spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lordie
been there, done that..
join:2001-11-13
Sunnyvale, CA

lordie

Phone call from Comcast asking me to upgrade my modem...

Today I received an automated call from Comcast asking me to log on to comcast.com/deviceupgrade and request a new modem.

Does anyone know what's this about?

A

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

If your area is DOSCIS 3.0 and you have an older DOCSIS 2.0 modem, they want you to upgrade.
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to lordie

to lordie
My guess is that you have and older DOCSIS 2.0 modem and they are asking you to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. The upgrade should be free assuming that you rent the modem from Comcast. You may however have to go to a service center to get the new device.

lordie
been there, done that..
Sunnyvale, CA

lordie

What would I get from a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Today I get 32m down and 10 up, how much faster will it be with the new modem?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by lordie:

What would I get from a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Today I get 32m down and 10 up, how much faster will it be with the new modem?

The use of a DOCSIS 3.0 modem has been recommended for the Blast! tier and higher. If you are on the Blast! tier, you may get a greater downstream speed than your current 32 Mbps using a new D3 modem.

The D3 modem's use of multiple bonded channels allows the load to be balanced across all the channels and helps insure that all of the users that share a cable node will achieve their subscribed tier speeds, even during times of heavy usage. So the use of a D3 modem would be advantageous to both you and Comcast.

Also, since many older D2 modems don't support IPv6, that could be another reason Comcast is now asking subscribers to upgrade to D3 ones.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to lordie

Premium Member

to lordie
Your modem is currently topped off at 32 Mbps. The tier you subscribe to is 50/10(Based on what you said) and you're currently limiting yourself with a D2 modem.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
It's not only about the speed the customer can get but also about Comcast being able to better balance utilization across more channels to make the experience better for all users.

lordie
been there, done that..
Sunnyvale, CA

lordie to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by lordie:

The use of a DOCSIS 3.0 modem has been recommended for the Blast! tier and higher. If you are on the Blast! tier, you may get a greater downstream speed than your current 32 Mbps using a new D3 modem.

The D3 modem's use of multiple bonded channels allows the load to be balanced across all the channels and helps insure that all of the users that share a cable node will achieve their subscribed tier speeds, even during times of heavy usage. So the use of a D3 modem would be advantageous to both you and Comcast.

Also, since many older D2 modems don't support IPv6, that could be another reason Comcast is now asking subscribers to upgrade to D3 ones.

Thanks!

I have applied on line for the upgrade, The web page says no cost changes. Cool!

A
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

If you're still using a D2 modem it seems to me that you would be better off buying your own D3 modem and eliminating your monthly rental fee for the modem from Comcast.

lordie
been there, done that..
Sunnyvale, CA

lordie

said by ExoticFish:

If you're still using a D2 modem it seems to me that you would be better off buying your own D3 modem and eliminating your monthly rental fee for the modem from Comcast.

What modems does Comcast support. is there a list somewhere?
BTW, I have voice service (triple play) so the modem must support telephony..

A
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to lordie

MVM

to lordie
said by lordie:

said by ExoticFish:

What modems does Comcast support. is there a list somewhere?
BTW, I have voice service (triple play) so the modem must support telephony..

As far as purchasing an eMTA to use with CDV, they used to be available at selected Best Buy stores, but that program appeared to have been discontinued a while ago.

However, there have been recent reports that the ARRIS TM722G D3 eMTA in Xfinity packaging is showing up again in some Best Buy stores: »[CDV] They're back
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Yeah, I saw where they were being offered again.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

The use of a DOCSIS 3.0 modem has been recommended for the Blast! tier and higher.

And for Performance tier as upgrades to Performance occur this year...
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

How will comcast being handling us (PERFORMANCE TIER) that own our docsis 2.0 modems that dont want to upgrade yet? How long will we have?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Is this a tease of an upgrade from 25 Mbps / 5 Mbps to something more?

--Brian

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by plencnerb:

said by jlivingood:

Is this a tease of an upgrade from 25 Mbps / 5 Mbps to something more?

--Brian

Actually, here in the Northeast, the Performance tier speeds were last bumped up from 16/2 to 20/4. In fact, that's the speed that's currently shown in the Provisioned Speeds FAQ: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

So 25/5 would be an upgrade here!

Looks like in other areas (like yours), the Performance tier was recently increased to 25/5 »[Speed] Any guess on next speed bumps? and that could be the upgrade that jlivingood See Profile is talking about for this year.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

How will comcast being handling us (PERFORMANCE TIER) that own our docsis 2.0 modems that dont want to upgrade yet? How long will we have?

A few years ago we removed all the D1.0 modems, and we're doing that now with D1.1 modems. It can be safely assumed that D2.0 will follow.

The process usually works in two ways. First if you are on a tier that needs a D3.0 device (or D3.1 in the future) you will be formally notified that we cannot deliver the advertised speeds unless you upgrade your device. I recommend you consider doing so now - see a recommended retail list @ »mynewmodem.comcast.net/.

The second is that at some point the devices need to be removed from the network. When that happened with D1.0 or D1.1 for example, customers are notified that they need to upgrade their device by a specific date, after which they will not have service.

See also »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

I strongly recommend anyone with a D2.0 modem upgrade now to a D3.0 modem. It gets you downstream & upstream channel bonding for better performance, IPv6 support, etc.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by jlivingood:

said by rody_44:

A few years ago we removed all the D1.0 modems, and we're doing that now with D1.1 modems. It can be safely assumed that D2.0 will follow.
:
See also »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

I strongly recommend anyone with a D2.0 modem upgrade now to a D3.0 modem. It gets you downstream & upstream channel bonding for better performance, IPv6 support, etc.

jlivingood See Profile has now created two new threads regarding this:

»[Speed] Upgrade Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem ASAP

»[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 2.0 Modem