Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

patrick2269
Premium
join:2011-04-05
Snow Camp, NC

[TWC] why is time warner charging to use wireless? (NC)

I bought my own Motorola SBG6580 and TWC is wanting to charge me 4.95 a month to use the wireless on my modem.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
Same reason the rentals cost so much: because the payment on the CEO's 3rd yacht is coming up.

/M

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to patrick2269
said by patrick2269:

I bought my own Motorola SBG6580 and TWC is wanting to charge me 4.95 a month to use the wireless on my modem.

The reason is profit. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to patrick2269
Wait...

So you can lease a modem with wireless for $4.95

Or you can buy your own modem and still pay $4.95?

What's the point in buying your own then? I suppose most people who buy their own modem probably buy their own router too... but the built-in wireless is good enough for me.

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to patrick2269
This is absurd. I recently went through getting my parents/siblings their own modems to eliminate the fee on each of their accounts. I had thought about buying four SBG6580 gateways, but instead I bought four SB6141's and used their existing routers. Glad I did.

patrick2269
Premium
Snow Camp, NC
reply to motoracer
yea It is absolutely ridiculous to charge 4.95 to use wireless that is built-in to a modem that I own.

to Phroz: what they told me is if I upgrade my lease modem to one with wireless I would be charge 4.95 to lease the modem + 4.95 to use the wireless so basically a total of 10 a month. Then they said or I can buy my own so I did. called and activated it then they drop the 4.95 lease for the modem I sent back. Then I realized the wireless was not working on my new modem thinking it was a modem problem at first then figured out the modem was fine. So I called TWC back then they tell me I must pay 4.95 a month to use the built-in wireless on my own modem. I said this is ridiculous then the rep. said I am sorry sir but wireless is not a free service. so now I have to go buy a router to use Wireless for FREE, but don't tell them you have one they might start charging you to use wireless on my own router as well.

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to patrick2269
patrick2269, can you log into the SBG6580 and enable the wireless yourself? A quick search online showed some instructions on how to log into the modem, from there might be able to turn it on yourself.

Been There

@rr.com
reply to patrick2269
Better jump on that deal! They wanted to charge me $10! Needless to say I declined their most kind and generous offer.

patrick2269
Premium
Snow Camp, NC
reply to djc6
the area is grayed out and set to disabled. If I disconnect the cable and rest the modem with the button on back once it reboots the wireless comes on and stays on but no internet being that the cable is disconnected. once I hook back to TWC and get internet the wireless light flashes twice then turns off.

roc5955
Premium
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY
Sounds like if you had your own wireless access point, and shut off the wireless that they are provisioning to the modem, it might work. The other alternative would be to get a WAP and a cable modem without wireless, and tell TWC to discontinue wireless service.
--
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

patrick2269
Premium
Snow Camp, NC
yea just don't tell them you have a WAP or router with wireless LOL they want to charge you 4.95. one rep. I was talking to was trying to tell me wireless is not a free service and if I got a WAP or router that it would not work until I called them and told I had wireless. so they could charge me for it to work right. I was like BS on that lol. then just hung up on him.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

1 recommendation

reply to patrick2269
said by patrick2269:

I hate to say this but it's foolish to buy a cable modem with built in router/wireless. Cable standards change very slowly, wireless standards are always evolving. The SBG6580 is a poor router with very limited capacity. The wireless N (300) standard is no longer state of the art. Dual Band N900 (450x450) and the new AC standard (450x1300) is becoming widely available. Also using just a modem as I did purchasing my SB6141 I get the discount of owning my own modem and I can change ISP providers and not have to reconfigure my entire network because I own and update my wireless router myself, it doesn't care who the provider or what the modem is.

Yes, the new AC standard is currently 1.3Gb wireless on the 5Ghz band. Return the SBG6580 get a SB6141 and you can start with a low cost router and get a better one later, new AC models are coming out every few months. I just upgraded my router after switching ISP's for the second time in 3 years (AT&T DSL -> Clear -> TWC)

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

reply to patrick2269
Wait, they are restricting your own modem?

File a FCC complaint, they have no right to disable Wireless on a Customer Owned SBG6580.

patrick2269
Premium
Snow Camp, NC
reply to PamelaTS
I don't really need to be on the cutting edge of wireless I got the SBG6580 for $60 vs the SB6141 for $90 and both have GB LAN and DOCSIS 3.0 , so I went for the cheaper one.

TO: OSUGoose
How would I go about filing a FCC complaint?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
Use the direct forum here to contact TWC about it: »Time Warner Cable Direct I think TWC has a separate config for customer owned modems and yours may not have gotten it. IIRC only TWC rental modems should be charged for wireless access/setup.

patrick2269
Premium
Snow Camp, NC
reply to patrick2269
I have called 8 times finally got someone that knows what was going on but got disconnected from him. he was telling me my modem is Coded incorrectly in TWC system, I guess he was trying to fix it but we got disconnected.
I guess the way my modem is coded in the TWC system is disabling my wireless and showing that I need to pay a fee, when I do not have to pay because I physically own the modem it is my equipment

Dose any one have a number I can call that will not direct me to the national TWC tec. support almost all of them have no idea what I am talking about. would like a number for someone based out of NC like the guy I had after I was transferred 6 times and on the phone for almost 2hr. it just sucks to get disconnected when I was so close to getting the problem fixed.....

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
I can't believe it, it's time to shine but no one is showing up.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to patrick2269
said by patrick2269:

he was telling me my modem is Coded incorrectly in TWC system

Correct. Your modem is being sent a config for a leased modem (which is why the wireless is being overridden and turned off.) Post in the direct forum and they should be able to get you sorted out.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
reply to patrick2269
And now you know why "calls may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance purposes." By giving you an answer that was not consistent with the first 7 reps, the 8th guy violated the 'consistency' requirement and the call was promptly terminated due to the poor quality. I'm sure the rep was reprimanded for failing quality control as well.

/M

adrman
Premium
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to patrick2269
said by patrick2269:

Dose any one have a number I can call that will not direct me to the national TWC tec. support almost all of them have no idea what I am talking about.

This will get you direct to Level 3 support. 866.506.0218

patrick2269
Premium
Snow Camp, NC
Finally level 3 got it fixed called that number they transferred me to a level 3 in NC.
He got it fixed he said there was all kinds of wrong codes in the system on my account. It was showing up as a D2 modem when its a D3, showing as the wrong type and model. also coded as a lease and Customer Owned modem at the same time.
all good to go now thanks to that guy and not getting disconnected.

to:mackey I hope he did not get reprimanded for actually know what's going on. lol

Fisamo
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
·VOIPO
reply to mackey
said by mackey:

And now you know why "calls may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance purposes." By giving you an answer that was not consistent with the first 7 reps, the 8th guy violated the 'consistencyconspiracy' requirement and the call was promptly terminated due to the poor quality. I'm sure the rep was reprimanded for failing quality control as well.

/M

Fixed it for ya.