway/road as a 2013 model car, does not mean that they can go at the same speed. The car has a higher maximum possible speed.equipment

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff
Some of the very first communities in the northeast to get FIOS were primarily on Long Island suburbs. NJ was able to get some deployment nearby Verizon HQ and select other areas (2003-2007).Shortly after NJ got their statewide Franchise.. they all-but stopped deploying. If a CO was only upgraded to get the minimalist BPON build then that was being cheap on Verzon's part. Between 2005 and 2013 the cost of manufacturing gpon equipment and beyond vs bpon is moot. GPONS were becoming widely available as early as 2005.. however as you have the industry tell it-- the market wasn't ready for speeds approaching gigabit.

I'm not ignorant of the fact that the SAME link speed line cards (and hub splitter/tap type in high density builds) have to be at both ends to enable GPON vs BPON. I disagree, Verizon does not install more expensive GPON ONTs for 15/5.. it's just not typical procedure (I've directly asked 2 installers recently). I could barely get them to replace a power module because they didn't believe that it was malfunctioning enough to do a truck roll. I've seen MDU installs where 7 - 8 coax cables are run across a building from a MDU ONT. If those signals are serving multiple customers for internet and had to be upgraded it would be a significant expense. In 2008 I priced cat 5/6 cabling for outdoors which is weatherproof.. it was nearly $1 a foot at the time. It's probably cheaper now. IIRC when I lived in the suburbs, Verizon was doing overlay. They never bothered with in-line taps, they wired you direct to the NODES to an individual port on the line card. Taps are aggregation points which allows more customers to be connected per line card port where customer density is very high. In NYC small hovel row apt buildings are split 3-6 customer deep with an ONT going to each apt dwelling regardless of legal occupancy ratios.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by tmc8080:

I disagree, Verizon does not install more expensive GPON ONTs for 15/5.. it's just not typical procedure (I've directly asked 2 installers recently).

This is just plain wrong. It is actually impossible in GPON-only areas. In mixed GPON/BPON, like I said, it depends on multiple factors including available ports on the splitter, inventory, and the installer. I received a GPON ONT for 25/25. My neighbors received a GPON ONT for 15/5.

said by tmc8080:

I've seen MDU installs where 7 - 8 coax cables are run across a building from a MDU ONT. If those signals are serving multiple customers for internet and had to be upgraded it would be a significant expense.

Do you understand how Verizon's MDU ONTs work? They don't use Coax/MoCA for internet...

said by tmc8080:

In 2008 I priced cat 5/6 cabling for outdoors which is weatherproof.. it was nearly $1 a foot at the time. It's probably cheaper now.

Even if it was $1/ft (which it's definitely not), that's a one time fee that could be recovered with the install fee associated with upgrading to 150+Mbps tiers. It has zero affect on the monthly price.

said by tmc8080:

IIRC when I lived in the suburbs, Verizon was doing overlay. They never bothered with in-line taps, they wired you direct to the NODES to an individual port on the line card.

I can't say "no" with 100% certainty, but this doesn't sound right. Most if not all FiOS installs go through a splitter at some point - and not just in high density areas. It's the standard configuration. 1 strand from the CO is shared by up to 32-64 users depending on the splitter being used.

Some more info:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Fi···_details
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is FDH: Fiber Distribution Hub?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Optical splits or splitter hubs?
»What exactly *is* an OLT?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

There is no way that CV can meet this tier with their current network and modems.

Nor can Verizon.

I apologize for the partial quote - my point was people keep saying CV can't keep up for some technical reason, but they always seem to be able to. They were offering higher speeds than VZ; now VZ is offering higher speeds.
--

RARPSL

Suffern, NY
said by jaa:

said by RARPSL:

There is no way that CV can meet this tier with their current network and modems.

Nor can Verizon.

I apologize for the partial quote - my point was people keep saying CV can't keep up for some technical reason, but they always seem to be able to. They were offering higher speeds than VZ; now VZ is offering higher speeds.

I regard the lack of Modems able to support than 8 download channels (which means a 300Mbps top speed) as a technical reason. Once such modems (or DOCSIS 3.1 Modems and Headend Equipment) becomes available this technical issue goes away. There are such DOCSIS 3.0 modems in the pipeline (while DOCSIS 3.1 is still not yet a standard) but they are not yet generally available. CV bumped their tiers up (to better than FIOS) to levels that are still currently possible. FIOS has a higher maximum possible speed so they responded with a tier that can not AT THIS TIME be supported by any Cable System (as I noted). 300/100 is the best that can be done with the current 8x4 modems. Even that, as I noted, requires a dedicated node to allow 1 modem to get that download speed.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Do you know what the Docsis 3.1 specs will be, or what they are considering to make the specs? It would be interesting to see what speeds the new specs will bring.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

»networking.cablecongress.com/fil···0945.pdf

»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···s/139883

Some quick info I've found that I'm still reading through

Edit looks like a 3.1 CMTS has to be able to support at least 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 QAM channels
Allowing about 912 down / 216 up?

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
Thanks for the info AndrewC. From a quick look at that info, seems that fairly easily Cablevision could upgrade to 6Gbps bandwidth on the down and 200 or 400Mbps on the up for each of it's nodes. Once the equipment is available. With the ultimate speeds of 10Gbps down/1Gbps up once the legacy equipment is phased out. That's extremely impressive.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
reply to andrewc2
The big advantage of 3.1 will be new modulations and OFDM.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

RARPSL

Suffern, NY
said by TheWiseGuy:

There is also the ability to do away with 6Mhz wide channels and use smaller allocations so congestion is less of an issue.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
said by RARPSL:

said by TheWiseGuy:

There is also the ability to do away with 6Mhz wide channels and use smaller allocations so congestion is less of an issue.

Technically I believe that is part of OFDM

said by multichannel article several posts up :

To gain even more efficiencies, DOCSIS 3.1 also incorporates orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) for both upstream and downstream. That will create 20-50 KHz channels transferred in a block – "mini-channels that are in a sense bonded together -- to break the traditional 6 MHz channelization (or 8 MHz in Europe).

--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
whatever channel widths are being used, the max should always be used, as with increased width, there will always be increased bandwidth, for example my cable provider only does 4 3.2Mhz wide channels for upstream, while it seems like optimum uses 2 6.4 wide channels, 64QAM at 3.2 is 15 megs per channel, 64QAM at 6.4 is 30mbps a channel, what needs to happen is that cable providers need to invest in cable plants that can handle upto 1Ghz, some cable plants can only go upto 750Mhz, while probably about 90% throughout north american have a 850Mhz max, imo would be done want make channels smaller we wanna increase available bandwidth by adding more frequency

RARPSL

Suffern, NY
said by 18286719:

whatever channel widths are being used, the max should always be used, as with increased width, there will always be increased bandwidth, for example my cable provider only does 4 3.2Mhz wide channels for upstream, while it seems like optimum uses 2 6.4 wide channels, 64QAM at 3.2 is 15 megs per channel, 64QAM at 6.4 is 30mbps a channel, what needs to happen is that cable providers need to invest in cable plants that can handle upto 1Ghz, some cable plants can only go upto 750Mhz, while probably about 90% throughout north american have a 850Mhz max, imo would be done want make channels smaller we wanna increase available bandwidth by adding more frequency

Also along with more frequencies, spread them among the users on the node. At the current time EVERYONE on the node gets the same set of frequencies which causes congestion. If you had (lets say) 16 frequencies for download and assigned 8 of them to each user on the node so no user had the same 8 as any other user on the node, you would be load leveling the usage on a frequency between different sets of users.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

at $300/month it's hardly consumer-friendly plans.
I'm more interested in seeing current plans becoming cheaper.

Thats the stand alone price, if you bundle it then it can be as low as $199.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
RARPSL, i think splitting nodes making less users per node makes more sense then having 16 channels per node and only giving 8 to one customer, my node has 4 QAM 64 3.2 channels for upstream, yet my modem usually just uses 2 cause it doesnt need more, so in away what u were talking about is already happening with my upstream, tho my cable provider has over 50mb of uncongested upload they wont give me more then 5mbps up, i only get 100/5, however once they put me on 2 more downstream channels i will have the 250/15 available