Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

At What Point Is Enough, Enough?

With Rogers constantly hitting consumers with price hike after price hike and fee after fee for every imaginable iota of service, at what point do you draw the line and say "Rogers just isn't worth the high cost anymore. Rogers is ripping me off and I've had enough. I want reasonable Internet etc. at a reasonable price"

Let's take a survey and see what you think. At what point would the various price hikes/fees force you to leave Rogers?

newtekuser

@teksavvy.com
You want cheaper prices the get ready for outsourcing. Or 9-5 5 days a week support. You cant have all that with cheap prices.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
I disagree. You can have 24/7 support and home soil support, but Rogers profits will decline. They want to monetarize any and everything, and not at what it really costs to provide with a reasonable profit margin, but rather as much as theyfeel they can gouge out of the consumer without them bailing ship, throwing the occasional carrot when they think the public may be losing interest, but oh grief no, not by reducing prices.

Then the latest game is to do what the Americans are doing... raise the price with below the line fees, while keeping the price constant.

NewTekuser1

@teksavvy.com
said by sbrook:

I disagree. You can have 24/7 support and home soil support, but Rogers profits will decline. They want to monetarize any and everything, and not at what it really costs to provide with a reasonable profit margin, but rather as much as theyfeel they can gouge out of the consumer without them bailing ship, throwing the occasional carrot when they think the public may be losing interest, but oh grief no, not by reducing prices.

Then the latest game is to do what the Americans are doing... raise the price with below the line fees, while keeping the price constant.

This used to be before with Bell/Rogers but you were still not happy. What was the result? Outsourced. Bell/Rogers understood that many people can't be satisfied and will be against Bell/Rogers no matter what. Best is concentrate on bottom line and not customers.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
They can only concentrate on ARPU because of the lack of competition that actually hurts them. Outsourcing is the scourge of the services industry. If you cant do a part of your core business yourself, then quality suffers and that costs them.

It is all about maximizing shareholder dividends, consideringnhow leveraged modern companies are, so it becomes ARPU as the driving force.

mannyfresh

join:2005-07-29
sbrook - "maximizing shareholder dividends" & profits is the role of ANY publicly traded company...

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Not quite, and that is a problem of the modern age. Companies are so focused on the short term goal, they have forgotten that if they screw up enough and put up prices too far and piss off enough customers, they will lose the ability to make profits!

Even governments are only beginning to realize that economic growth stalls every time lately that they have pushed up interest rates.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elitefx
When people say enough is enough. I personally hit that point two years ago with their phone. When it became as expensive as Bell. Tossed them, switched to VOIP, never looked back.

Did the same just recently with cable. Got fed up with paying almost 60-70 per month in CABLE BOX rentals. Then getting channels I don't want forced down my throat. Switched OTA, with Tivo. Works like a charm.

About to do the same with internet. ---This is the hardest part, since there is really only two lines to a persons home. Cable or Telephone. You can pick a 3rd party supplier, but, you can't really do much damage that way to the incumbent.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx
I also think until society around the world says enough, the 5% will continue this. I am not against a company making a profit, I am against a company making obscene amounts.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Not quite, and that is a problem of the modern age. Companies are so focused on the short term goal, they have forgotten that if they screw up enough and put up prices too far and piss off enough customers, they will lose the ability to make profits!

Not when you're operating in a guaranteed duopoly, where all the main carriers pretty much have the same prices, except a promotion or two here and there.
--

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

sbrook - "maximizing shareholder dividends" & profits is the role of ANY publicly traded company...

Of course.

Are you saying that Rogers profits have been maximized? Says who? And as sbrook See Profile pointed out, over what term? If Rogers had placed customer service at a higher level, perhaps higher profits would have followed.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to elitefx
This is why I left Rogers and moved to Wind last year, I couldn't take it any longer and I have never looked back. Excellent coverage by Wind and the price is never a penny more than what they told me every month... $29.99/month EVERYTHING UNLIMITED.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elitefx
I'm at that point now called rogers today and canceled my Internet will go with strat I'll get 35/10 for less then I was paying rogers for 25/2. Canceled cable like year and a half ago. Been on voip.ms for a good near two years now. 83 a month for forking 25/2 and it will go up with the new $3 price hike. Enoth is enough.