uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maf

join:2005-02-10
Sherwood Park, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

[AB] Unable to load most websites?

Anyone else experiencing issues loading up websites in the Edmonton area? I can load nearly any website that uses HTTPS (port 443) but about 95% of websites on HTTP(port 80) will not load 90% of the time for the last several days. I've spoken to a shaw support person on the phone..they had no idea. Bugged the twitter people...no idea either. What bugs me the most is I can't get anyone to my house till Aug 7th. That's over 2 weeks away!

Sites that always load: facebook.com and twitter.com (both force you to use HTTPS).
Sites that almost never load: dslreports.com, engadget.com, radioio.com are a few of the most "reliable" to not load.

Sites are fine...I can browse to them on my iPad; which is on Telus LTE. I can tether my desktop and laptops to my iPhone or iPad (both Telus LTE) and I can get to the sites. When I connect back to my Shaw connection (BB100 just fyi) I can't load them 90% of the time. I even tethered to my work iPhone (Rogers LTE) and I can access them through it. It's just Shaw.

Any suggestions? Contacting shaw seems to be useless. I've tried using different DNS servers. Shaw DNS, OpenDNS and Google DNS; all 3 have the exact same issue. Hooking directly to the modem in safe mode on my Win7 machine...same issue.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1
Are you using a router?

Maf

Sherwood Park, AB
reply to Maf
Yes I do but like my original post stated...issue happens even when connected directly to the modem. Unless you're referring to the pos Shaw Modem/Router combo...no I don't; it's a Motorola SB6120 modem only.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
reply to Maf
Really stupid question - are you sure you're on BB100? Because for BB50+ you need a DOCSIS3 modem and the only one Shaw provides are either the SMC or Cisco router/modems... in fact, when you upgraded Shaw should've gave you one of those. They did when we switched from HS Extreme to BB50 - they took back the old modem and gave us a Cisco.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
The 6120 is a docsis 3 modem. They gave those out for a brief period before they started using the Cisco and SMC ones.
They don't use them anymore because they will only bond 4 downstream channels, as opposed to the 8 that the others do.
They'll probably swap it for a Cisco if you end up having a service call.

What happens if you leave a ping running to one of the websites you can reach, and compare that to one of the ones you can't?
What do you see if you leave a ping running to your gateway?
Have you made any changes to your in house RF wiring? (splitters etc)

Maf

Sherwood Park, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
@tlhIngan: like rotohoto said it is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I don't have access to BB250 so there's no point in changing my modem quite yet.

@rotohoto: I can ping sites that wont load...they seem to ping ok. Never tried to compare the pings to a ping of a site that does work though...I'll try that next time.
I've tried to ping my gateway(router) and it responds fine. 1ms reply and all. Never left it running for extended periods of time though.
No splitters or anything added to the house. Been running as-is for the last 7 years. I did remove a splitter to boost the signal a bit but that didn't fix the problem.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
try this from a command line, to a website that isn't working:
telnet google.com 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

(hit enter twice after the GET line, you won't see anything while typing the GET line if you are in windows)
and see if it gives you anything.
If it does, your browser is blocking you for some reason. You could also try a different web browser than the one you're using, but the telnet version ensures you're not importing anything broken even if you install a different browser.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Yes, I am thinking computer issue too.

You didn't mention if you tried your Apple devices WiFi to your Shaw connection, does that allow you to browse the sites?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

jordanp

join:2004-06-17
Edmonton, AB
There have been repeated issues in Sherwood Park and Fort. Saskatchewan where we were getting the same issues. Our internet has been fine since they fixed it last afternoon. The relevant thread on their support site is:

»community.shaw.ca/thread/7729?st···tstart=0

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
That was supposed to have been fixed days ago though?

Maf

Sherwood Park, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Maf
@stolen & kevinds: It's not a computer related issue. It was happening on all computers and wireless devices in the house. Windows PC/Laptops, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro (2 of them), 3x iPhones and 2x iPads. And even when connecting my MacBook Pro directly to the modem..the issue remained. Same as when support had me reboot my desktop into safe mode and try with it connected directly...issue remained.

@jordanp: Yeah..this is like the third time this issue has happened. Each time I get retarded "I don't know" replies from anyone who offers shaw support. It's as if they don't document these symptoms so they can fix it in a few hours rather than 4 days like it took them on the shaw community forum there. You'd think after 2 or 3 routing issues like this they'd make a document for those tier 1 support guys saying, "If the customer experiences these issues...it may be a routing type issue!". Not that difficult. Use to do stuff like that at the old company I worked for...made resolving "odd" issues very easy for everyone in the support group.

Otherwise internet has been working ok for about a day now...hopefully Shaw actually fixed it this time. I'd of already moved to Telus if it was available in my area. It's annoying losing internet like that for days at a time when you strictly work from home.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
@Maf, you didn't say you tried other devices, only your iPhone and tablet tethered to your cellular connections, nothing else to your Shaw connection, so I asked

Next time, instead of pinging your modem, try pinging your default Gateway
--

AnonShawUser

join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB
reply to Maf
The past 3 or so days I've been noticing some strange network issues myself. Connected directly to the gateway, and it's simply unable to resolve the hostname. some sites work, others are completely dark. Even google can't resolve when this happens.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Maf
Try pinging a known 'good' (normally responds to pings), to see if your internet connection is down
--

AnonShawUser

join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB
As said, even google doesn't resolve. Not just that it won't reply to pings, my computer, and two others, won't resolve the host when it happens. I don't think you can really get a better host than that. And yet, some other websites will work, and if I already have an established connection at the time, it does stay connected and transmitting. I'm hoping the issue goes away as silently as it first appeared.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
That is still just testing resolving addresses, try pinging 8.8.8.8 an actual IP that is 'known good'.

Or which Google IP are you trying to ping?

This should help determine if you are having a DNS issue or an connectivity issue.
--