dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Syndicate
join:2013-05-27

Syndicate

TekSavvy & Start: Do you need THEIR modem?

My friend is trying to get DSL now, either from Start or TekSavvy.

They are mentioning some new rule enforced by Bell about having to purchase a modem from them and that you can't use your own.

Is this true or just BS?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

It is currently true for the faster DSL packages.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Syndicate

to Syndicate
It's true for the three speed tiers at are VDSL: 15/10, 25/10 & 50/10.

All the other speed tiers, 6/800, 7/1, 10/1 and 15/1 don't require you to buy or rent the modem from the ISP. So your friend can buy his own on those speed tiers.
Syndicate
join:2013-05-27

Syndicate

What a damn joke.
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur

Bell limits VDSL modems to the ones provided by them. Not sure if there is a technical reason or if it is a cash grab.

I assume a cash grab.

Not TekSavvy / Starts fault on this one.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by balur:

Bell limits VDSL modems to the ones provided by them. Not sure if there is a technical reason or if it is a cash grab.

I assume a cash grab.

Not TekSavvy / Starts fault on this one.

Depends on geography. In many areas the equipment is place uses a flavour of VDSL that isn't really standards compliant. Therefore, you must use their modem or else it just will not work. In other areas, any VDSL modem can be used, but I think the Bell modem is forced on you anyways.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Syndicate

to Syndicate
you are forced to get a Sagemcom right now, however TSI forces you to buy it (which is terrible IMO) while you're able to rent it with Start. it seems Start is also working on getting another modem approved that isn't a Sagemcom, but my guess is you'll still be forced to get one of the approved modems until things change with Bell and VDSL2.
DFW6
join:2013-03-23
North York, ON

DFW6

The issue I'd like to see resolved is that, once I buy a vdsl modem and own it outright, as I do, it seems that if I switch providers, I need to buy another of the same modem. I can understand the requirement to buy a particular modem to avail oneself of vdsl but I have a bit of trouble understanding why I would need to buy another identical one down the road.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to Syndicate

Premium Member

to Syndicate
I agree it sucks. It's being worked on though
DFW6
North York, ON

DFW6

Great but take your time. I have 8 months
DasBubbicus
join:2013-07-21
Brockville, ON

DasBubbicus to Syndicate

to Syndicate
My favourite Bell gimmick happened a few months ago when I upgraded/downgraded to an unlimited 5Mbps DSL package. They had me pay a one-time $50 fee in return for ending the $5/month modem rental fee...

"Oh, so I'll own the modem?"
"No."

I doubt this 2Wire garbage is worth $25, but whatever.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

I agree it sucks. It's being worked on though

No offense Andre, but it's been worked on forever, while we keep paying $8/month rental for obsolete and/or buggy modems.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

September

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to DasBubbicus

Premium Member

to DasBubbicus
said by DasBubbicus:

I doubt this 2Wire garbage is worth $25, but whatever.

2wire's are great. Getting quite old now, so $50 is a little steep, but certainly a good buy at $25.
DFW6
North York, ON

DFW6 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
To be fair to TSI, at least they are working on it. AFAIK, this is an issue with all Bell 3rd parties. Thankfully, when I left Bell, I could buy one of those "obsolete and/or buggy modems" outright. I now own it and it will make a fine paperweight should I switch isp.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by DFW6:

To be fair to TSI, at least they are working on it. AFAIK, this is an issue with all Bell 3rd parties. Thankfully, when I left Bell, I could buy one of those "obsolete and/or buggy modems" outright. I now own it and it will make a fine paperweight should I switch isp.

i'm not sure they're working on anything other than waiting for Bell to implement something or change their ordering process to allow modems.

what i don't understand is why they're forcing modem purchases when they know it's currently a broken and inferior modem with no guarantee that an actual firmware will ever come out from Bell that will fix it.