share rss forum feed

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Cogeco area outage

We had an outage from approximately 00:20 to 00:35 this morning, it restored while investigating however has just gone down again at 01:00. We are in contact with Cogeco to determine the reason and ETA. We apologize for the inconvenience in the mean-time and will post updates here as available.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Up at 01:09. No reason available yet.

TheRizzo

join:2011-01-30
reply to rocca
Good ol Cogego. Not only charge you way more, but then totally unreliable when it comes to up-time, and notification. I really need to ditch them for my cable tv service soon. Only the Super Sports Pack keeps me there.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca
More 'planned maintenance' that we didn't get notified about, will be taking that up with someone other than NOC tomorrow.

Haven't received confirmation if maintenance is complete yet, will update as available.

lowlevel

join:2008-02-27
Milton, ON
reply to rocca
Ok.. thanks for the update. These outages are getting rather frequent, and there is never any advance notice...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Yeah, last one was July 10th - not happy about that either. They claim they sent out notifications, but based on other posts about other TPIA's having issues I'm going to say no one got a notification. Will be raised with the data group manager tomorrow.

lowlevel

join:2008-02-27
Milton, ON
Good luck... thanks again, seem to be back online now.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca
Just got confirmation, it looks like work is done but their window is open until 06:00 in case they need to reboot/update anything else. The NOC was unable to find the notification that was supposedly sent out and judging from other posts it's not just us that didn't get any notification.

niiagara

@start.ca
reply to rocca
doesnt seem like it.. its back up and i did some speed tests and its very spiky

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Work appears to be continuing... links down again 02:02, suspect will be back up in a few minutes after another reboot. Maintenance of course is important and these upgrades are 'good things', but the timing and lack of notice is definitely an issue and we'll be addressing with the appropriate people tomorrow.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca
Apparently not just TPIA's affected, other commercial services served by that gear also impacted.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
Is Cogeco obligated, either contractually or regulatory, to notify you (and others) of any planned maintenance?

For the life of me, I can't understand why Start and so many others have joined forces and begat CNOC, effectively replacing CAIP, and yet CNOC stands around like a sheep waiting to be sheered watching all this evil shit take place. And by that I mean stuff like no maintenance notifications, disconnecting TPIA/GAS when customers cancel other incumbent services like TV or phone, install no shows, the list goes on and on. Did CNOC just suddenly become as ineffectual as CAIP ever was? Or did I miss something..... maybe?

Because the behaviour I'm talking about runs counter to just about all of CNOC's short list of guiding principles. One has to wonder, what the hell is it they are actually doing? Anything? Because consumers have been putting up with the backlash from the shit CNOC is supposed to be trying to prevent. For many many years.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Just because you're not hearing anything doesn't mean nothing is being done.

Please remember that CNOC isn't a consumer group, rather it's an industry group and I can tell you that as an industry we're already very organized and dealing with these issues. Things take time unfortunately and while there are some problems, some of them when looked at a percentage are less than a percent and while we'd like perfection, it's harder to achieve sometimes.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca

Not sure what I was doing, but this outage snuck right by without me noticing.

Still, GOUGEco needs a poke in each eye for this kind of (mis)behaviour, and not just Stooges style !