dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
CDD
join:2008-08-11

CDD

Re: MiFi Antenna Setup?

Ok, so I used a cookie sheet for the base, put it near a window and absolutely no change in signal. Whether I use the antenna or not, I get the following almost always:

RSSI: 44%
-107dBm
2 bars

A month ago I had 3-4 bars all the time but it's always 2 now which is why I thought I'd try out an antenna. Just find it strange that the antenna doesn't help out even a little. I would think I'd see some change, even minor.
dmc271
join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

dmc271

CDD: What is your terrain like? I'd recommend taking your setup--including the cookie sheet groundplane--onto your roof and testing the signal again. You can always mount the antenna up there if needed (with better cabling for the long run).

Also, for a fixed location, it's almost always better to use a directional antenna rather than an omnidirectional antenna.

I get about the same signal level as you indoors: RSSI in the -100 range. With two homemade Yagis in a MIMO setup on my roof, aimed at my nearest tower, my RSSI goes to -60. Of course, everyone's situation is different--it all depends on the terrain and the existing signal levels/paths--but height and directionality can usually make a significant difference.