All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Summit1972
join:2012-09-25
Summit, NJ

Summit1972

Why is UP available in every FiOS package except Extreme HD?

On Sunday, I switched from the Ultimate HD package to the Extreme HD package for financial reasons. I noticed in the channel lineups for all HD packages (Select HD, Prime HD, Ultimate HD) except Extreme HD that the UP channel (formerly GMC) is available. How come lower HD packages such as Select HD and Prime HD have UP but a higher HD package like Extreme HD does not have UP? It doesn't make any sense to me. Because of this odd setup, I now miss UP programs like 227 and The Waltons. Sure I can watch The Waltons on Hallmark so it's no real loss but I still wonder how Verizon came up with the decision to leave out UP on the Extreme HD package but make it available on the lower HD packages like Select HD and Prime HD.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

Yea, they do crazy things like that. I think it was Hallmark Movie Channel that was not available when we had Extreme, but when we downgraded to Prime, we can get it - go figure. BTW, check out Prime, there's not much we felt we lost other than BBC America, which we can get elsewhere.
Summit1972
Summit, NJ

Summit1972

You're right, Hallmark Movie Channel is not available with Extreme HD either. I also lost RFD TV (though I still get Family Net which shows some RFD TV programming), Retirement Living TV, and MGM HD. Perhaps when I can get my finances together in the future, I will re-subscribe to the Ultimate HD package as well as the HBO and Starz/Encore premium channels. I would have downgraded to Prime HD but I would have lost both MLB Network and NFL Network and as a sports fan, I refused to lose those channels. Currently, I am also subscribed to the MLB Extra Innings package as well as this upcoming season of NFL Red Zone.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to Summit1972

to Summit1972
said by Summit1972:

.... I noticed in the channel lineups for all HD packages (Select HD, Prime HD, Ultimate HD) except Extreme HD that the UP channel (formerly GMC) is available. ...

ITs one of those funny contractual things. Some channels insist that they be in the lowest generally available packages, but have no wording in the contracts that require them to be in all higher price packages. So Verizon puts them in prime and then since Ultimate is suppose to have all but the PREMIUM and Foreign puts in that as well.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

1 recommendation

Thespis

Premium Member

Yes, but most sane companies use the lowest tier package as the baseline and add to that to create the higher tier packages. It makes no sense to not offer all the channels included in the Prime package to Extreme subscribers. One should not lose something they already have if they upgrade a package.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Summit1972

Premium Member

to Summit1972
This is the entire reason I have not dumped my Ultimate HD tier. If I go to the select HD tier, I'm missing a channel or two that I want. But then I go up to the next tier, and I get those channels but one or two more drop off. So then if I go up one more, and one or two channels come back while one or two more drop off. I have to keep my Ultimate HD tier to keep getting the few channels I want that they screw around with in all the lower tiers.

But then the Ultimate HD tier has all the premium movie channels and sports channels that are nice to have, but I really don't need. I would rather save the $40 and not have them. I'm sure eventually I'll drop to a lower tier and just pay to get the shows I miss from Amazon or Vudu. And save $35 to $45 a month.
Summit1972
Summit, NJ

Summit1972

The reasons why I dropped Ultimate HD was to save $15 a month off my bill plus I was getting tired of seeing the same movies I like over and over again as well as the ones I don't like over and over again. At first, I didn't mind the frequent repeating of certain movies and programming on the premium channels (Showtime, TMC, Cinemax, Epix, Flix, MGM HD, Sundance) as well as the additional premiums I also was subscribed to (HBO, Encore, Starz) at 50 % off a month for the first year until I dropped those channels too to save money. However, after a while, I got sick of the repetition. When I downgraded to Extreme HD, I knew I was going to lose MGM HD as well as UP, RFD TV and the Hallmark Movie Channel plus free NFL Red Zone (which I have now signed up for for $15.00 a month for 4 monthly payments starting in the fall) but I had to make financial sacrifices to stay out of debt. I could have joined Select HD or Prime HD but I would have lost MLB Network and NFL Network and as a sports fan, I refused to lose those channels as I had said before. I can live without lots of movies but not baseball and football.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by Summit1972:

The reasons why I dropped Ultimate HD was to save $15 a month off my bill plus I was getting tired of seeing the same movies I like over and over again as well as the ones I don't like over and over again. At first, I didn't mind the frequent repeating of certain movies and programming on the premium channels (Showtime, TMC, Cinemax, Epix, Flix, MGM HD, Sundance) as well as the additional premiums I also was subscribed to (HBO, Encore, Starz) at 50 % off a month for the first year until I dropped those channels too to save money. However, after a while, I got sick of the repetition. When I downgraded to Extreme HD, I knew I was going to lose MGM HD as well as UP, RFD TV and the Hallmark Movie Channel plus free NFL Red Zone (which I have now signed up for for $15.00 a month for 4 monthly payments starting in the fall) but I had to make financial sacrifices to stay out of debt. I could have joined Select HD or Prime HD but I would have lost MLB Network and NFL Network and as a sports fan, I refused to lose those channels as I had said before. I can live without lots of movies but not baseball and football.

Wait, if you're in NJ (VHO7) why were you paying extra for HBO and Starz? All the premiums are included in Ultimate in NJ. They were for me when I had Ultimate earlier this year.
Summit1972
Summit, NJ

Summit1972

I am from Northern NJ and I had Ultimate HD alone but not the Ultimate HD bundle which includes internet and phone. I was told that free HBO, Encore and Starz were only available if I signed up for the Ultimate HD bundle so I had to sign up for those premiums separately and got 50% off each of them a month but even with those savings, I could no longer afford to keep them so I dropped HBO, Encore and Starz plus downgraded from Ultimate HD to Exteme HD.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson to QuaffAPint

Premium Member

to QuaffAPint

BBCA?

>>QuaffAPint: there's not much we felt we lost other than BBC America, which we can get elsewhere.

It's been a while since I checked out alternate access but when I was looking, I couldn't find Doctor Who available anywhere else--along with other BBCA programming--so I'm curious where else you can get their programming.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

We mostly watched Top Gear UK and copper and used places like Amazon Instant Video to stream em.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

said by QuaffAPint:

We mostly watched Top Gear UK and copper and used places like Amazon Instant Video to stream em.

Thanks...that's about what I found when I was looking before. I'd miss Doctor Who a lot...'-}}