All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

faster Uverse speeds (Project VIP) coming soon?

I read back in March that Uverse speeds were getting a bump. Any updates on when consumers will be able to buy these faster speeds?
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

The manager for my sub-area of the Grand Rapids, MI market let it slip by accident recently that they are anticipating offering them starting in August around here.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to morbo

to morbo
said by morbo:

I read back in March that Uverse speeds were getting a bump. Any updates on when consumers will be able to buy these faster speeds?

No official word -- but knowing Broadband Reports -- There will be a post about it on the front page once AT&T does break the news.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to Paralel

to Paralel
said by Paralel:

The manager for my sub-area of the Grand Rapids, MI market let it slip by accident recently that they are anticipating offering them starting in August around here.

August 1?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX

rolande to Paralel

MVM,

to Paralel
Interesting. I have been hearing the July timeframe from several different local techs, as well as here in the forum, for the DFW market as an early rollout and it still has not hit here yet.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
I think they're doing work on our VRAD. I thought that the new firmware may have had increased my line rate, but it may just be that they upgraded the VRAD at the same time of the firmware(Since others said they didn't see any difference). Also, I have been seeing a lot of AT&T trucks the past few days and my noise margin/max rate went up again.

My max rate went up about 4-5 Mbps within a month.

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
Google Wifi
Obihai OBi200

gerick to Matt7

to Matt7
said by Matt7:

said by morbo:

No official word -- but knowing Broadband Reports -- There will be a post about it on the front page once AT&T does break the news.

Yep. »AT&T: 45 Mbps U-Verse Coming in 'Next Few Months' [115] comments

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Matt7

Premium Member

to Matt7
said by Matt7:

Yes, and that News post will have the obligatory commentary that AT&T sucks, how this upgrade is inferior, etc.  LOL, w/e.

fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

fakarooz

Anon

New speeds are being rolled out this quarter in several Uverse markets across the country with almost all of the Uverse footprint being upgraded to be able to handle the higher speeds by year end. In 2013, we have been working really hard expanding Uverse via project VIP. We have built out 500,000 additional FTTN premises to our footprint as well as 1.3 million additional ADSL2+ capable premises. Just under 250,000 business customers were upgraded to FTTP. This is only the start of our upgrades and we are only 21% complete in our expansion of Uverse FTTN/ADSL2+ plans, this is stated to be complete by year end 2015. Uverse FTTN areas that will be able to support new speeds will require pair boding via the new NVG589 gateway. Upgraded markets will have new speed offerings as well:
3/1 Mbps $41
12/1.5 Mbps $51
18/1.5 Mbps $56
30/3 Mbps $66
45/6 Mbps $86

Pricing is subject to change and quoted pricing is retail pricing. Promotions may be available depending on market.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

What are the upload speeds going to be like on the new ADSL2+ tiers?

/M

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to fakarooz

Premium Member

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

30/3 Mbps $66

No 30/6

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to fakarooz

Premium Member

to fakarooz
I wonder if that the gateway is upgraded, and you currently don't pay the rental (grandfathered in) if that will activate the rental charge...

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to fakarooz

Premium Member

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

New speeds are being rolled out this quarter in several Uverse markets across the country with almost all of the Uverse footprint being upgraded to be able to handle the higher speeds by year end.

End of 2013?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to netboy34

Premium Member

to netboy34
said by netboy34:

I wonder if that the gateway is upgraded, and you currently don't pay the rental (grandfathered in) if that will activate the rental charge...

Probably depends on what modem you have.

Moto NVG589 is rented. Still waiting to see the Pace/2Wire 5168 and find out if it is to be a rented/owned model

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by netboy34:

I meant more what modem you'd be upgraded to

I know the NVG589, as well as the current iNID, are both models that would incur the rental fee. The Pace/2Wire might be a customer owned model or a rented model -- not sure on that just yet

Any time a "change" order is written for an account it wipes out the grandfathered freebies -- so upgrading & requiring a new pair bonded modem would almost certainly incur the modem rental fee (if using a rental modem)
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel to netboy34

to netboy34
said by netboy34:

I owned my gateway, and when I was swapped to a new one, I was charged the rental fee (and they took my gateway!)

But, it's cool. They screwed up and left the old gateway with me when they swapped in the new one this time, so I consider it "mine" now.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to netboy34

Premium Member

to netboy34
3800 has a $2/Mo charge on grandfathered accounts, I have the 3800 grandfathered too.
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel to fakarooz

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

New speeds are being rolled out this quarter in several Uverse markets across the country with almost all of the Uverse footprint being upgraded to be able to handle the higher speeds by year end. In 2013, we have been working really hard expanding Uverse via project VIP. We have built out 500,000 additional FTTN premises to our footprint as well as 1.3 million additional ADSL2+ capable premises. Just under 250,000 business customers were upgraded to FTTP. This is only the start of our upgrades and we are only 21% complete in our expansion of Uverse FTTN/ADSL2+ plans, this is stated to be complete by year end 2015. Uverse FTTN areas that will be able to support new speeds will require pair boding via the new NVG589 gateway. Upgraded markets will have new speed offerings as well:
3/1 Mbps $41
12/1.5 Mbps $51
18/1.5 Mbps $56
30/3 Mbps $66
45/6 Mbps $86

So, we'll know the higher profiles and pairbonding is live in our area once these new speeds become available?

The minimum speed needed to get the pair bonding will be the 30/3? (Can't imagine they can run 30/3 on a 32/5 profile, and even at a max sync rate of 50,000 @ 15 db s/n ratio on a single line, there is no way a 45 meg profile would be reliable)

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Paralel:

The minimum speed needed to get the pair bonding will be the 30/3? (Can't imagine they can run 30/3 on a 32/5 profile, and even at a max sync rate of 50,000 @ 15 db s/n ratio on a single line, there is no way a 45 meg profile would be reliable)

No, but I have done a few installs, typically on K-cards, where the max sync rate is 70+ Mbps down, 10+ Mbps up -- that would work fine single pair for 45/6
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

said by ILpt4U:

said by Paralel:

No, but I have done a few installs, typically on K-cards, where the max sync rate is 70+ Mbps down, 10+ Mbps up -- that would work fine single pair for 45/6

Well, for a case where they are 50000 max sync rate @ 15 db s/n ratio on a single pair, with an NVG589, if one wanted 30/3, a pair bonding would be necessary, yes?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Paralel:

Well, for a case where they are 50000 max sync rate @ 15 db s/n ratio on a single pair, with an NVG589, if one wanted 30/3, a pair bonding would be necessary, yes?

I'm not sure the processes for the new tiers are even written yet, and even if they are, they are probably not set in stone.

One possibility might be requiring pair bonded. Another might be to change your port off of an older F card to a newer K card. Heck AT&T might even go back to the VRADs during maintenance windows and simply yank out all the F cards and replace with K (or even newer) cards

If I knew at this point, I don't think I'd be allowed to say for sure. And honestly, I really have no clue what the policies will be regarding the faster packages, and I don't even know if those listed tiers are even the real tiers, let alone pricing.

wreckem
@suddenlink.net

wreckem to fakarooz

Anon

to fakarooz
Any ideas if Arlington, TX will be seeing this upgrade in the next couple months?
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

said by Paralel:

I'm not sure the processes for the new tiers are even written yet, and even if they are, they are probably not set in stone.

One possibility might be requiring pair bonded. Another might be to change your port off of an older F card to a newer K card. Heck AT&T might even go back to the VRADs during maintenance windows and simply yank out all the F cards and replace with K (or even newer) cards

If I knew at this point, I don't think I'd be allowed to say for sure. And honestly, I really have no clue what the policies will be regarding the faster packages, and I don't even know if those listed tiers are even the real tiers, let alone pricing.

Cool. Your insight, nonetheless, is appreciated.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

Would not surprise me if they did card swaps - I no longer have Uverse but when I did I think I was on an F Card (this was months and months ago) my max rate was 64000 constantly. [the VRAD is around the corner from me next to the other apartment building)

I had a 3801 RG last time I had UV... I'd back to UV in a heartbeat if they offer a tier with higher than 3mb upstream (I am currently limited to 20/2 with TWC (former Insight Columbus customer so they don't offer 30/5, 50/5 here yet) but TWC is way cheaper than AT&T which is why I ditched UV.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to fakarooz

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

Just under 250,000 business customers were upgraded to FTTP

Do you know if there is a specific reasons for that upgrade?

Also, do you know if new U-verse business plans will be released alongside the new residential plans?

my thoughts to netboy34

Anon

to netboy34
To get the upgraded speed tiers will require new package, new pricing tier, not a grandfather plan.
Of course you do not have to upgrade stay on your grandfathered plan with your purchased RG.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to morbo

to morbo
Uploads look to still be a joke.

Providers need to offer service with the upload at half of the download.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by TheTechGuru:

True. However, they aren't exactly alone in that department. Charters top tier is 100/5 and that's the business plan.
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

said by doubleohwhat:

said by TheTechGuru:

True. However, they aren't exactly alone in that department. Charters top tier is 100/5 and that's the business plan.

What a joke of a business plan.