Search similar:

uniqs
lethcoeb
join:2003-07-15
Houston, TX

lethcoeb

New Triple Play - Arris Modem installed without battery

Hi all,
My in-laws recently switched from business class to residential with Triple Play as they have shut down their business.

As part of the install they had the standard Arris TG862 eMTA installed for Internet and phone. However, it seems that the installer neglected to put the battery in the Arris.

I suggested they call Comcast to correct this, and apparently they were given excuses why the battery shouldn't be installed by phone tech support ("it only lasts for 3 minutes anyway").

I called BS on this and asked them to call back - I haven't followed up with them yet, but this seems very suspicious to me.

Am I crazy, or is it normal to not install a battery in the eMTA?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

It's normal not to install the battery now because Comcast just recently started charging $35.00 plus shipping for one. Still want it?

Inriverbank
@sbcglobal.net

Inriverbank to lethcoeb

Anon

to lethcoeb
That is standard practice now. There have been a few posts on this topic already. Seems that most people use cordless phones directly off the Emta, so if you lose power you don't have phone anyway.
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to lethcoeb

to lethcoeb
Recently, Comcast decided to stop supplying a battery in their eMTAs but you can buy one aftermarket I believe. Check this page on the Comcast support site.

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· battery/
lethcoeb
Houston, TX

lethcoeb

Thanks all - just came to the same conclusion through some additional research.

I sent my MIL a link to where she can purchase a battery.

I think it's bad form for Comcast to have made this change, but it is what it is.

I thought one of the reasons for generally disallowing self installs was assurance of both a dedicated power supply and back-up power in place.
JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
Spend the money on a UPS
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann

I always recommend a good UPS just to smooth out power and protect the equipment attached to it. I have found the battery in my Arris TM722g to be redundant since it creates an extra step (removal) when I want to power it down and reset it (I don't trust the reset button).
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
The disallowing self installs was 911 related. Had nothing to do with dedicated power as its rare for modems to even have dedicated power.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to lethcoeb

Premium Member

to lethcoeb
Another reason to keep a landline around, even if it's just for emergencies.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Or a cell phone works for most people as a backup.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by rody_44:

Or a cell phone works for most people as a backup.

Even one that isn't currently subscribed to service can dial 911.
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN to lethcoeb

to lethcoeb
said by lethcoeb:

...the battery shouldn't be installed by phone tech support ("it only lasts for 3 minutes anyway").

I called BS on this and asked them to call back ...

This is most definitely BS unless its defective. Last week I had a substantial outage; I have no idea how long it lasted, but when I got home, both my UPS batteries had drained, and when the power came back, my emta had reported the power failure [UPS power failure, mind you...not mains] sometime after 4pm. Power came back on around 6pm. I never lost my phone service.

-Alan
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Your UPS is going to have a hell of a lot more backup than a emta battery. Its no secret if you want emta battery backup you purchase it. All cellphones that have dial tone can reach 911. I happen to live in a state that even tho i havent subscribed to verizon for land line in 7 years or so that still has the ability to dial 911. Than again the OP never mentioned 911 and probably is like me and doesnt really care since pretty well everyone has a cell phone and even if you have a phone its probably a cordless which renders it useless anyway.
lethcoeb
Houston, TX

lethcoeb to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

The disallowing self installs was 911 related. Had nothing to do with dedicated power as its rare for modems to even have dedicated power.

Actually, when researching self installs earlier this year for my own purposes, a dedicated outlet was listed as a requirement by Comcast.
lethcoeb

lethcoeb to JJV

to JJV
said by JJV:

Spend the money on a UPS

She already has a UPS in place - they are over-conservative when it comes to power and back-up (they ran their business out of the home and had multiple power upgrades installed and dedicated UPS's throughout the house at each PC, server, and network device location).
I was just surprised to find Comcast did not include the battery since it was listed in the self-install instructions / specs for the device.
lethcoeb

lethcoeb to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

Another reason to keep a landline around, even if it's just for emergencies.

Agree, but they are winding down costs so saving $40-50 per month was part of the calculation.
I've kept my landline ( for now ) and just with basic service, limited long distance, etc it runs me ~$50 per month.
lethcoeb

lethcoeb to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Your UPS is going to have a hell of a lot more backup than a emta battery. Its no secret if you want emta battery backup you purchase it. All cellphones that have dial tone can reach 911. I happen to live in a state that even tho i havent subscribed to verizon for land line in 7 years or so that still has the ability to dial 911. Than again the OP never mentioned 911 and probably is like me and doesnt really care since pretty well everyone has a cell phone and even if you have a phone its probably a cordless which renders it useless anyway.

Actually, the in-laws of course have cell phones, but she did specifically ask the Comcast rep on the phone when changing over service about back-up in the event of loss of power and my MIL said she was told it would include the back-up battery - but she might have been mistaken.
She was surprised when i told her that the modem does not have the battery.
But the tech did plug it into her existing UPS, which also backs up the router and her existing wifi router.
lethcoeb

lethcoeb to FirebirdTN

to FirebirdTN
said by FirebirdTN:

said by lethcoeb:

...the battery shouldn't be installed by phone tech support ("it only lasts for 3 minutes anyway").

I called BS on this and asked them to call back ...

This is most definitely BS unless its defective. Last week I had a substantial outage; I have no idea how long it lasted, but when I got home, both my UPS batteries had drained, and when the power came back, my emta had reported the power failure [UPS power failure, mind you...not mains] sometime after 4pm. Power came back on around 6pm. I never lost my phone service.

-Alan

Completely agree.
She is purchasing the eMTA battery to solve the problem.