Search similar:

uniqs

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 recommendations

chachazz

Premium Member

Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Microsoft Office 2010 contains new updates which improve security, performance, and stability. Additionally, the SP is a roll-up of all previously released updates.

Release date: 7/22/2013
Supported Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Further information & downloads: »support.microsoft.com/kb/2687455

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

1 recommendation

Hank

Premium Member

Thanks for the information.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

1 recommendation

Dustyn to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I was about ready to post this too thinking it was odd that no one had posted this sooner. At any rate, I noticed it appeared on Windows Update. I prefer the full download so I downloaded it to my data drive for future installation. I'm curious to see if the installs go well for others. I have Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus 64-bit SP1 installed. If the Service Pack update goes well, I'll reintegrate SP2 into the Office install media as I did when SP1 came out.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

1 recommendation

digitalfutur to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping this fixes the 'insufficient resources' error that I get with Excel at work from time to time. Only way to get out of it is to end the Excel session and restart the app.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I went ahead and downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit full files and saved them to my data drive for future install, just like Dustyn See Profile did.

I'll probably install it tonight.

Question for Dustyn See Profile: do you happen to have a set of steps or instructions on how to integrate SP2 into an existing Office 2010 Media? I already have SP1 built-in, but if there is a way to take that media, and add SP2 to it, that would be great.

Thanks,

--Brian
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I downloaded mine and wouldn't install. Said that there was a file/setting that wasn't expected, something like that. Might be because I have Pro + .....

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3
Click for full size
Picture #4
officesuitew···PLOG.LOG
5,816,236 bytes
SP2 Install Log File

Well, I just went ahead and did the install from the files I downloaded from Microsoft. Since I'm running the 64 bit version of Office 2010, I used the 64 bit install file, which is called
officesp2010-kb2687455-fullfile-x64-en-us.exe

Not sure if my issues are the same as kherr See Profile, but I could not get it to install either.

First, I believe I'm running the same version as they are. My "About" information is shown in Picture #1.

When I went and ran the install, I got the dialog box as shown in Picture #2. For reference, the full path to where the file "ProPlusWW.msi" is suppose to be is

C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}-C\

I do want to add that when I installed Office 2010 SP1 x64, the install did create the folder C:\MSOCache, with a bunch of stuff in it. Since I hate having extra stuff on my computer, I went ahead and deleted that folder and all files. I have of course installed office updates since then without any issue, so I'm not sure why the service pack needs a file out of there.

In any case, since I did have the Office 2010 SP1 cd that I used for the install, I put that in, found the file, and pointed the install to it.

Well, that did not make a difference, as the install still failed. Picture #3 shows the message that was returned by the installer, and Picture #4 shows the event log generated by the error.

The log file that is referenced in the event log is attached.

Thoughts as to why the install failed?

Thanks in advanced,

--Brian
SafireDonkey
Premium Member
join:2006-10-29

1 edit

SafireDonkey

Premium Member

Same problem, same error. failed to install.
Win7 64bit

neeb
@htv.fi

neeb to plencnerb

Anon

to plencnerb
Hello,

I am also unable to install this update - see screenshots below. Any tips?

I have no idea what "SingleImageWW.msi" is..

MS Office was pre-installed on my computer when I bought it and I don't have a DVD.

Thanks, Neil.

timoto
@wanadoo.fr

timoto to SafireDonkey

Anon

to SafireDonkey
Me too. Win 7 64 bit (but my install of Office Pro+ is for Office 32 bit version)
Failed to install several times - Firstly automatically via windows update (which was how I first got to know of the existence of this update). Strangely showing only about 48MB (??? seemed far too small). Install hung. Worse still, tried to power down and system warned me that "Installing update 1 of 1..." but with no progress at all. Nor much activity in HDD. So hard switch powered off.
Downloaded full KB2687455 file from online - this time 638MB.
Didn't work. system fell over... again.
Next tried a system restore to before Windows Update attempt.
Then tried again using 638MB file.
Now install currently stuck at about 45%.... with no error messages
Well done Microsoft.... You've wasted a morning of mine when I was very busy. And it is still not updated !

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
Click for full size
Picture #3
Click for full size
Picture #4
Just for giggles, I tried to install SP2 for Office 2010 via Windows Update.

As you can see by the above screens, that failed as well. Picture #1 is what Windows Update reported, and the rest (Picture #2 thru Picture #4) are the events that were logged.

Picture #3 seems to be the root of the problem, in that it cannot find a file that is needed to do the setup. I am guessing the installer is trying to verify the location of the MSI file C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}-C\ProPlusWW.msi which I don't have locally anymore (as I said in a previous post, I deleted that whole folder after I installed Office 2010).

I know that in the past, installs of Office updates, and service packs have been odd, in the fact that the source media in some form or fashion, has been required. I think it was Office 2000 (or maybe 2003) that actually needed the CD in the drive every time you installed an Office update. There was a work-around for that which involved copying the entire CD to your hard drive, and then changing a registry value to point the installer to the local directory.

Still, it looks like I'm not the only one who has deleted the MSOCache folder (and I can bet that a lot of other people have to), so this is going to be a big issue for Microsoft.

Looks like I'll have to figure out how to bake SP2 into my Office 2010 media, and just install it that way.

By the way, I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64. My Office Version is Office 2010 Pro Plus x64 with SP1. My install media came with SP1 already built-in (I downloaded it directly from Microsoft).

--Brian

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn

Premium Member

My media install did not come with SP1 so I created media that integrates SP1 and installed it that way. It was pretty easy, and I followed the steps provided here: »winsupersite.com/article ··· 1-139664 I did NOT follow his directions in regards to the 32-bit steps, as my media does NOT contain any 32-bit data. My copy is a digital download copy that is 64-bit only.

I will be attempting to update my Office 2010 64-bit SP1 installation with the install of SP2 very shortly. So far it doesn't look good as many of you are reporting failures.
Either way I'll integrate SP2 into my Office 2010 64-bit media so that if I can't get SP2 to install, I have the option of reinstalling Office with SP2 installed.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I received notification from Windows Update this morning but decided to let someone else to be an early adopter. Thanks to all of you for doing this

kiwiads
@ikbcc.com

kiwiads to timoto

Anon

to timoto
they have wasted my morning too. now i really hate microsoft and the bunch od idiots that's updating stuff like 10 years ago. the only way out is erase office and finally forget about microsoft. not a shame since they already managed to destroy ms office.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

I received notification from Windows Update this morning but decided to let someone else to be an early adopter. Thanks to all of you for doing this

Glad to be the guinea pig for you!

--Brian

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

Haven't had any issues on the many systems I've updated.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Haven't had any issues on the many systems I've updated.

On the systems that you did update that worked, do you happen to know if you have a folder off the root of the C drive called "MSOCache"? I don't remember if it is one of this "special" folders, so you may have to modify your explorer settings to actually see if it is there or not.

--Brian

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

No but I have access to a system that does not have an MSOCache folder and I can advise you of the status. Will update this post after I've done it... (of course, you can always use the source install disc if you delete MSOCache)

Edit: My mistake, the system had its Program Files on another drive and the MSOCache folder was on that drive, rather than the C: drive so I can't test it after all...

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

2 recommendations

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, thanks for looking. By the way, I did try to point the stand-alone installer of SP2 x64 to my source media, found the needed MSI file that it was looking for, but it did not matter. The install still failed.

However, as you can see from the above picture, I was able to get SP2 installed on my system.

How did I do it? I used the steps that Dustyn See Profile had referenced to slipstream service packs into the Office 2010 media.

I then removed Office 2010 from my system, and used my newly created ISO file of Office 2010 Pro Plus x64 w/SP2, and did an install. That worked like a champ!

So, I'll go and create a new ISO for Office 2010 Pro Plus x86 as well to include SP2.

--Brian

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 recommendation

jmorlan to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz
Click for full size
Updated 32 bit on Win7 from Win Update. Update was successful. No issues. Original MSOCache folder was present.
Fat City
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

Fat City to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Used Windows Update to install SP2 on my copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 32-bit. No problems at all and I was amazed at how quickly this 395 MB update downloaded and installed - under 3 minutes not counting the reboot.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

1 recommendation

Buddel to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Got SP 2 via Windows Update (Windows 7 Premium 32 bit, Office 2010). No reboot required, and no problems so far. Thanks for the info, chachazz See Profile.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
said by jmorlan:

Updated 32 bit on Win7 from Win Update. Update was successful. No issues. Original MSOCache folder was present.

Well, I did some testing, and I feel that part of the issue relates to the presence of the MSOCache folder.

I went ahead and removed Office 2010. I then rebooted, and installed Office 2010 x64 using my old DVD (the one that had SP1 built-in). Once it was complete I registered the software.

I went ahead and left the MSOCache folder alone. I did not delete it.

I then went and ran the install for the stand-alone installer for SP2 for the 64 bit version of Office 2010.

The install was successful. A reboot was needed in my case.

Of course, it could have worked because I had already installed Office 2010 with SP2 built-in. To fully test this theory, I would have to do a test where I install Windows 8 clean, then Office 2010 x64 w/SP1, and then apply the update. That would rule out the install "worked" because there was left-over registry keys, files, or folders that allowed the update to work.

However, I feel that test may be moot, as it appears a lot of people are having this issue getting SP2 to install if the MSOCache folder is missing.

--Brian

WayneG
@computer-talk.com

WayneG to chachazz

Anon

to chachazz
Similar to many below... would not install... tried multiple times on a Win7 machine and it fails after about 15 min with an error message 80070643 (which has no help/info at MS website). I tried with absolutely all applications killed (running apps window was blank except for Window Update)... very annoying.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
I have the C:\MSOCache folder and it requires elevated permission to grant access.
So with that verified, I'll be installing SP2 and post back my results.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

Boricua to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Thank you, chachazz See Profile, go it.

nona
@relakks.com

nona to chachazz

Anon

to chachazz
This worked for me:

Copy all files from ProPlus.WW map in Office 2010 Pro CD/ISO and paste into C\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}-C. If this map don't exist, create one and paste.

Run update (SP2) from downloaded .exe file (with Office 2010 Pro CD in computer).

»search.microsoft.com/sv- ··· abledate

poppyc
@comcast.net

poppyc to plencnerb

Anon

to plencnerb
The same thing happened to me. I tried clean boots, installing from the file rather than updates, and a number of other things over the course of several hours. Finally, this is what did the trick for me:
1. Go to the control panel and select "Programs and Features".
2. Find your Microsoft Office program in the list and right-click on it.
3. Select "Change". Then select "Repair".
4. When it gets finished, reboot your machine.
5. I downloaded the 32 bit SP2 file from here:
»www.microsoft.com/en-ie/ ··· id=39667
If yours is 64 bit, you will need to download the 64 bit version of that file.
6. I ran the file and it installed perfectly. Rebooted and it worked!

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
Looks like everything went very well without a hitch!
Just let the "offline" installer do it's thing and after a reboot... success.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Well, I'd like to report successful installation of SP2 via Windows Update (I just couldn't handle the suspense of not knowing whether it will work or not).

32-bit Office 2010 on Windows 7 x64
MSOCache present on C:
Office installation disc was not inserted.

One strange thing I noticed when I watched update progress in Control Panel is that it moved in 2 steps forward (to the right) - 1 step backward (to the left) manner (looking at Windows Update progress bar). I don't recall ever seeing it like that before, usually it only moves to the right. Nevertheless, update completed in several minutes and required reboot at the end, just as someone else reported above. Again, a bit unusual for Office Update if Office apps were not running.