spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

.: NVIDIA GTX 780/770 CLUB :.

.: Owners, fans, or just the curious! :.

I wanted to start a new thread that revolves completely around users who own 1(or more!) of these amazing cards and need or desire a single place in which to discuss any and all things 700 series GPU's. A place where owners can give or receive amazing information about their new babies from other owners who also share in that same passion of ownership.

So to begin, I am a newly indoctrinated member of the 700 series club. I have a single EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked that I've now owned for about 2 or so weeks. My time with it thus far has been nothing short of remarkable. I have the EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked version with the Titan cooler. It's a very, very sexy GPU and oozes a feeling of premium hardware. Sure, aesthetics are important but what I'm really truly after is what's under the hood. Performance is what drives me to keep pushing and pushing and to continue to keep learning.

So, needless to say, I'm quite the tinkerer. Right out the box and almost immediately after I installed it I went straight to work on overclocking it. I mostly do this with everything anyways. If it can be overclocked then I'm all over it at work looking to figure out the "puzzle" that is overclocking. Overclocking things to me is like a rubrics cube. You have to set things in motion by inputting the correct "colors" or in this case: settings. 1 layer at a time, slowly ramping up things in the correct order until eventually I've solved the puzzle. Or find a GPU's breaking point.

For my EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked that breaking point(= instability) comes right after hitting 1250Mhz on the core(Boost) and around 3575Mhz on the memory. I'm willing to bet the memory could be clocked higher but the memory bandwidth is already so high it's not terribly necessary to spend too much time on it right now. Finding the sweet spot for the core though is a different matter altogether. That's where the real interest with my 780 lies: maximizing performance by overclocking the core. Once I've gone too far and instability starts to set in then you slowly back off, test even more, until that stability returns again.

Currently I'm able to retain stability with 1241Mhz core and ~3575Mhz memory. Power target 115%, Temp target 106C, 1.212 voltage, Boost 2.0 disabled. As some of you may know, anything above 1.200v is disabled, Power target limited to 106%, and temp target to 94C. With this generation of GPU's, Nvidia heavily went on to restrict their products by basically tying together temperature and overclock potential. That sucks and is a shitty move by Nvidia. But regardless, there are always ways around a company and their efforts to hinder higher performance. So this generation, if you start to hit a certain temperature then automatically the GPU will lower core clocks. If you're an overclocker, thats a terrible thing to see.

I got around all this... by flashing my 780 with a custom built bios. Sucks this is how it has to be done to get the best performance... but it's the only way around Boost 2.0 and it's artificial limits.
TRU

1 recommendation

TRU

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I just got an GTX770 for a new build, I will post pictures once its in a case, right now its an open build.

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
I'll get busy and take some pics this week as well.
This machine...

Case-Cooler master HAF x
Asus P8P67 Evo B3 stepping
I7 2600K Sandy Bridge OC @ 4500 Mhz 24/7
Corsair HX 1000W
CPU Cooling- Noctura NH-D14
HD#1- Crucial SSD C300 Sata III 128 Mb
HD#2- WD Raptor 1000 RBM Sata III 600 Mb
HD#3 Crucial M4 SSD Sata III 256 Mb
GSkill Ripjaws X 16 Gb
EVGA SuperClocked GTX 780 ACX
LiteOn B/D W
LiteOn DVD W
creative SB Titanium pro
Win7 64 Bit
Monitor-Asus PB278Q
Bose Speakers

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

2 edits

Ghastlyone to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
With overclocking on my 780, I cannot get anything higher than +80mhz on the core. Memory clocks didn't seem to effect anything. Doesn't matter if voltage is maxed, power target maxed, temp target maxed, nothing works.

+80 on the core I believe boosts to 1170mhz. I tried +110 on the core. I've tried +100 on the core with a voltage (what little there is) adjusted and maxed +.38. This ended up with the card boosting to 1,230mhz and crashes everytime. No matter what.

Temp target doesn't even matter, since the card never gets warmer than 65-70c.

So, I don't know where these review sites are getting these crazy overclocks on the same identical card as mine, but I'm a little suspicious at this point. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I don't know.

Regarding flashing your card with a custom BIOS. Just remember, that completely voids your warranty. So if the card happens to take a crap, you're up shit creek.

I'll mess around with it more tonight maybe. Right now though, I'm happy with the +80mhz overclock which boosts to just under 1,200mhz. Since even stock out of the box, this card runs everything perfectly without even breaking a sweat, overclocking isn't very high on my priority list. Playing Skyrim with a bunch of mods installed the card is sitting there running at ~50C all the time. You can't even hear it.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

Regarding flashing your card with a custom BIOS. Just remember, that completely voids your warranty. So if the card happens to take a crap, you're up shit creek.

I was investigating this on one of my 670s before I figured out the problem wasn't with the card itself.

It didn't look easy to do at the time, so even if you don't brick it, you still lose your warranty. Scary shit when you're paying four or five bills for a card.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

I was investigating this on one of my 670s before I figured out the problem wasn't with the card itself.

It didn't look easy to do at the time, so even if you don't brick it, you still lose your warranty. Scary shit when you're paying four or five bills for a card.

Exactly. To me, an extra ~70-80mhz isn't worth the price of a nearly $700 video card.
Ghastlyone

1 edit

Ghastlyone to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
TruSmoke can you run a Firestrike benchmark with your current overclock? I want to see what type of score that overclock posts. Mine scored a 9181 with my slight OC. I'm curious to see what you can get out of it.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

a nearly $700 video card.

No kidding... speaking of which, when you said you were waiting for a solid upgrade you weren't kidding!

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

a nearly $700 video card.

No kidding... speaking of which, when you said you were waiting for a solid upgrade you weren't kidding!

I almost purchased a Classified 680 a couple months back. Then Nvidia came along and dropped the news on everyone that the 7 series was releasing in May. Which I don't think anyone expected. I figured I'd just hold out a little longer and pick up a 780.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

Then Nvidia came along and dropped the news on everyone that the 7 series was releasing in May. Which I don't think anyone expected. I figured I'd just hold out a little longer and pick up a 780.

Good call... did you have the 560ti 448 or the 560ti previously?

I had the 560ti, so I was itching for an upgrade when the 600 series came out.

EQ

TRU
Michigan

1 edit

TRU to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Click for full size
said by Ghastlyone:

TruSmoke can you run a Firestrike benchmark with your current overclock? I want to see what type of score that overclock posts. Mine scored a 9181 with my slight OC. I'm curious to see what you can get out of it.

Here you go! Just ran Fire Strike (No Demo, No Extreme) and the score was 9437.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by TRU:

said by Ghastlyone:

Here you go! Just ran Fire Strike (No Demo, No Extreme) and the score was 9437.

Awesome score, badass for a single 780. Handing Titan it's ass with that OC.

I do hope Nvidia releases some quality drivers soon. It seems like every single driver I've installed so far, has been pure shit.

The brand new 326.29 beta drivers give me a black screen on install. 320.49 driver, I've gotten multiple game crashes and freezes in different games.

Their driver team is out to lunch.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

Then Nvidia came along and dropped the news on everyone that the 7 series was releasing in May. Which I don't think anyone expected. I figured I'd just hold out a little longer and pick up a 780.

Good call... did you have the 560ti 448 or the 560ti previously?

I had the 560ti, so I was itching for an upgrade when the 600 series came out.

EQ

448 Core. It was basically a GTX 570 on a GTX 480 PCB.

It was a great card, but wasn't even a comparison in performance to this 780.
evo7
join:2009-01-03
Audubon, NJ

evo7 to TRU

to TRU
I should be getting my 770 this week or next, I wish post pictures of my rig before and after it is installed, I believe I will need some recomdations on where to hide my extra P/S cables seeing as I don't have a modular P/S

TRU
Michigan

TRU

@evo7 - What case are you using? Most cases that I know will have extra space or compartments that provide space to hide power supply cables so you can have a nice clean looking internal PC build.

Of course, I can't guarantee that ALL cases out there are like this. But I know that most do. Let me know what case you have and I'll have a better idea on what you'd be dealing with.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to evo7

Premium Member

to evo7
said by evo7:

I should be getting my 770 this week or next, I wish post pictures of my rig before and after it is installed, I believe I will need some recomdations on where to hide my extra P/S cables seeing as I don't have a modular P/S

If I can tuck all the wires away in a factory HP desktop, with a non modular PSU, and make it look very clean and neat, I'm sure it can be pulled off on just about anything out there.
evo7
Audubon, NJ

evo7 to TRU

to TRU
The case I have is a Cooler Master HAF 912

TRU
Michigan

TRU

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by evo7:

The case I have is a Cooler Master HAF 912

Oh, you should be good to go with cable management within that case. That case has the space to keep things clean.

I found some pictures online of other builders with that same case managing their PSU's cords and what not. These pics should help you to get a rough idea of how to tackle your cable management within the Cooler Master HAF 912. That's a really nice case all around so you shouldn't have any problems.

I hope I was able to answer your question and concerns.
evo7
Audubon, NJ

evo7

I have mine similiarly cabled like that but since I don't have a modular P/S I kind of just have the unused cabled sitting at the bottom of the case, maybe I should take the unused cables and pull them through the side?

TRU
Michigan

TRU

said by evo7:

I have mine similiarly cabled like that but since I don't have a modular P/S I kind of just have the unused cabled sitting at the bottom of the case, maybe I should take the unused cables and pull them through the side?

I forgot that you had specified that you had a non-modular power supply. I'd give your suggestion a try to see if that cleans things up alittle bit better.
evo7
Audubon, NJ

evo7

Got my GTX 770 in the machine, the only problem I am having, which I am still having from mt GTX 580 is that when playing Crysis 1 the game at points drops 30 FPS for what seems like no reason and sometimes even locks up. I have the steam version.

TRU
Michigan

TRU

said by evo7:

Got my GTX 770 in the machine, the only problem I am having, which I am still having from mt GTX 580 is that when playing Crysis 1 the game at points drops 30 FPS for what seems like no reason and sometimes even locks up. I have the steam version.

My best guess would be that either the game itself lacked proper coding at that point in the game and the drop in FPS is strictly the game not any particular card.

OR

Maybe there is something up with the Nvidia drivers that they never went back and corrected for Crysis 1.
evo7
Audubon, NJ

evo7

Oh it's absolutely the game, Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2 do not do this nor does any other game. But i am not sure if it is isolated to my game or just the Crysis 1 game in particular.

BTW, I ended up getting the EVGA GTX 770 SuperClocked ACX, this card runs VERY cool. I'm talking 50C under load in Crysis 2 and Metro 2033 cool.

TRU
Michigan

TRU

said by evo7:

Oh it's absolutely the game, Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2 do not do this nor does any other game. But i am not sure if it is isolated to my game or just the Crysis 1 game in particular.

BTW, I ended up getting the EVGA GTX 770 SuperClocked ACX, this card runs VERY cool. I'm talking 50C under load in Crysis 2 and Metro 2033 cool.

Yeah, I was thinking the game was at fault as well. Especially weird when you consider 2 different cards react so similar at the same exact spot in the game. So its either nvidia drivers or actual game code that was never ironed out.

Good choice on the EVGA GTX 770 SuperClocked ACX. That's a fantastic card and you should be extremely happy with the performance you get out of it.

What resolution do you game at currently? And have you tried overclocking it(if you're into that)?
evo7
Audubon, NJ

evo7

I haven't tried overclocking it yet, I play at 1920x1080 and really, I don't believe I really need to OC it. I get 60FPS on completely maxed out settings in all of the games I play. So for now I don't see the need.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
So I am not an owner of a 780 (currently have a 580), but I do have a question for all of you that do. Not to sound like a troll either it is just a question.. What made you decide to pay that much for the 780? Did you happen to just make a new build or were you just upgrading your current cards? The only reason I ask is I have a 580 and rarely see games that push that card to the limit so I cant imagine (at least yet) to have a need to upgrade... Personally I will probably get a 780 at some point, or heck even a generation above it, but alas I need to wait for the games to come out and make use of it..

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Ryan:

So I am not an owner of a 780 (currently have a 580), but I do have a question for all of you that do. Not to sound like a troll either it is just a question.. What made you decide to pay that much for the 780? Did you happen to just make a new build or were you just upgrading your current cards? The only reason I ask is I have a 580 and rarely see games that push that card to the limit so I cant imagine (at least yet) to have a need to upgrade... Personally I will probably get a 780 at some point, or heck even a generation above it, but alas I need to wait for the games to come out and make use of it..

There was a few reasons for me.

I wanted to upgrade to a higher resolution, 2560x1440. Been wanting to do this for a long time. So I wanted a GPU that had the horsepower to push that many pixels smoothly, at max settings.

I bought my 448 Core 560ti at the very end of the 5 series life cycle. So I was coming due to upgrade anyway. I still ended up getting 1 1/2 years out of that card. I figured my new 780 will last me 2-3 years, if I figure on 3 years, then this card will end up costing me ~18 dollars per month for that whole time. And that's not even counting selling my old card to recoup some costs.

I figured this time, I'd just get a top end card and be done with it.

Seriously, I can't recommend this card to someone that's only running a single 1080p monitor. It'd be a waste of money for them. There are far cheaper cards that can run the majority of games out there at max settings at 1080p.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Ryan:

There was a few reasons for me.

I wanted to upgrade to a higher resolution, 2560x1440. Been wanting to do this for a long time. So I wanted a GPU that had the horsepower to push that many pixels smoothly, at max settings.

I bought my 448 Core 560ti at the very end of the 5 series life cycle. So I was coming due to upgrade anyway. I still ended up getting 1 1/2 years out of that card. I figured my new 780 will last me 2-3 years, if I figure on 3 years, then this card will end up costing me ~18 dollars per month for that whole time. And that's not even counting selling my old card to recoup some costs.

I figured this time, I'd just get a top end card and be done with it.

Seriously, I can't recommend this card to someone that's only running a single 1080p monitor. It'd be a waste of money for them. There are far cheaper cards that can run the majority of games out there at max settings at 1080p.

Makes sense, I didn't even consider all the people running on higher resolutions. Hopefully we will start seeing some more jumps in the graphics/details in games this year especially since developers will have more breathing room with the next crop of consoles.
evo7
Audubon, NJ

evo7

I've been playing Metro 2033 and for some reason I am seeing lower and what most benchmarking sites see on the benchmark and in game. With the GTX 770 with @ 1080p Very High settings these sites are saying they are averaging 60fps?!?!?! my average in those benchmarks was 39-42 FPS.

Rig.

AMD FX 8320
16GB 1600mhz dual channel Corsair Vengeance
500GB HDD
EVGA Super Clocked GTX 770 with ACX
MSI 970A G46 mobo

Not sure how they are seeing that high of FPS...