Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 edit

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Vmedia CSRs

Is the entire world full of morons who are customer service reps? First ciktel, now vmedia?

So I'm ready to jump since Distributel is no longer competitive.
Call, wait .. wait.. wait some more... still waiting.. Oh I get to leave a call back number... 3hrs later.. nobody calls.
So I get on the "chat"

I ask about 45/4 service, it's available in my hood (already confirmed that last week but ok)

Problems :
First I'm told I can't transfer from Distributel, no reason why, just can't.
Then she tells me I HAVE TO pay the 65 setup charge for Robbers to come out there and hookup my modem.

I own(or will once I meet with Teddy Boom) a SB6121
I'm quite capable of disconnecting my old 5101 and hooking up a 6121 , it's not rocket science.

NO its MANDATORY can;t be waived..

George what's wrong with your CSR's, where they don't explain why I can't transfer a service and why I need Rogers to hookup a modem when I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Re: Vmedia CSRs are horrible

Crtc and Rogers play a role here.
Protocols must be followed, it may not make sense, but that's the way it is. If you don't like it, lobby the Crtc for change.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Nitra:

Crtc and Rogers play a role here.
Protocols must be followed, it may not make sense, but that's the way it is. If you don't like it, lobby the Crtc for change.

Wrong, because there is a protocol in the tariffs for transferring of service, ie from one cable ISP to another. Obviously there is no need for a tech visit since a customer would be transferring from one active service to another.

Another is the forced modem purchase this ISP is requiring, which is not required by the tariff... All that's required is that a modem be of a certain brand/model and have approved firmware.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I own(or will once I meet with Teddy Boom) a SB6121

Only have SB6120 in stock
(well, I do have a couple of SB6121s, but they don't have customer s/n, so we'd have to jump through some hoops.. Anyway, they are the same modem!)
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

First I'm told I can't transfer from Distributel, no reason why, just can't.
Then she tells me I HAVE TO pay the 65 setup charge for Robbers to come out there and hookup my modem.

This one is could be because of Distributel. Apparently they don't play nice on disconnects:
»Re: distributel to start

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I thought VMedia only does $20 transfers coming directly from Rogers cable internet service, if its another IISP, its the full $65 (or there abouts) that every other IISP except Start asks for.

I don't see the problem here, the activation charges for Rogers have been well known on these forums... Although the long wait time is something George should get on top of.
said by HiVolt:

Wrong, because there is a protocol in the tariffs for transferring of service, ie from one cable ISP to another. Obviously there is no need for a tech visit since a customer would be transferring from one active service to another.

Curious now, does the tariff say the activation/install Rogers charges always waived if the an installation truck roll isn't necessary? Or is just just that tech visit that waived off?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Questions :

(1) Is CIK dictating modem politics/policy for VMedia ?

and/or

(2) Are CIK reps now doing CS for VMedia ?

Either of these situations might explain at least PART what just happened to you, as it's not necessarily a CRTC rule in play.

Some of this also happened to the OP here :

»CIKTEL - Literally a candidate for worst CS in the world..

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
If it's 20 or 30 bucks for the transfer, fine, but 65 bucks for something I don't need? I don't need a truck roll.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

As I've always understood it, when going from IISP to IISP on Rogers, the $65 is more of an activation charge than installation. Whether an address needs a truck roll or not, Rogers collects on that $65.

Maybe someone who's read the tariffs can shed some light if there are instances where the $65 activation fee isn't charged.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by TypeS:

As I've always understood it, when going from IISP to IISP on Rogers, the $65 is more of an activation charge than installation. Whether an address needs a truck roll or not, Rogers collects on that $65.

Maybe someone who's read the tariffs can shed some light if there are instances where the $65 activation fee isn't charged.

The fee is charged on any new ISP activation, that includes moving the service between houses or switching ISPs.

I believe that Start is currently not charging the the activation fee if someone already has an active cable internet service with another ISP or IISP.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
First of all Elwood, thanks very much for the thread title we now have a standard to aspire to here at VMedia.

Second, I am of course concerned about your wait, and would be interested to know if it was yesterday because we only provide tech support on Sunday, which would only be an explanation not an excuse. Any detail would be appreciated so that we can improve the service.

Third, the full explanation is essentially what the other posters and our CSR said. Install charges are mandatory whenever there is a switch from a non-Rogers cable internet customer to another ISP, in the sense that Rogers is entitled to charge it, regardless what they actually do. And charge it they do. Period. We have gone over this issue many times on this and other platforms, sorry if you missed it, but we get zero pleasure or money out of the charge, only grief. More than the grief you experienced with your wait.

Fourth, there may have been a misunderstanding about the Rogers technician hooking up your modem, they normally would not come into the house on an install unless they had to run cable.

Fifth, credit to Distributel we have not experienced any transfer issues with it so in this case I doubt it would be a factor.

I know the install situation is frustrating, but I hope the foregoing may temper your impression of our CSRs. If it does, it would be nice if you edited the title of the thread, but that is your call.

Best regards George.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
I have to wait till the end of August , next billing cycle ends anyway, I just like getting things done way in advance.

Doctor9
join:2012-11-26

Doctor9 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
If you would like the $49.99 45/4 service with CIK I would be able to help you out.

If you decide to transfer to CIK it will be 79.04 CAD after taxes for activation, plus $56.49 (49.99 + Tax) as a 1 month deposit which will cover your last month of service when you cancel as you have to give them 30 days notice. The grand total would be $135.53 after taxes.

(CIK is a pay after service)

If you buy their modem the total will be $157.01 after taxes for activation and modem. You will of course also have to pay $56.49 for last month's service when you leave the company. Total would be $213.50 after taxes.

I also have the contact for a senior manager who is very helpful (and actually competent) and would be able to help you out should you wish to make a transfer of a modem you bought yourself. It's unfortunate I did not make contact with him before I transferred over.

The initial set up fees are quite high, but with the cheap price you should be able to make that back if you are a customer of their for a while.

I realize your topic is about VMedia, but I thought I would give you all the information up front so you can better make your decision on which ISP (if any) you would like to go with considering VMedia is basically CIK but with different customer support.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to GeorgeBurger

Premium Member

to GeorgeBurger
George,

I called this this morning, about 10:30, I got a message that you guys were busy due to a large number of calls (no problem there). Ok now I'm first in line.. then I get a message "we're really busy" , but I'm first in line.
Finally I'm given the option for a call back and get someone's VM, (ext 6 something is all i remember).

It's now 3pm, nobody has called me back yet.

It's not the fees, it's the lack of explanation, the CSR says Rogers has to come out and provision the modem and hook it up. (if I buy it from you it would be 'provisioned" before I get it, or I I get from Teddy Boom, I'd provide vmedia with the information to provision it) I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I don't need a truck roll, and I can hook it up myself. When CSR's get stuck in a loop, it's frustrating has hell.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to Doctor9

to Doctor9
said by Doctor9:

VMedia is basically CIK but with different customer support.

You are incorrect. VMedia is not a white label reseller like others. It is only for cable services that they have partnered with CIKtel to resell their service until they reach their own ATPIA agreements with Rogers & Cogeco. The DSL services VMedia sells are from their own AGAS agreement with Bell. The IPTV service they sell, is their own in-house product.

In any case, after reading about your experience with CIKTel, I'm sure many would rather give VMedia the extra $3/month they charge. I don't think many would like to jump through the hoops you did to get your service ordered and running.
GeorgeBurger

1 edit

GeorgeBurger to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Hi, we can't duck this, we are fully responsible for our communications. Sometimes there might be a delay in responding occasioned by our need for info from CIKTel but apart from that the buck stops with us.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

In any case, after reading about your experience with CIKTel, I'm sure many would rather give VMedia the extra $3/month they charge. I don't think many would like to jump through the hoops you did to get your service ordered and running.

That's what I told him in a PM, there is no savings (36/yr) if I have do deal with someone and there is a language issue.
mkay
join:2008-04-13
Kingston, ON

mkay to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Vmedia CSRs

In cogego territory (not sure about rogers) start.ca waives the install fee if you already have an active cable connection that does not require a tech visit.

When I asked vmedia about transferring to them they said I couldn't use my own modem for 2 weeks and would have to rent one with a deposit+shipping and pay a $65 install fee. For one thing the cogeco/tek/start install fee is $50 so what is the extra $15 for?. I was interested in them because I like the vbox and iptv option but that is too much upfront cost and hassle.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

Hi Mkay, just to clarify one point, we offer to loan a modem in situations where there is a switch between ISPs(as opposed to from an incumbent like Cogeco) because the departing ISP does not always promptly deactivate the modem from their end. Until they do VMedia can't get its signal through, so our loan offer is an accommodation, not a requirement. As for the install fee, at least as far as Tek is concerned their site says $65 so I am not sure where the difference comes from. Best regards George.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to mkay

to mkay
Start waves a lot of small fees but the reality is they make up for it by having slightly more expensive packages. I'm not sure why people are surprised that a provider offering barebones pricing won't absorb the fees.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Some want to have their cake and eat it too, that consumer entitlement. Typically proper explanation though will calm folks, most times.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom to GeorgeBurger

Premium Member

to GeorgeBurger

Re: Vmedia CSRs are horrible

It you read the Rogers tariffs, the wholesale cost of a transfer is $15.98, and the wholesale cost of a new install is $63.53.

It is really interesting to note that GeorgeBurger finds that transferring between TPIA's always incurs the charge from Rogers. Certainly Rogers does lots of stuff in contradiction with the tariffs and the CRTC decisions--just try to use a DPC3825 on a TPIA service, for example. However, many people have reported successful transfers from Teksavvy to Start--including no technician dispatch. Maybe Start is getting charged the full install fee after all, but just eating the fee?!

Transferring has the potential to cause issues too. Just the other day a customer cancelled Teksavvy for August 8th, but got pulled in error last week. Apparently this is common. What if you cancel your Distributel to go to Vmedia, you get Distributel to push the cancellation right away so that Vmedia can pick it up, but Rogers rolls a truck right away to pull your line... This particular customer was moving, not a transfer, but it makes me wonder.

edit: is there a way to reply to multiple posters in the same post without quoting them all? Like the first should be reply to TypeS, the second should be reply to GeorgeBurger, the third should be reply to elwoodblues, but it is all one coherent post too, so I don't want to break it up. And TypeS, how do you post without the reply to at the top!?! You'd think I'd figure out how to use this site by this point, but...

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by Teddy Boom:

It you read the Rogers tariffs, the wholesale cost of a transfer is $15.98, and the wholesale cost of a new install is $63.53.

Interesting, wonder if by transfer that means between any cable ISPs on Rogers network (including Rogers itself) or just from Rogers to any IISP. This would probably explain Start's free transfers, eating $16 is a lot easier than $65 (which explains their $50 install, they eat up the first $15).

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Vmedia CSRs

I am not surprised you are having issues with either companies, but I bet you wouldn't would Start....Would just need to increase your budget to get proper support.

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
CSR's are right you can not Transfer from a TPIA to a TPIA with only the transfer fee, only from Rogers directly to a TPIA is a transfer.

You must cancel service, and re-subscribe a service with new provider, when going TPIA to TPIA. Which includes the 65$ activation fee. This is a mandated requirements. All Third part providers have to live with it.

As George said the fee covers them 'reconnecting' the service. And you do modem/vbox hook up inside.

When I ordered the Tech left a coax on my door knob, and I never saw him. He did everything outside. But he did call to let me know he activated it.
BTC Kevin

BTC Kevin

Regarding SB6121 on a 45/4 I'd suggest the DCM475/476 instead. the SB6121 is only 4x4 bonding not 8x4. You will start to see issue developing with SB6121 at that speed, on rogers networks. And rogers doesn't always work with them, or provision them for you. You need the correct firmwares for it, as they will not update it for you EVER. I had one and replaced it.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

The SB6121 is more then adequate for the 45/4 tier, its the 150Mbps tier that a 4x4 wouldn't be able to handle.

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

Hardware spec wise yes it's ok for 45/4 but it's pushing it in alot of cases on Rogers Network. It begins to have T3 time outs and ranging issues at the higher speeds or distances. And as you said can't even to 150mbps.

Incidentally the newer firmwares for the modem fix this issue. but Rogers only allows 1.0.6.1 firmware. Not less, not more. and if the firmware is not 1.0.6.1 they will not push a new one.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Any DOCSIS 3.0 4x4 Modem would be good for up to 100Mbps down, its above that it will have issues. And it wouldn't be signal issues. It would be that it starts maxing out each of the 4 channels. So 1), that particular acocunt would never see full speed and 2) could cause slowdowns for neighbours synced to the same channels.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to BTC Kevin

Premium Member

to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

Hardware spec wise yes it's ok for 45/4 but it's pushing it in alot of cases on Rogers Network. It begins to have T3 time outs and ranging issues at the higher speeds or distances. And as you said can't even to 150mbps.

Can't even do 150? Didn't Rogers used to have a policy of D2 upto 15mbit but not higher? That would mean that 8 channel modems are running above what they should be to get to 150.. Meanwhile, 4 channel modems would be good to 60, making 45 completely reasonable.