Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to rolande

Re: copper with u-verse?

Yes, the issue was that we were getting it through coax and copper wiring that was old. It was bad enough that I would be talking with someone and there would be static that would get louder and louder until you couldn't hear anyone. After numerous tech visits, it was determined that the wiring was at fault and that it would have to be ripped out.

Seeing as we lived in a townhome, we'd have to ask the neighbors on either side to agree to let their walls be ripped open to take out the old wiring and replace it with fiber.

As for the cost, again, I cannot justify paying that when the only people I ever talk to long distance maybe 2-3 times a month are my sister and father in law.
--
Luffy, Zoro and Usopp: Chopper's a doctor?!?!
Nami: Why did you think we made Chopper join our crew?
Luffy: Seven Level transformation... Cool Reindeer...
Sanji: Emergency food supply...

handlebar

join:2011-02-25
Grover, NC
I've been using an independent VOIP with cable internet. When my neighbor lost POTS but still had DSL, I plugged in my ATA over there and it worked fine.

I've read that only 5% of u-verse customers get FTTP (fiber to the premises). The rest get FTTN (fiber to the node) or ADSL2+. I've read that the latency for FTTN is likely to be 25-95ms. I wonder if that could jam up some VOIP systems.

I'll probably be getting ADSL2+, the same thing I got as a DSL subscriber, marketed under a new brand.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to mareastrum
That was an inside wiring problem and had nothing to do with Uverse. Also, they would not run fiber in your house. At best, in fairly rare cases, they would run fiber to the outside of your house and install an ONT. From there they would attach it to your same crappy copper inside wiring to deliver service. They won't fix bad inside wiring, unless you are willing to spend the money to do it. But, you would be better off to get an independent contractor to do it right at a fair cost.

As far as your phone usage profile, it doesn't seem that you fall in the target customer profile for the Uverse voice service. They are offering a baseline service that is way more than you want or need.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
I know what I was told by the tech, who told the same thing to my husband. If he was wrong, oh well. *shrug* I was just making mention that U-voice doesn't like copper wiring based on my personal experience.

As for the phone, yes we cancelled because we could not justify paying $50/mo for a dial tone.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
said by mareastrum:

I was just making mention that U-voice doesn't like copper wiring based on my personal experience.

U-voice can ONLY run on copper wiring. That is what the RJ-14 Voice jack is on the back of the gateway. If U-voice "doesn't like copper wiring", they would have no customers.

The key is that U-voice did not work well on "your" copper inside wiring.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to handlebar
said by handlebar:

I'll probably be getting ADSL2+, the same thing I got as a DSL subscriber, marketed under a new brand.

AT&T Southeast (legacy Bellsouth), unlike legacy SBC (13 states outside of Southeast), deployed a fair amount of ADSL2+/ATM/PPPoE. U-verse from a CO will likely be ADSL2+/PTM/802.1x.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to mareastrum
Yet again another lie,they aint replacing your inside wires with fiber

handlebar

join:2011-02-25
Grover, NC
reply to NormanS
Thanks. After I wrote "the same thing," I realized I wouldn't need a new modem if that were true.

I don't mind DSL technology, but I would have hesitated if I'd known my service would be over AT&T copper. I've had trouble ever since they took over Bellsouth. I was on dialup, and suddenly my modem began kicking down as low as 28.8 after a few minutes on line. It happened consistently. It had never happened in 10 years with Bellsouth. My modem and home wiring were fine. AT&T was pushing DSL and I had no choice. After years at 768k as advertised, I was jumped to 6M. I figured it was marketing; when they cut me back to 768, I'd be so impatient that I'd pay for a higher tier. When they cut me back, they cut me to 680k. It was consistent, not as if there was a bad line. I figured they were harassing me so I'd pay for a higher tier and they could again give me less than agreed.

One morning, POTS was very noisy and DSL was intermittent. I reported it, and the robot said it would be fixed within 24 hours. An hour later, I called to say I'd lost service. The robot scolded me for calling back and now said it would take a week. When the repairman finally came, he said my line had broken in two places along the decrepit trunk line.

I quit AT&T. The representative scolded me, telling me I had nothing to complain about because they weren't going to bill me for the week I was without phone or internet.