spc
uniqs
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to WolfTears

to WolfTears

Re: [DSL] !!!HELP!!! 6 Public IP Package, 1 Modem, 2 Routers

With an IP subnet, I believe you should be doing this entirely with one PPPoE connection. i.e., You make one PPPoE connection, and all 9(?) IP addresses (a /29 subnet and the one /32 static IP) will be routed through that PPPoE connection. There is only one router involved.
WolfTears
join:2013-07-22
North York, ON

WolfTears

said by henry128:

With an IP subnet, I believe you should be doing this entirely with one PPPoE connection. i.e., You make one PPPoE connection, and all 9(?) IP addresses (a /29 subnet and the one /32 static IP) will be routed through that PPPoE connection. There is only one router involved.

ok, can you describe the layout of the network so i can replicate on my end :-D
WolfTears

WolfTears to henry128

to henry128
said by henry128:

There is only one router involved.

I don't think that will work for my multiple servers that require port forwarding :-P

I am going to have to mail servers running to different domains,

ie both server will be using the same ports and thus need different networks
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to WolfTears

to WolfTears
hmm...

One router, one PPPoE connection. All of your remaining computers attached to the "LAN" side of the router. The router needs routing tables configured to route rather than NAT.

The router's LAN interface gets assigned one of the addresses from the /29 subnet. Computers on the LAN are also assigned public IP addresses from the /29 block (Don't use the first and last address of the subnet). The default gateway of the LAN machines should be the address of the router, which should then route those out the PPPoE interface. Basically, you're using the public addresses for your LAN (rather than the usual 192.168.0.0/24), then routing instead of NAT+routing between LAN and WAN sides of the network.

As far as I know (and I'm not experienced with home routers), no stock router firmware will give you the ability to route without NAT...
WolfTears
North York, ON

WolfTears

very true, this being a residential plan from teksavvy, i have to assume that there is some way of doing without a corporate level hardware.
WolfTears

WolfTears to henry128

to henry128
I have a TP-LINK TL-WR941ND, under the settings page>Advanced Routing>Static Routing Tables

Would this be what im looking for?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to WolfTears

to WolfTears
Cheap PC, enough LAN cards to suit your needs and pfsense would probably be your most cost efficient solution.
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to WolfTears

to WolfTears
Well, an IP subnet certainly isn't a "residential" feature

You can certainly do this without "corporate level" hardware. I'm sure home routers with custom firmware are capable of doing this. Another alternative is to use a Linux PC as the router.
WolfTears
North York, ON

WolfTears

Fair enuff,

Now say i have a linux box running as my firewall/router

more specifically the one mentioned pfsense, how exactly would i configure it so that my 2 mail servers has access on two different ip's

Also the router that i have now has static routing capabilities, would that surfice?
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128

I'm not familiar with the TP-LINK router. Poking around the emulator sounds like it's not what you're looking for. It requires the "gateway" field to be filled in, which doesn't make much sense. It sounds like it's configuring the outgoing routes on the WAN side of things, but doesn't control the NAT/routing in between LAN and WAN, nor does it provide a way to turn off the NAT (»www.tp-link.us/resources ··· ndex.htm)
WolfTears
North York, ON

WolfTears

Also, im not sure if turning of NAT and having public IP's for the lan will affect this or not, but I have a DC running on the primary network right now...........
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to WolfTears

to WolfTears
I assume your "mail servers" are real computers (or at least VMs, each assigned its own public IP address). It's incredibly messy (and occasionally not even possible) to have multiple servers on the same machine that owns multiple addresses.

Basically, it's a LAN where you use public IP addresses for each machine. Since each mail server is on its own machine, and each machine has a public IP address and is accessible from outside, there's not much configuration beyond routing between the LAN and upstream.
henry128

henry128 to WolfTears

to WolfTears
You'll be renumbering your LAN, so I expect there will be some impact.