Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to handlebar

Re: copper with u-verse?

Generally the sales people don't have a clue what they're talking about. They seem to like to throw around the word "fiber" a lot when trying to sign people up. The truth is that unlike FIOS, U-verse is typically fiber to your neighborhood then VDSL over copper to your house. They may use the existing copper line or run a new one if the existing line is in poor condition.

That said, it is possible you're in one of the areas with FTTP deployed. If that's the case then you'll have a fiber line ran to your NID which will be replaced by an iNID.

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
I have seen fttp only in brand new housing. Since they have or had pots I find it extremely unlikely the neighborhood has had it's copper replaced.

But yes, salesmen are generally clueless.

As for lightning, even an indirect strike will take out the equipment, whether it is at&t's or the customer's. Bonding and grounding only helps so much.

Edit: Fixed a word swap.
--
Change the scheme, alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
said by Mr Fel:

I have seen fttp only in new brand housing.

I live in a brand new section of a neighborhood that is about 7 years old. Anyone in the older sections is fed off of an older VRAD and most require iNIDs with pair bonding because most of the houses are beyond 3000 feet. Our section had a brand new VRAD installed and our houses are all 2000 feet or less to the box. It is still all copper in the ground here. So, I'm not sure what criteria AT&T uses for laying fiber in neighborhoods, regardless of how new they are.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by rolande:

... I'm not sure what criteria AT&T uses for laying fiber in neighborhoods, regardless of how new they are.

Typically deployed in "greenfield" residential construction; meaning the fiber goes in with the other utilities when the houses go up.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to doubleohwhat
said by doubleohwhat:

That said, it is possible you're in one of the areas with FTTP deployed. If that's the case then you'll have a fiber line ran to your NID which will be replaced by an iNID.

Actually, FTTP would use an ONT. I believe the iNID is used with bonded pair copper.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Correct. Bonded pair is with iNIDs and just recently deployed 589's (using 589's with single pair is a whole other issue for now).
--
Change the scheme, alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to NormanS
Yep. You're right. Dunno what I was thinking. Apparently I had pair bonding on the brain.