uniqs
BelowGrand
Premium Member
join:2011-08-16
New York, NY

BelowGrand

Premium Member

Need router that supports 100 mbps full duplex on the wan

Cogent Communications requires that the WAN port be set to 100 mbps full duplex. I need to find a reasonably priced router that will allow this.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

Take your pick. Any modern router meets that criteria.
BelowGrand
Premium Member
New York, NY

BelowGrand

Premium Member

Not true. The Cisco RV042 has no way to set the WAN port at all.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

It will auto negotiate 100 full on both ports. Does Cogent's gear that you're connecting not support auto negotiate?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Seeing as they said to force the settings, I'd guess "no". (WAN circuits rarely connect to a switch, and long-haul gear tends to be very limited in it's abilities; plus there's no way to communicate the link state to both ends, so if one end negotiates something different than the other, the link doesn't work.)
BelowGrand
Premium Member
New York, NY

BelowGrand to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
That is correct. Furthermore, Cogent will not honor their SLA unless the router can be set to 100 mbps full duplex.

The company is small - 5 workstations. They do not need a fancy, expensive router otherwise.

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

1 edit

cp

Premium Member

Nevermind, the ZyXEL doesn't allow you to manage the speed on the ports...

Carry on...

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
·Acanac

LondonDave to BelowGrand

Premium Member

to BelowGrand
An ASA isn't a router per say but you can set the speed and duplex on the switchport. It also works well as a firewall. The ASA5505 can be had for a pretty reasonable price.

Another option would be a Cisco 881 which is a router although I don't know if it would be capable of 100 meg throughput.

kamikatze
join:2007-11-02

kamikatze

I have an 861 that handles wirespeed (100Mbps) with some CPU to spare with NAT and a few ACLs. The 881 is pretty much the same silicon under the hood. That being said, i'd still go with an ISR G2 1905 or 1921, overall a much better box.
BelowGrand
Premium Member
New York, NY

BelowGrand

Premium Member

Thanks all. I'll look into the 861 and 881.
BelowGrand

BelowGrand

Premium Member

So the 861 is EOL. Looking at the 881 specs, I can't tell for sure that I can set the port to full duplex.

kamikatze
join:2007-11-02

kamikatze

You can.
Tubes#sh ip int br fa4
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet4              89.1x.x.xx      YES NVRAM  up                    up
Tubes#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Tubes(config)#int fa4
Tubes(config-if)#speed
Tubes(config-if)#speed ?
  10    Force 10 Mbps operation
  100   Force 100 Mbps operation
  auto  Enable AUTO speed configuration

Tubes(config-if)#duplex ?
  auto  Enable AUTO duplex configuration
  full  Force full duplex operation
  half  Force half-duplex operation

It's old school. Or ..regular school. Whatever.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to BelowGrand

to BelowGrand
If you don't setup for 100/Full you will get a nice steady stream of errors that do all kinds of bad things to voice traffic. We use Cisco 2811s for Cogent circuits. They are cheap, reliable, and flexible.
battleop

battleop to BelowGrand

to BelowGrand
Almost every Cisco box that can do 10/100/auto can do full/half/auto. I'm sure there are some exceptions but they are few and far between.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to BelowGrand

MVM

to BelowGrand
So you're looking for a Cisco Cisco box, or can you live with Cisco Small Business or Linksys by formerly-Cisco-now-soon-to-be-Belkin?

As others have said, Cisco kit running IOS'll allow you to configure the speed / duplex on the layer 3 interfaces to your
heart's content. It just depends how fast your internet pipe to Cogent is, what your technical skill level is, and what
your budget is.

The contradiction you have OP between your desire for a WAN interface that can have its speed / duplex set and this
said by BelowGrand:

The company is small - 5 workstations. They do not need a fancy, expensive router otherwise.

kinda makes me worry... does Cogent offer any options / opinions as to what works, or offer any sort of managed services
for this link?

Regards
BelowGrand
Premium Member
New York, NY

BelowGrand

Premium Member

"So you're looking for a Cisco Cisco box, or can you live with Cisco Small Business or Linksys by formerly-Cisco-now-soon-to-be-Belkin?"

We have an RV042 now. It does not allow me to configure full duplex. The pipe is not fast, but Cogent insists on 100 MBPS. They will not honor their SLA without this. We'll decide whether to switch to a new provider (which might be less expensive anyway) or replace the router.

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave

Premium Member

Stick a managed switch between your router and cogent. You can set speed and duplex on each port and everyone stays happy.
cwpc
join:2003-04-13
Crum Lynne, PA

cwpc to BelowGrand

to BelowGrand
»www.ubnt.com/edgemax