spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Hackivism

hackivism to protect the internet against government censorship of website... freedom of speech is under attack

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Two wrongs don't make a right. Malicious hackers should be tossed in jail.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

huh..... i wonder if this censorship crap will kill the whole internet... total of 13 main root dns servers in the world... wiki

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1

That's not quite true anymore. There are 13 addresses for root DNS servers, but 10 of those 13 servers are now distributed by anycast. There are over 350 physical root DNS servers now.

I'm not sure what that has to do with hacktivism though, unless your saying the root dns would be an easy target.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

I think he's saying the root DNS servers are a place to enforce sensorship: just don't resolve DNS requests for certain, unwanted domain names.

It wouldn't happen at the root servers though. They're all over the world and aren't all under one country's jurisdiction. It would be pretty difficult to get all those root DNS servers to block the same domains.

It would be easier to do it lower down in the DNS chain. The root servers just resolve the top-level domain (TLD), like .com, .ca, .net, etc. Any request for a domain ending in .com gets forwarded to the DNS servers responsible for .com, who then forwards the request to the domain registrar that the domain name was registered with, who then sends the request to the DNS server registered for that domain name.

It would be easier to censor at the, say, .com DNS servers, but then that won't do much since whoever is getting censored can just register a .ru domain name.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

Ya come back to this thread when Authoritarian governments and Corporations complete their plan of dominance over communications.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

said by DanteX:

Ya come back to this thread when Authoritarian governments and Corporations complete their plan of dominance over communications.

I don't have a time machine, I can't make a post in the past.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Guzpaz,
You just aren't trying hard enough.

DuPie

@distributel.net
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I don't have a time machine, I can't make a post in the past.

Just need to slingshot around the moon, I hear that works great.