how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdsteele

join:2005-02-13
Campbellsburg, KY

[Pricing] 4G LTE Billing for usage seems high

We have both Verizon 4G LTE through a Cradlepoint router and 3G Sprint through a variety of routers. We are noticing an unusual usage amount being charged for the 4G service. We have to leave the 4G service off for 2 weeks out of 4 and are consistently billed for better than 5GB of usage. Our 3G service runs for the entire month billing cycle and never accumulates any overage. Has anyone else noticed high usage billing on their 4G service?

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

I recommend you get the free version of Bandwidth Meter, which is available at »www.rokario.com/ . I used it throughout my brief period with Millenicom, before the 50 gig cap got too confining for me and I graduated to Wireless 'n' WiFi, which is unlimited. (Why don't we have a forum for Wireless 'n' WiFi???) It's simple, it's fast, it's always available, and it will not only help you control your usage but can also be used as a check in case you think you're being ripped off.

rdsteele

Campbellsburg, KY

Our location is mostly Macs and UNIX machines with a few windows laptops. Installing a bandwidth meter on each workstation would not answer the question of "why is the same usage on our 4G connection measured so differently from our 3G connection" causing us to turn off the 4G after only 2 weeks?

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

I don't understand what you're saying. How can your 3G usage EVER be the same as your 4G usage? Over time, if you are really using both connections with the "same" intensity (perhaps you mean the "same" number of hours of use?), you will be downloading more material from your 4G connection than your 3G connection, simply because 4G is so much faster than 3G.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that by "same usage," you mean that you're downloading the same web files on both connections and you simply sit there, twiddling your thumbs and toes, waiting for your 3G connection to finish downloading the files that your faster 4G connection already downloaded; that wouldn't make any sense. But if that is NOT what you mean, and I'm sure it isn't, then it is impossible to make the claim that your usage on the 3G connection is somehow the "same" as your usage on the 4G connection.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
reply to rdsteele

Your 3g on sprint is unlimited, how do you get overages on an unlimited plan?

rdsteele

Campbellsburg, KY

We do not have an unlimited Sprint data plan.

rdsteele

Campbellsburg, KY
reply to criggs

I think you are missing the point. My reported problem is that Verizon metering of usage on the 4G side is drastically incorrect. Forget the 3G and 4G service throughputs. My observation is that Verizon's metering of usage is not correct and have others noticed it?

nacraman

join:2009-05-13
Highland, MI

I just recently changed from Hughesnet to Homefusion. I am seeing high data rates, like 1 gig an hour in some cases. With Hughesnet, you are restricted to a 350 meg per day limit, and I very rarely hit that. Now all of a sudden, I am hitting 1 gig an hour with the exact same connections on my network. No changes except for the new Homefusion router/modem.

rdsteele

Campbellsburg, KY
reply to rdsteele

Nacraman, I have several customers that have switched from other broadband services that are complaining of the same problem. Their usage of the system in their small home based business is the same but their reported GB usage is at least double their usage on their older connection systems. It strikes me as quite odd that no one else has noticed this billing discrepancy. Also, I am getting complaints from iPhone users about having to turn everything off to not exceed their 2GB allowance within the first 1 to 2 weeks. The usage reporting and billing system seems to erroneously count GB usage.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Or it could be what I've been maintaining for several months, that the complexity, graphics richness and embedded multimedia features of modern web sites have exploded exponentially, leading to far higher amounts of data being downloaded on an everyday basis by normal usage than used to be the case, a change that is "invisible" to most users if they haven't changed their normal surfing habits. I certainly saw such an increase in my monthly usage over the past year, even though I really had not changed my Internet habits that much.

A very good example is Youtube, where clips are now routinely posted that run at a variety of HD speeds. In fact, in addition to the two that have become standard, 720 and 1080, I even saw a clip the other day with a 4k option. It wouldn't surprise me if an in-depth analysis were to demonstrate that Youtube is a significant factor leading to increased average monthly usage.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rdsteele

said by rdsteele:

Nacraman, I have several customers that have switched from other broadband services that are complaining of the same problem. Their usage of the system in their small home based business is the same but their reported GB usage is at least double their usage on their older connection systems. It strikes me as quite odd that no one else has noticed this billing discrepancy. Also, I am getting complaints from iPhone users about having to turn everything off to not exceed their 2GB allowance within the first 1 to 2 weeks. The usage reporting and billing system seems to erroneously count GB usage.

If you have Sprint service although they are crap and I would never consider them no matter what.

Why not get Clear? it has unlimited usage and runs through sprint even if you only get 3G..

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Clear no longer offers service ... they were acquired by Sprint
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

To the best of my recollection, here's what Clear just told me about that.

They no longer sell new devices. However if one possesses a Clear-approved device, they still sell unlimited data plans that access their WiMax, provided the device one has is free and clear (p.i.!), and is not attached to an existing account and/or does not have any other jurisdictional problem associated with it (by which they mean, I would guess, a delinquent account).

There are two such approved devices, the Clear Hub Express and the Motorola modem. The latter Motorola designation/description was so vague that I asked for a model number but they could not provide it.

So I asked him directly about buying one of those devices used from eBay and they said that would be perfectly okay, provided there were none of the problems associated with it described in the above paragraph. If there were no problems, they told me, then all one had to do was to furnish them with what they termed the Mac ID for the device and one would be good to go.

While (as far as I could find) they no longer list plans on their own Clear.com web site , they still offer two plans for those folks who have one of the two devices listed above, according to this sales rep: One is a slower connection for $39.99 and the other is a faster-speed connection for 54.99.

Keep in mind that I am not a Clear customer, and have no history with them. There may be subtleties or ins and outs of their service which may materially alter the meaning of my understanding of the above; but that is certainly the information they conveyed, as far as I could tell.

And no, I did not bother looking up prices on on eBay for these two devices, since I find myself too often in a WiMax-less environment for this option to be of much use to me.

In addition, as some here may know, neither of those two devices can handle LTE. Under the circumstances, I've personally concluded that it is unlikely that there will ever be any Clear-approved LTE-capable device, which means that one will probably not be able, in the near future, to purchase an unlimited LTE plan through Clear, either with a new or a used device.

The bottom line: If anyone is lucky enough to have good WiMax in all the locations where one regularly finds oneself with one's laptop or other mobile web-connecting device, then this strikes me as a good deal. But if WiMax is not reliably available in all of one's frequently used locations, then fuggedaboutit.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

Clear is dead ..get over it

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

The web site seems to back up what Jim is saying , But also what Criggs is saying if you own a device

»www.clear.com/

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to rdsteele

Some how, my iphone 4 on verizon's 3g which for some reason sense last december have dropped in speeds horribly.. I mean like dial up is better. Yet some how i'm magically burning up 3.7 gigs a month on my iphone.. I call bullshit on their meter and call for congress to demand they all use a legit metering service with Major penalties for cheating.

patt2k

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rdsteele

I did not know that clear is gone.

I do have the Clear Hub if you want to buy it
you should be able to set up the service with it?
not sure how though.

and about the slow 3g data eating up this is why I like the android data usage tracker it shows what my apps are using

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

put it on ebay .. a worthless device that someone will buy
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

you should be able to set up the service with it? not sure how though.

rdsteele, according to the rep I spoke to at Clear, all you have to do is give them the Mac ID of the device you purchase and they run a check on it to make sure it's kosher. If it is, end of story, you get one of their plans. The 800 number where I spoke to them is at 888-888-3113.

That said, I would make very sure that WiMax is available in all the locations in which you want Internet connectivity before you go ahead and consider Patt2k's interesting offer. In order to make sure of that fact, go to Sprint. Purchase one of their plans that give you a device that has WiMax access. Then check to see whether WiMax is available in the locations where you will be using the web. You have three days to check it out before you have to return the device to Sprint and cancel the account. You will get an almost complete refund (I believe you will have to pay a prorated figure for the three days you used the service; if you choose to keep it past the three-day period, you have another chance to return and get a partial refund if you return and cancel before 14 days have elapsed, though the refund is less).

If you discover that WiMax is strong where you will be connecting to the Web, then the Clear WiMax option is a good one. If you discover that WiMax is spotty in one or more of the areas where you need connectivity then it probably is not a good deal for you.

patt2k

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by criggs:

said by patt2k:

you should be able to set up the service with it? not sure how though.

rdsteele, according to the rep I spoke to at Clear, all you have to do is give them the Mac ID of the device you purchase and they run a check on it to make sure it's kosher. If it is, end of story, you get one of their plans. The 800 number where I spoke to them is at 888-888-3113.

That said, I would make very sure that WiMax is available in all the locations in which you want Internet connectivity before you go ahead and consider Patt2k's interesting offer. In order to make sure of that fact, go to Sprint. Purchase one of their plans that give you a device that has WiMax access. Then check to see whether WiMax is available in the locations where you will be using the web. You have three days to check it out before you have to return the device to Sprint and cancel the account. You will get an almost complete refund (I believe you will have to pay a prorated figure for the three days you used the service; if you choose to keep it past the three-day period, you have another chance to return and get a partial refund if you return and cancel before 14 days have elapsed, though the refund is less).

If you discover that WiMax is strong where you will be connecting to the Web, then the Clear WiMax option is a good one. If you discover that WiMax is spotty in one or more of the areas where you need connectivity then it probably is not a good deal for you.

It might not be worthless after all lol.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

I like the android data usage tracker it shows what my apps are using

I wish Windows had something like that. Up until last week, I was hovering around the 75 gig mark. However I unexpectedly had a need to move large files between computers over the weekend. Obviously that has no effect on my data totals with my provider, but unfortunately the meter I use, which is Bandwidth Monitor by Rokario (recommended by Millenicom, a former provider of mine), can't distinguish between data moving between my personal computers and data moving between me and the web. The net result is that the total that Bandwidth Monitor is now giving me is way larger than is the actual amount of data that has moved over the connection furnished by my provider, Wireless 'n' WiFi. Effectively this means I'm flying blind at the moment.

So, if anyone knows of a Windows usage meter that can distinguish between data moving to me and from me to the web versus data that's merely moving between computers on my personal home network, I'd love to hear about it; thanks.

patt2k

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by criggs:

said by patt2k:

I like the android data usage tracker it shows what my apps are using

I wish Windows had something like that. Up until last week, I was hovering around the 75 gig mark. However I unexpectedly had a need to move large files between computers over the weekend. Obviously that has no effect on my data totals with my provider, but unfortunately the meter I use, which is Bandwidth Monitor by Rokario (recommended by Millenicom, a former provider of mine), can't distinguish between data moving between my personal computers and data moving between me and the web. The net result is that the total that Bandwidth Monitor is now giving me is way larger than is the actual amount of data that has moved over the connection furnished by my provider, Wireless 'n' WiFi. Effectively this means I'm flying blind at the moment.

So, if anyone knows of a Windows usage meter that can distinguish between data moving to me and from me to the web versus data that's merely moving between computers on my personal home network, I'd love to hear about it; thanks.

On my Fios I am using asus ac66u AC router with DD-WRT firmware it tracks everything that goes through the router,and the fios actiontec router wifi is disabled completely.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to rdsteele

I noticed that with Verizon as well, as i had to have the 12gb/mo plan for my usage on my Galaxy S3, but since dropping them and going back to T-Mobile's LTE with a Note II (i even let spotify update playlists in HQ over Cellular on T, i would not do that on VZW), i never go over 6gb.

I've increased my usage through both high quality streaming and YouTube and my usage is 1/2 of what it was. I honestly believe Verizon's billing system is not correct when counting data (and i believe it from when i worked there as a technical support coordinator - you would not believe how outdated their systems are)