SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

FF XIV - A Realm Reborn

This has flown completely under my admittedly piss-poor radar screen.

The entirely rebuilt MMORPG launches on PC and PlayStation 3 in August. The beta supports both platforms and cross-play.

Registration closed today for the fourth and final beta test. Go live is late August.

A little background if you have been as inattentive as I:

Naoki Yoshida is about as far away from the stereotypical image of a Japanese businessman as you are likely to get. Clad in designer jeans with expertly styled hair and numerous finger rings, he looks more like a rock star than anything else. His business card even features a caricature of himself smoking while relaxing with a cup of coffee. But regardless of what he looks like, he is, at heart, a passionate MMO gamer who wants to turn Final Fantasy XIV from colossal failure into striking success.

While not a member of the team working on the original version of Final Fantasy XIV, Yoshida feared the game was doomed even before its release. After the bad reaction from players during the Beta test, even the staff thought the game wasn't ready for it to go on sale. "When I heard that it was going to go on sale as planned, I thought, that will probably be a big mistake."

To Yoshida, the biggest problems with the original Final Fantasy XIV came from how the game itself was envisioned and developed. Final Fantasy XI, Square Enix's other Final Fantasy MMO, was developed as a game where Final Fantasy would meet EverQuest—the top MMORPG of the day. In fact, according to Yoshida, the entire staff played EverQuest for at least a year while developing FFXI, trying to figure out just what exactly made it work so well. "I think it would've been good to do the same thing [for the original FFXIV]."

In Yoshida's opinion, the reason FFXI was a success is that it took the areas where Final Fantasy was strongest—cutscenes, dramatic scenarios, and story-driven content—and input them into an EverQuest inspired framework.

However, when the original FFXIV was in development, the goal of the project was simply to make a game that was different from Final Fantasy XI. Yoshida feels that the creators didn't recognize that the global standard of MMOs had been significantly raised in recent years. He would have suggested a different path for the game—one that mirrored FFXI's own creation. "I think it would've been good if they tried seeing what happened if they turned World of Warcraft into Final Fantasy. So, because they tried only to make something that was 'different from FFXI,' they ended up with not much of anything."

"They should have said, 'Hey you, go play WoW for a year [for inspiration].'"

Yoshida then talked at some length about the origins and development of MMORPGs. How they developed from tabletop RPGs into games like Ultima and Wizardy—before moving to the online world. What was important in his eyes is how early RPGs borrowed the best elements from and influenced each other. That's how the genre advanced and made new games. "Unless you are a genius, you cannot make something completely new from nothing."

When it comes to his FFXIV, A Realm Reborn, Yoshida believes they are on the right track. He has the best of the best from inside the company to work on this game and they are adamant the game not be released until it is ready. "We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again—if we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company."

That said, Yoshida said his biggest worry while making A Realm Reborn has been the schedule. World class MMOs have so much in them that time is always an issue. There's got to be a lot for players to do. When coding started for A Realm Reborn, Yoshida and his team only had 16 months until the planned relaunch. At times, he had wondered if it was really possible to do all the work in two years. He lamented that he knows players wanted it fixed as quickly as possible, but if it is released before next year, he thinks they won't enjoy it.

When asked in closing how he would play A Realm Reborn, on PC or PlayStation 3, Yoshida responded, "I became an online gamer 16 or 17 years ago and I've always played on the PC. I played Diablo, Ultima Online, EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, and World of Warcraft—all always on the PC." He feels that, personally, if he did things like PvP without his trusty mouse and keyboard, he would definitely lose. But he mentioned that there was more than a little appeal to lying on his couch with the controller.

Coming out of the interview, I found myself more than a little impressed. Yoshida was upfront and frank about the problems of Final Fantasy XIV and the challenges that await Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. But more than that, our short talk left me with faith that if anyone can fix the game, it's him.

»kotaku.com/5963155/new-f ··· original
Sprakk
join:2009-10-01

Sprakk

I signed up for the closed beta last time and was met with nothing but disgust when it was first released.

This time I signed up for the closed beta, and didn't even get a chance to play it at all.

I'll give it a whirl when it is either in late stages of open beta or live.

I'm a long-time fan of the FF series. Not just the games, but the movies/animes/collectibles. I've been on a downward spiral since FF12. Hopefully this re-release re-ignites my interest.

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

Same as Sprakk, I'm a huge FF fan. I've played almost all of them, and I'm super excited about this re-release. I bought the original FFXIV, but didn't bother with it when it just crashed and burned basically. This remastered version though looks extremely promising! I'm definitely going to be playing the hell out of this game when it releases!

If you are going to be playing, recommend a server and let's get a guild going to play some. This will be the first game I test on my new PC once it's built and I return. I may be about 2 months behind starting up this game (late oct/early nov) but I'll deifnitely play. Let me know server name so I know where to go.

Does anyone know any word on if they'll release a physical copy of the collector's edition for PC? As of now, it's only a downloadable version, and I'm a big physical copy fan. Let me know if you have any insight into this.
malem83
join:2006-08-25
L'Ancienne-Lorette, QC

malem83

I won't say much but as far as I'm concerned, there is a world of difference between the first release and AAR (a realm reborn). I pretty much liked it so far.

Remulis
join:2011-09-01
Bealeton, VA

Remulis to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Played in the Phase 3 Beta and was blown away with how much it has progessed from when it was first released. Yoshida has done an amazing job giving 14 a breath of new life with ARR. If you have not check it out do so now if your interested, you won't be dissapointed with the new direction Yoshida has taken it.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Any updates on this? Is anyone playing this? What do you think?

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

I am playing it right now, have all battle classes to lvl 8, and my main class (arcanist) to lvl 27.

Main story: this is good. Keeps me engaged with what is going on and I don't feel like I am just someone running around helping random folks with no real purpose.

Fates: think of world events in GW2, there are a lot of them and one of the fastest ways to level atm.

Dungeons: So far have been good. The trifecta of tank, healer and dps are enforced. Mobs are not faceroll easy by a single class, so group does have to work as a team. They aren't terribly long so long as the tank doesn't want to stop between pulls. At my level this isn't necessary unless the tank is new or lost.

Classes: They seem interesting and the system is pretty involved. You don't ever need an alt as your one character can be every class in the game and switch between them by equipping a different weapon. There are specialty type classes that lose some of the customization of the non-standard classes, but provide specific benefits, such as a bard. This is a deep subject and I won't go much further into it anymore.

Professions: These are actually classes and work the same way except for the customization. Your one character can have and change between all professions.

World: I prefer this art-style over WoW, and it feels closer to GW2. Zones aren't contiguous and you will have a load screen between each one.

Other: The game is not without it's flaws. It is not as responsive as WoW. This isn't to say that it feels terrible, but Blizzard really did a better job in this department. The map sucks. It takes me much too long to find out how to get to the place I want to go since I am cheap and won't pay teleportation fees. The UI is fully configurable within game. Sounds and music are very good, but the game lacks the number of voice-overs most other games now include. Expect to read if you want to find out what and why you are doing things. Gold-sellers are TERRIBLE. This is my biggest problem right now, They flood the city chat channel and you will need to blacklist at least 4-5 before you clear it up to use.

The game launched with some nice convenience features such as a dungeon finder and equipment sets. You have a separate inventory for gear than for items and you can hold up to 25 different gear sets at a time (25 bag slots per gear slot). Changing between classes and gear sets is very simple. There is also the lodestone and smartphone soft token. The Lodestone is similar to WoW Armory, though not as polished, and the smart token helps secure your account for free.

The next major patch is supposed to introduce player housing that is customizable as well as PVP.

Between this, WoW and every other MMO that has come out, I would put this right below WoW. Blizzard owns the crown and the years of polish shine. What FF has done though is provide an actual contender that does not make me feel like I should just go back to Warcraft, but instead I look forward to maxing out in this game. (Something no other game has actually made me want to do since WoW). I am not playing with anyone on FF right now and actually don't mind. The world feels lively (I am on Exodus) and not at all barren like many other mmos get after the first 30 days are up.

If you are looking for something that is WoW-like, but not WoW and/or are/were a FF fan, I recommend picking up this game.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 recommendation

justin to SixOfNine

Mod

to SixOfNine
In australia there is an entertaining TV show called Good Game, although pitched at teens so not that edgy, it is solid. They reviewed the Beta recently:

»www.abc.net.au/tv/goodga ··· 0738.htm

video (worth watching): »www.abc.net.au/tv/goodga ··· &item=07

the conclusion is A for effort (compared to the last go around), B+ for results..

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Thanks guys! Is there a free trial or do I have to buy the game and pay the sub?
puppy

puppy to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Also one of the reviews I read says the game kind of force you to group. Is that true or can I just quest/solo my way to max level/end?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

3 edits

IamGimli (banned) to puppy

to puppy
Right now you'd be lucky to find a boxed version in store and they've stopped online sales due to the servers being at capacity. There is no free trial but you do get one month "free" when you buy the game, so you don't have to pay a subscription to play.
Every significant story line event requires running a group dungeon or single group battle. That's not necessary to get to max level but it is to unlock end game. Not much of a hurdle unless you want to be a DPS. Tank queues are instant, healer usually less than 30 minutes.

EDIT: Scratch that, they've started selling the game again so you should be able to find it pretty easily. It's only $30 for the base game (PC version) and a month of service too.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

The only time you have to group is when doing dungeons during the main quest line. You are not required to do this, but it is recommended. There is a dungeon finder and so far (even at lower levels) the dungeons have been just fine and unlike the elitist end-rush that is WoW dungeoning.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

It's only $30 for the base game (PC version) and a month of service too.

How much is the monthly subscription?

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

1 recommendation

stvnbrs

Premium Member

Click for full size
»www.ffxivinfo.com/service.php

I have the entry sub since I don't understand why anyone would have an alt in the game at the moment. I haven't noticed any downsides to it.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't find the sub prices.
demir
Premium Member
join:2010-07-15
usa

2 edits

demir to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
I'm playing this currently --- have been for 3-4 weeks.

I have a white mage at level 40. Game gets much more challenging (mob and dungeon wise) after 30. The maps need a little polish, but everything else has been very fun so far.

There were some scaling issues when it launched, but they seem resolved. And you don't need a physical copy --- you can download it --- although creation on certain realms is restricted.

Personally, when I play this --- I feel it really makes wow show it's age. I plan on hitting 50 and doing endgame / pvp --- then judge my interest at that point.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

What server are you on? I equate the game to a good mix of GW2 and WoW. I have enjoyed it much more, and so far the community has been much better as well.
demir
Premium Member
usa

demir

Premium Member

Zalera.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

On sale right now.

»store.na.square-enix.com ··· 64514800
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar

Just bought it.. it gives 30 days free play, after that you choose the payment method and plan, I'm gonna give it 6 months.

I'm loving it so far, takes me back to the old Final Fantasy games and they use similar music which I love..

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I do think the music was a nice touch. I'm a longtime FF fan as well, so some of the combat/victory music made me giggle.
djlar

djlar

Any add-on I could install? say DPS meters, spam filters, etc

(got tired real quick of gold selling spammers i got out of the general chat quick)

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I've shied away from add-ons in general in recent years. Back when I played WoW it seemed I had more troubles with hackers anytime I played around with add-ons, or I would just run into more game glitches. So I can't really offer much advice there.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to djlar

Premium Member

to djlar
There are no real addons for the game. Square Enix is pretty strict about the usage of third-party software (read: addons) and it is a violation of the EULA and TOS. They will ban your account if you are caught using such addons. They exist, but since they are against the EULA and TOS, I will not list them.
djlar

djlar

I guess for healers is the ol' click the tank and push the heal button mode..

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

I made it up to lvl 8 I think last month before Wildstar hit. Haven't played since but want to pick it back up soon.
djlar

djlar

I'm leveling an archer.. it seems week so far, but I tried conjurer a bit, but reverted back real quick.. hate the long cast spells and you can't move stuff.. Archer is better at this you can shoot and move and even tank a boss (first dungeon big boss) no problem.

About auto-attack on archers, it seems you keep clipping it with your other shots? aren't you? that's why I need meters, I don't see the character auto-shooting at all...

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

I don't know how they are now but Archers were pretty lackluster when I was playing. You would obviously go Bard in the end, which is fine because Bards are good. Songs are good. You have to have a Bard or two in raids for sure. But dungeons? They aren't needed and their DPS was subpar.

But it has been a pretty long time since I've played. So, I don't know if that is even remotely close to being the same case.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to djlar

Premium Member

to djlar
You can make mouseover macros.
demir
Premium Member
usa

demir

Premium Member

Well, I stopped playing this a while back (after I beat the story mode) but it was pretty fun.

Has their been any DLC or expansions since the end of last year? I have a max level white mage.