Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Luna

join:2013-07-15
Martinsburg, WV

[DSL] Extreme Flux and Traceroute Results

Click for full size
So this afternoon there seems to be an extreme about of flux in my speeds, going from the normal 2 meg download to 1 meg, and changing every minute up and down. I also ran tracert to some popular websites and it seems data is being dropped or delayed greatly. Is anyone else having these issues? I'm still using the Open DNS.

atigerman

join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI
The traceroute doesn't look that bad, i admit the ping times on the first one are high half way through it. But you're out of frontiers network at that point. What i do notice is the two times of less than 1 ms, that looks like you are going through two routers. That might be the cause of the issue right there.....

Can you describe the layout of your home network?

Luna

Martinsburg, WV
The problem got worse last night to the point that Netflix wouldn't even stream anymore. This morning around 7 am everything was back to normal and fine, but by 10 am it is starting the same flux again. I have a Netgear router and a D-Link modem (my own, not Frontiers), with 2 computers and a smartphone on my network and I'm the only user. I have checked all my security and there is no one else on my system. I guess I'll be stuck with calling them this afternoon if it gets bad again, which it might as congestion time sets in.

atigerman

Tigerton, WI
reply to Luna
The reason i ask is the Dlink modem looks like it's also doing some routing hence the 10.0.0.1, and then you have another router after that the Netgear. I'm no expert, but the one thing i've learned is a person doesn't want to ever double route because it can create port routing issues.

You might want to hold off calling them until you have some data to back your claims. Like speed tests, routing tests, and ping tests. But when you do call them, make sure to ask to be elevated to a higher level of support because you are having issues of congestion.

Let me just say Tier 1 = Secretaries

Luna

Martinsburg, WV
Thanks. Actually I took out the router just to make sure, and tonight the connection was worse. Did the Frontier Speedtest and got a .69 mbps download speed (at this time of night I'd expect 1.5-1.7). Called Technical support and a tech is scheduled for Friday morning.

atigerman

Tigerton, WI
Just off hand, what should you have?

Luna

Martinsburg, WV
The problem got so bad last night that I couldn't even connect at all. It seems like their congestion problem all over again. My father is having issues with his and he's 30 minutes from me. I'm on a 3 mbps download speed plan...the best I can get here.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to atigerman
said by atigerman:

The reason i ask is the Dlink modem looks like it's also doing some routing hence the 10.0.0.1, and then you have another router after that the Netgear. I'm no expert, but the one thing i've learned is a person doesn't want to ever double route because it can create port routing issues.

I ran cascaded NAT ("double NAT") for a number of years without trouble. In most circumstances there should be no problem. Exceptions would be running a VPN service behind cascaded NAT (connecting a VPN client outbound works, though), and unusual protocols (I finally broke down and bridged my SpeedStream 4100 when I learned that it wasn't passing Protocol 41, needed for an IPv6 6-in-4 tunnel).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Expand your moderator at work