All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
greendayfan
join:2012-12-05
Sacramento, CA

greendayfan

[Connectivity] Comcast maintenance crew?

Hey guys,

We had Comcast internet about 5 years ago. There is an existing underground conduit where the coax from Comcast comes in and is connected to my inside wire at the junction box outside. Now I recently ordered internet from them again, and chose the self install. They apparently came out on Wed, did their part of the outside install and of course, it doesn't work. I connected my modem outside directly to the cable coming up from the conduit and I get no sync there.

I called them back and they sent out another guy who I never saw at any point, who determined they needed a maintenance crew out. They came today and marked my lawn where they are apparently planning to trench and run a new cable in.

I am not sure why they cant just fish out the existing cable if its bad and run the new one through the existing conduit. I don't know if they attempted to do this or not, but I doubt it as I haven't seen anyone from Comcast at any point near my house.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

If the conduit is there and useable, they will use it. It's pretty standard practice to mark all utilities should any work need to be done around it.
greendayfan
join:2012-12-05
Sacramento, CA

greendayfan

Thanks for the reply, I wish the communication was better on their part but oh well. Hopefully they realize the conduit is there, as I marked it for them.
greendayfan

greendayfan

The saga continues. The third party contractor came out today, and for various reasons, it made more sense to trench under the driveway and run a new conduit. That went well and they ran new cable into the conduit, and also across the street to the stub across the street. This is the same place where Comcast supposedly already did their outside install to mind you. Connected up my inside wire to the new cable from the street, and... you guessed it, its dead. I called in to have them check if they could see my modem, and they don't see a thing. I tried connecting directly to the cable from the street outside also and its no good there either.

This is basically telling me that the local comcast tech has not done his portion of the install properly most likely, because if he had verified that there is signal to the stub, and the third party contractor ran new cable to that point and assuming they connected it there, I should be good to go and Im not.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Usually underground construction doesnt hook the line up. They just run it. They usually dont even carry a ladder so that should have been a hint.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to greendayfan

Premium Member

to greendayfan
said by greendayfan:

The saga continues. The third party contractor came out today, and for various reasons, it made more sense to trench under the driveway and run a new conduit. That went well and they ran new cable into the conduit, and also across the street to the stub across the street. This is the same place where Comcast supposedly already did their outside install to mind you. Connected up my inside wire to the new cable from the street, and... you guessed it, its dead. I called in to have them check if they could see my modem, and they don't see a thing. I tried connecting directly to the cable from the street outside also and its no good there either.

This is basically telling me that the local comcast tech has not done his portion of the install properly most likely, because if he had verified that there is signal to the stub, and the third party contractor ran new cable to that point and assuming they connected it there, I should be good to go and Im not.

THat's only the first part. A Tech needs to come out (Who you saw is usually just a contractor to run the cable) and connect the line and verify signals. If you don't see someone soon, call in and ask about it.