Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

VZFiOSYo

join:2007-02-24
Lakewood, CA

1 edit

First completed 500/100 in California.

Just finished up on the first one in the state. Here is a speed test shot »i.imgur.com/3N6Rpmq.jpg?2

Installed for a web programmer/developer.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

nice. what's the speed test site? also, confused by which how one would benefit from such high speeds when most if not all websites can't even serve up content that fast, let alone video streaming sites such as Youtube and Netflix and Hulu. Also, for a web programmer and developer, the only thought I could think where this would be of any value would be if he is transferring files and other content back and forth from home and work, but then that would require the same speed tier or better on the other end. Overall, cool picture.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to VZFiOSYo

So there is fluff after all!

fatal

join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

I dream of one day leeching my topsites 24/7 on one of these connections j/k

VZFiOSYo

join:2007-02-24
Lakewood, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

nice. what's the speed test site? also, confused by which how one would benefit from such high speeds when most if not all websites can't even serve up content that fast, let alone video streaming sites such as Youtube and Netflix and Hulu. Also, for a web programmer and developer, the only thought I could think where this would be of any value would be if he is transferring files and other content back and forth from home and work, but then that would require the same speed tier or better on the other end. Overall, cool picture.

Speed test site is VZ's. According to the sub, he does a lot of file transfers from work and home. I think it was also the allure of having that much bandwidth.

If you've never seen bandwidth like this, it's really something else. Pages would load instantly. I'm talking as soon as you hit enter, not even a second after the page would be loaded completely. Pretty cool to see it in person.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by VZFiOSYo:

said by Mike Wolf:

Speed test site is VZ's. According to the sub, he does a lot of file transfers from work and home. I think it was also the allure of having that much bandwidth.

If you've never seen bandwidth like this, it's really something else. Pages would load instantly. I'm talking as soon as you hit enter, not even a second after the page would be loaded completely. Pretty cool to see it in person.

You don't need the 500/100 tier to get basically instant page loads. A much, much, much slower connection can get you the same thing.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
reply to VZFiOSYo

Page loads not affected by how much bandwidth you have but what DNS server you're using.

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
reply to VZFiOSYo

Tell him to slow down or he'll get a ticket.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to VZFiOSYo

Typical misperception about bandwidth vs latency. If I had a $1 for every time a gamer told me that a 50 or x line was way faster than their old line I would be rich. Of course that is pure human psychology because gaming relies on "latency" which is the same distance from the OLT no matter the speed. Once you show them the ping times and explain it, they still don't agree. It's simple human behavior. It's bigger, it must be better.

As others have noted to load a web page, outside of the latency one must resolve to a DNS server. If you reload the same page twice the second time is faster. Why caching.

That aside I would love to have a 500 line, but I can't justify the price nor do I really need it. But nonetheless it's cool that it exists and Verizon's wise choice to run fiber and cableco will pretty much wipe out DSL.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to Mike Wolf

never use VPN to work from home?
might as well be on the local network that kind of speed
remote desktop

also if you do any kind of A/V work from home moving multi GB files would go MUCH faster

btw Steam can soak that pipe with out trying

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike Wolf

I ordered this package on my install. Can't wait for it.

Working from home a lot this speeds helps. Im constantly shuttling packages and iso's between secure "zones" on 8 different lans and the 300 mbit package from comcast was awesome. Cut my wait times drastically.

I can't wait to see how much the 500 mbit package cuts off my times. And yes Ill make good legal use of it. I average moving 4 TB a month
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

So there is fluff after all!

I was told there would be fluff but it wouldn't be more than 15 megabits and it looks like they were right (not surprised). Unfortunately 500/115 is not enough to make the jump when for the same price I get 300/150 over two connections. Not worth loosing 35 megabits of upload especially when my last week my average upload rate has been 117.9 megabits. I could care less about the download as my average download was only 6.8 megabits.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

halfelite

join:2007-09-11

Would be tempting if I knew my connection would not drop to less then 1mbit at night time otherwise its just a waste of money.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to aaronwt

With Windows 8 it shows you the network performance, and from common browsing, even with pictures, it uses like 7Mbps out of my 55Mbps connection.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to elios

said by elios:

never use VPN to work from home?

No I don't actually.
said by elios:

might as well be on the local network that kind of speed
remote desktop

I agree.
said by elios:

also if you do any kind of A/V work from home moving multi GB files would go MUCH faster

I agree.
said by elios:

I'll take your word for it.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to BosstonesOwn

Sounds like a dream. The only things that could possibly suck, at least if it was me getting such high speeds, would be
• That my YouTube and Hulu and Netflix viewing wouldn't benefit much due to their server's limitations,
• That Verizon still doesn't support the Super HD OpenConnect stuff Netflix is pushing,
• My MoCA enabled TiVo's and Verizon's current gen set top boxes wouldn't even be able to utilize a quarter of those speeds because of the MoCA 1.1 speed limitation,
• My PS3, even with its gigabit Ethernet port, wouldn't be able to use those speeds either because of it still being limited to the overall speed of the game servers and all the unique factors that come with it.
--

Expand your moderator at work

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to VZFiOSYo

Re: First completed 500/100 in California.

Now all they need is an Dual band-N concurrent, or 802.11AC router, so you can take advantage of that kind of speed without dragging an Ethernet cord around the house with you all of the time....
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Mmm I'm getting flashbacks of YouTube videos of people with Google Fiber which offers 1GB connections doing testing with different AC routers and discovering not all routers are created equal.
--

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

1Gb would be tough for any consumer grade router, because you can't push a 1Gb LAN port faster than 1Gb.
Unless you have a 10Gb router, and a 10Gb NIC in your computer, you have kind of hit a brick wall.

Just imagine, needing an upgrade to a 10-GPON ONT...

When they go to 1Gb Fios, it would absolutely have to include at least 20-30Mb of "Fluff".

You know, so if you're streaming an on-demand movie at the same time, it wouldn't negatively impact your Internet connection speed.....

elios

Springfield, MO
reply to Mike Wolf

friend of mine is on school network and gets 10+ MB/s easy from steam
it takes him longer to install the game lol HDD is the weak link

elios

Springfield, MO
reply to KA3SGM

less the router then your HDD for most people will the weak link
our home router can push 1Gbps just fine but the HDD in the slower PCs on the network cant keep up

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to elios

I can definitely imagine that being the weak link elios. A solid state drive might be the answer, but then the processor or RAM or front side bus could then be the failing point, or even the operating system itself lol
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
reply to KA3SGM

Although I'd love to see those super fast speeds, I honestly am happy with my 55/11 I get from Comcast. I mean hell, after having 56k dialup until 2003 and Verizon DSL until 2006 where the highest speed I would see (when it worked ) was 756kbps, anything faster is a blessing. To be completely honest, I really don't see a difference in web browsing past a 10Mbps connection until it comes to video streaming. Video of the 500/100 speed tier »tinyurl.com/llu893k

You know, I've seen a ton of these FiOS commercials where they always feature video streaming on tablets and computers, yet I have call into question how legit those websites are with the blatant "Verizon" branding. »tinyurl.com/kay6xdu

And speaking of which, does anyone actually own a router that lights up "FiOS" on the side when the coax connection is made? »tinyurl.com/mr4whes Looks like an older Actiontec silver band model? I also notice that both times they show the router when it lights up, it isn't plugged into anything.

Should I be concerned that I actually understand what the tech is saying in this commercial? »tinyurl.com/mwuhext

elios

Springfield, MO
reply to Mike Wolf

i have a RAID 0 setup it keeps up just fine and my new 7200rpm dives are at the limit
(this is just moving files from one PC to another over the 1GigE network in home)
but the older 5200rpm drives that are only SATA I cant keep up
the SATA II dives are one line SATA III drives in a good PC should have no issue
this is also with just one user on trying to pull all 1000Mbps
in the real world where you might have 3 to 6 people on the network its not an issue as every one may be using as much as 200Mbps each

the thing people miss about a big pipe up and down is that when you have more then JUST YOU using the connection
if i want to stream on Twitch no one else can really use the net since im going eat all of the upload

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Good points. I'm frightened what's gonna come next.

elios

Springfield, MO

optical SATA
ie a fiber from the main board to the drive
bigger cheaper SSDs the days of mechanical drives are numbered for all but the most massive drive sizes ie >2TB
PCIe bus is more then fast enough for 1Gbps off the LAN port using 2x lanes
and DDR3 1600 has no issues ether
but yes older PCs are the weak link with Google Fiber and the like

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

What about the whole issue with flash based media having a limited number of read/write before complete failure?
--

elios

Springfield, MO

1 edit

still an issue but the number of R/W cycles is getting much better and they are packing in extra flashmem to pick up the slack

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

What about the whole issue with flash based media having a limited number of read/write before complete failure?

Nonsense. That's in the past, anyone saying SSD users have a ticking time bomb haven't been paying attention to SSD technological developments. I've done 40TB of writes on one of my 128GB Samsung drives and the life expectancy is still at 100%. A user on a tech forum I visit has done 6 PETAbytes on the same drive before it gave out. Most SSDs come from the factory with over-provisioning.

said by Mike Wolf:

said by elios:

I'll take your word for it.

Don't need his word, here's proof right here:

That's 296 Mbps(when I still had the 300/65 mbps plan)