Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

1 edit

Jackorama

Premium Member

FIXED - Two more days and I will know if I will no longer

have phone service and internet.

It looks like cable maybe a no go, wont know until tech gets here on Wed. But it looks that way from this post »[INTERNET] New Install Internet & Phone - Landlord has stipulati

Pisses me off that being such good tenants for 15 years (never late once with the rent) and the landlord has to put impossible stipulations for us to get cable, when the apt. below didn't have stipulations for cable. Not, only is he denying us phone and internet, but we couldn't get cable tv either. You can only get one channel here with an antenna and that is channel 11.

Do not know how we are going to survive without affordable phone service we would have gotten with cable. Wont be able to make travel arrangements to my hospital appointments, to get my medical equipment that is needed. Oh, man, this is a real f***up. And, why in the hell did the landlord wait until this past Sat. to give up any indication that he was going to make it as difficult as possible for us. I asked for the letter of permission a month ago.

I didn't think, the internet is needed too. Because my class at the hospital on Tues. for the Weight Management Program has reference tools links on the internet to help us with our daily life. At least I can keep going to the class, because I pre-booked the cab for that.

I should know better than to trust people, I have to see this as my own fault. If we don't get the cable, then I am going to exercise my tenants rights.

No more maintaining the grounds for the landlord, no more doing minor repairs around here, no more contacting the police and securing the apartments when break-ends occur or when damage is done to the building by hooligans, no more being the eyes and ears for the landlord for anything needing done around here and I am definable going to submit a list of repairs for my apt. that are needed to be done (I will have to mail it). I was original going to do them myself, but not anymore.

I've been kicked in the teeth so many times now, life is just not worth it and I'm to ill to keep fighting. End of my rant.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Re: [Rant] Two more days and I will know if I will no longer...

Why not get a dry loop dsl connection with VOIP from someone other than Bell?
TLS2000

TLS2000

Premium Member

With Teksavvy:

DSL 7/1 service is $24.99/mo plus $5 dry loop fee.

Tektalk basic is $9.99 a month. You'd be looking at $40/mo plus tax, essentially. That's way cheaper than what you showed Bell would charge you.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Jackorama

to Jackorama
Tell your landlord getting a phone is required for medical reasons and he has to accommodate you by allowing the install or he can get a lawyer and dish out 10k minimum to go to the Human Rights Tribunal.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
Would if I still have a way to phone them after Wed. if no go with Cogeco. We keep to our self and don't know anyone since the students took over the area a few years back. The only reason I did not go with Teksavvy first is because Bell makes it difficult with hook up, speed, causes all sorts of problems, etc. for Teksavvy customers.

A month ago, getting Cogeco was going to be no problem. Two days ago, it became a problem with no certain yes or no solution yet.

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

You have the ability to order telephone service. Even if you have to go with a basic phone line for a month with Bell, you can still do that.

I know it sucks that you have to go through the motions, but there are options there, so the landlord has no obligation to accommodate your desire to have an ugly cable wire strung up on the outside of the house if they don't want to.

Peterboro, there is still Bell service available there. Just because the OP doesn't want to pay for or can't afford the Bell services is no reason for the landlord to allow the Cogeco installation. There's no human rights violations happening here.

cognizantt6
join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC

cognizantt6 to Jackorama

to Jackorama
If the install is problematic once Cogeco shows up, then by all means let your landlord know he created the problem and you're upset.

If you're working at maintaining his property, resolving problems with tenants, etc., tell him that's all over.

Call your local rental board to determine your rights. Find out what allowable rental increases are, and what you can do to get the owner to fix up your apartment.

If the landlord wants to shoot himself in the foot, let him. It's going to cost him considerably more to get someone else in.

If you're not getting paid appropriately for what you're doing even if the cable goes through, ask yourself - is it worth your time and energy to continue doing the work for the landlord for what he's paying you ? At the very least you're entitled to minimum wage for acting on behalf of the landlord. Once the situation is resolved, make it clear you're a tenant, not an employee, and either he pays you accordingly or it's all over.

Find out if your local library offers internet services. What the cost may be, so at least you can work on your class if you don't have home internet service. Other places may offer internet services.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to TLS2000

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Peterboro, there is still Bell service available there. Just because the OP doesn't want to pay for or can't afford the Bell services is no reason for the landlord to allow the Cogeco installation. There's no human rights violations happening here.

I agree the argument is tenuous at best. On the other hand the landlord may not want to take a chance and allow the install considering the lower unit was allowed.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
But what really sucks is the landlord has let Cogeco go into other apartments with their cable wire strung up on the outside of the siding. He hasn't asked cable to remove the wiring while the apartments are empty, no because he knows that would not be good for renting to future tenants. He can also put up the rent as high as he wants between tenants as well as the yearly government allowed increases. Since students took over the area and renting to students has a big turn around. I almost think he is doing it just because he can double the rent if he gets us out.

Even Bell has cable strung up from the front along the side of the building, going in at the back of the building.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
judging from the photos, i'm not sure what the big deal is about the cable wire...there are already other wires there, and it's not like that place is some magazine cover dream house...it looks like a regular affordable rental home...nothing a cable line is going to affect at all.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

Exactly!!!

The place was an electronics repair shop before and only has one spot for parking. The 4 apartments are very small 1 bedrooms. One of the apartments has a no window bedroom right under the hallway stairs. Since it is almost full student housing on our street now, this place would only be a little better than what the slumlords are renting in the "Student Ghetto" area.

The only reason I started to help out around here was because the landlord did not raise our rent every year. Thought he was being nice. I know there was 1 year that the government didn't allow a rent increase and I think in 2011 it was only a .6% increase that was allowed. I never asked him to not increase the rent, and was always waiting and willing to pay the government guideline yearly increase. Never gave him any reason to think other wise.

I just don't think this was fair, what he pulled on us. Especially when he works in a respected position at a out-of-town college.

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I agree the argument is tenuous at best. On the other hand the landlord may not want to take a chance and allow the install considering the lower unit was allowed.

Or possibly the landlord wasn't aware when it was installed in the lower unit. I've seen Shaw do installations in apartments without permission from the property owner. I'm sure Cogeco has the same thing happen.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Jackorama

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

Pisses me off that being such good tenants for 15 years (never late once with the rent) and the landlord has to put impossible stipulations for us to get cable, when the apt. below didn't have stipulations for cable. Not, only is he denying us phone and internet, but we couldn't get cable tv either. You can only get one channel here with an antenna and that is channel 11.

Do not know how we are going to survive without affordable phone service we would have gotten with cable. Wont be able to make travel arrangements to my hospital appointments, to get my medical equipment that is needed. Oh, man, this is a real f***up. And, why in the hell did the landlord wait until this past Sat. to give up any indication that he was going to make it as difficult as possible for us. I asked for the letter of permission a month ago.

You may (and I mean may) have a case for the Landlord/Tenant tribunal. I suggest you contact your nearest Community Legal Clinic (in you case, here and have a conversation with a worker or duty counsel. While cable TV is not a right, the question of provision of phone service and your landlord's unreasonable restriction may be an angle worth raising. In a standard lease there is an optional provision prohibiting the affixing of satellite TV hardware, but nothing else. If you did not agree to such a restriction, I think you may have a case. Personally, I don't think the landlord has a leg to stand on.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to TLS2000

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Or possibly the landlord wasn't aware when it was installed in the lower unit. I've seen Shaw do installations in apartments without permission from the property owner. I'm sure Cogeco has the same thing happen.

Well he is aware now and the OP is just asking for an installation comparable to other tenants. The landlord would be hard pressed to argue at the OHRT that accommodating the OP constituted an undue hardship. And as DKS has posted there is the LT Board application for denial of reasonable enjoyment of the premise and an abatement in rent.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

1 edit

Jackorama to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
I check my lease from 1998 and it was an old one from way before that time. There is nothing about satellite tv hardware or anything about affixing anything to the building in it.

Thanks, I will look into this as well as other suggestions.
Jackorama

Jackorama to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by TLS2000:

Well he is aware now and the OP is just asking for an installation comparable to other tenants. The landlord would be hard pressed to argue at the OHRT that accommodating the OP constituted an undue hardship. And as DKS has posted there is the LT Board application for denial of reasonable enjoyment of the premise and an abatement in rent.

Thanks peterboro, something I will have to look into.
Jackorama

Jackorama to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Sorry I just found it in section B - Care and Use of Rented Premises, sub section 42 under Alterations:

"No locks, awnings, T.V. or radio antennae, extra Telephonic connections, gas or electric fittings shall be installed, altered, or added to by the Lessee without the written permission of the Lessor, heating plumbing, electrical and mechanical equipment and fixtures shall not be tampered with by Lessee, members of the family or guests. In the event of improper operation of such equipment from any cause, the Lessor shall be notified immediately."

TLS2000
Premium Member
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

TLS2000 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
Cable TV is not a right. Denying the ability to have cable installed is not a good enough reason for an abatement in rent. This becomes especially true when you consider that the OP has Bell services available to them that include phone, DSL and possibly (but not certainly) Fibe TV.

The landlord doesn't have to prove that it's an undue hardship to the landlord. The tenant has to prove that it's an undue hardship on the tenant.

Now that we see the lease agreement specifically spells out that no modifications to the property can be made to accommodate radio antennae without permission of the landlord, it's pretty clear that the OP would not have a leg to stand on.

This all comes down to cable TV since the OP has the ability to get every other service through other means.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

No don't want cable TV. Just the phone and internet. Bell just put up the prices for basic phone, and I really need to put that extra money towards a CPAP machine. With Cogeco prices it made it possible for me to budget for it.

I should have the same rights as the other tenants and be able to have Cogeco. Also, there was cable here before we moved in and someone physical cut the cable on the out side of the building.

The lease agreement was a 6 month and from 1998, we have been month to month when that lease expired.

Yes, It is down to the landlord, it's his building. But, we have done a lot of favours for him. Some he paid for and a lot he didn't. This is a rant, I don't expect to get anything out of this.

If we can't get the cable installed then we will return the money for the grass cutting and summit a list of repairs. Basically we will become only tenants and not alert him to problems around the building. He will have to start inspecting his property on a regular basis.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
Given the crappy job the last installer did, no wonder the LL has stipulated the installation be done right, or not at all...

If you think that cable-phone is any cheaper then POTS, you're mistaken; or being taken in by the marketing hype; so that argument's a non-starter with me, too.

He's not "denying" you anything - he's saying the last time cable was installed in the building, they did a piss-poor job, and he doesn't want that repeated. It's his building, his investment, and his right.

To those telling you to goto the Landlord/Tenant tribunal; well, I suppose it's your right - but it's a pretty weak argument, IMO...

Basic line from Cogeco is 34 bucks, there lowest internet tier is 45/mth.... So after the promo's and discounts are done (in 6 months), you're looking at 80/mth.

27 bucks a month for basic DSL from TekSavvy; +5 for Dryloop, +10 for TekTalk... So 45 bucks, give or take...

Go with DSL, and just avoid the hassle with the LL. Resist the urge to become a pain in the ass for the LL, as you need the place to live, more then he needs another pain in the ass tenant. He can find another tenant a lot easier then you can find another place to live, I'm imagining...

Just my thoughts....

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to TLS2000

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

The landlord doesn't have to prove that it's an undue hardship to the landlord. The tenant has to prove that it's an undue hardship on the tenant.

In this case, because of disability, he may.

Now that we see the lease agreement specifically spells out that no modifications to the property can be made to accommodate radio antennae without permission of the landlord, it's pretty clear that the OP would not have a leg to stand on.

But modifications have been allowed to other tenants and not disconnected or removed by the landlord. Again, no precedent. Landlord has a weakened case.
DKS

DKS to Jackorama

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

No don't want cable TV. Just the phone and internet. Bell just put up the prices for basic phone, and I really need to put that extra money towards a CPAP machine.

If you are on ODSP, have a conversation with your caseworker. I believe they pay the ADP co-payment. ADP pays 75% of a CPAP cost.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

Exactly!!!

The place was an electronics repair shop before and only has one spot for parking. The 4 apartments are very small 1 bedrooms. One of the apartments has a no window bedroom right under the hallway stairs.

i don't believe a windowless bedroom is even legal.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

In general circumstances, it's not... There must be an "egress" window, of a certain size, both in area, and minimum dimensions.

There's also typically requirements for fresh air and light entry in the building code; so a window or exterior door are usually required.

Hm
@videotron.ca

Hm to dirtyjeffer0

Anon

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Jackorama:

Exactly!!!

The place was an electronics repair shop before and only has one spot for parking. The 4 apartments are very small 1 bedrooms. One of the apartments has a no window bedroom right under the hallway stairs.

Hmmm You could be right there. I believe that is against code. But it may also have to do with *when* this place was converted to apartments. Some from decades ago may be under a grandfathered clause. This may also change prov by prov.

Doesn't pass todays codes for windows. Which are firecodes. Must fit a fireman with an O2 tank on his back. Very possible the LL could be on the hook to update this, depending on if the current apt passes previous code to when it was converted to an apt. If not, then he loses the grandfathered clause and must reno it.

Only takes a call to the city or fire dept. That is, if someone wanted to play tit for tat.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Basic line from Cogeco is 34 bucks, there lowest internet tier is 45/mth.... So after the promo's and discounts are done (in 6 months), you're looking at 80/mth.

27 bucks a month for basic DSL from TekSavvy; +5 for Dryloop, +10 for TekTalk... So 45 bucks, give or take...

Go with DSL, and just avoid the hassle with the LL. Resist the urge to become a pain in the ass for the LL, as you need the place to live, more then he needs another pain in the ass tenant. He can find another tenant a lot easier then you can find another place to live, I'm imagining...

Just my thoughts....

Cogeco Basic: $23.99

Bell Basic: $27.94

Cogeco's $34 plan is one step up from Basic.

Also the OP should understand VoIP services from TSI or others like Vonage, VOIP.ms aren't exactly like ordering and getting telco/cablco phone service installed.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Cogeco's advertised price of 23.99* is actually 33.99 with a bundle discount... That's why I threw the caveat of "after promo's and discounts are done" in.

I agree VoIP isn't like POTS; but I believe TSI preconfigures the ATA for you, so it is pretty much plug and play.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
Bell basic $31.18 before tax here in Kingston.

Telephone Services
Monthly Charges
Amount

Monthly Services (Jun 13 to Jul 12)
1 Residence line 28.22
1 Deny prompt 0.00
1 Deny Call Return Pay-Per-Use 0.00
1 911 emergency service access 0.16
1 Touch-Tone service 2.80
Total Monthly Charges (before taxes) 31.18

Cogeco's basic $23.99

Diffrence of $7.19, a savings of $86.28 a year.

Now Internet from Bell:
Monthly Services (May 22 to Jun 03)
1 McAfee® Security from Bell Good 0.00
Monthly Services (Jun 04 to Jul 03)
1 HN Modem Lease 4.95
1 Total Performance 57.95
1 McAfee® Security from Bell Good 0.00
Total Monthly Charges (before taxes) 62.90
Total Internet Services (before taxes) 62.90

Internet from Cogeco: $37.90 (faster speeds and higher cap)

Diffrence of $25.00

Edit: Bell doesn't offer a bundle price for 2 services, Cogeco does.
Jackorama

Jackorama to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
This is not about VoIP, POTS, etc. I know about all that, at least the basics.

This is about a landlord who could have said no a month ago. Why even give a letter of permission if you know it is going to be impossible to do. Why tarnish your reputation with such good tenants that helped you out when ever you needed it. I'm not going to do anything foolish to get me kicked out of here, but I am going to become a tenant like everyone else and exercise my legal rights as a tenant under the Landlord Tenant Act.
Jackorama

Jackorama

Premium Member

Another kick in the teeth moment.

I just got a phone call from the pharmacists. She called to let me know that now I am only covered for 4 boxes a year for my diabetic test strips. 1 box costs $100.00 per month and I use a box a month. Sorry Family Doctor and Hospital Nurse Practitioner, no more testing 3 to 7 times a day.

It never stops.