Fios = 500Mbps
LTE = 50 Mbps
Cable = 300 Mbps

U-Verse is 45Mbps is DOA

-G

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
45 Mbps? How about they try getting something higher than 12 Mbps?

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to UBustatt
you forgot Google with 1Gbps
yea FTTN was DoA when they first came out with it

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

reply to UBustatt
LTE = 50 Mbps
Cable = 300 Mbps

are both shared pre node / tower

also LTE caps make it a joke to compare it with cable or dsl

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to UBustatt
I got LTE when it first went live in my area and the only LTE phone was a Thunderbolt. Never did I hit 50 Mbps. And even if I could I would prefer 45 Mbps on a wired connection.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

reply to UBustatt
"With our plant technology advancements, 90 percent of our U-verse customer locations will have the capability to receive what we project to be 75 Mbps.

If you read this carefully, look at the wording. It doesn't say customers it says customer "locations". So if 1 customer can get that speed in a DSLAM, than it counts. There is only so much you can do with untwisted, unshielded wire that can be 50 years old. C'mon go shoot the horse in the back of the barn.

We all know DSL is no walk in the park, and it's total bs that AT&T is going to go around running another 2-3 pairs to a person's house to get adequate signal. I was reading about some loop technology (the person's DSL modem becomes a repeater), well that may work but now you have a big loop. How is latency going to be then?

I was reading about G.fast however this really needs FTTC and refrigerators all over the place and really only works less than 200m and less than 5 nodes. At that point why the f**k even bother. Just run the fibre already.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to UBustatt
Yeah, if only I could find something that I needed or wanted Internet access for that I could do at 10mbps or less... oh, wait--that would be just about everything!

elios

Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

in 2001 maybe
10Mbps is be the bottom speed for any ISP and thats 10Mbps up AND down
not this shitty 10/1 crap
copper is the new dial up

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
You need as much as 7mbps for streaming [what they call] HD from Netflix and Amazon. The huge majority of Internet users don't need anything more than that since streaming is about the most bandwidth intensive thing they do. So sad... 90% of the super high-speed access you're buying just "sits on the shelf". Welcome to reality... in 2013.

elios

Springfield, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

check back in 6months when the PS4 and XB1 launch
they will make DSL look like dial up in there hunger for bits and bandwidth
people will blow there caps like never be for and upload rates will be strained to breaking
and i use every bit of the speed i am paying for almost daily

go look up Twitch TV i stream games on there and it use ever last bit of upload i have
what i need is more upload
as for download we have 3 people the house that stream video at 7 to 10 Mbps each thats 30Mbps right there with no over head for any thing else
so a 50/10 connection would get used to max daily for us
and this will be the norm in 6-12 months for 90% of people and that will double over the next 2 years
in the next 10 years if the bulk of the US isnt on 1Gbps connection we might as well be the next 3rd world country

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

LTE = 50 Mbps
Cable = 300 Mbps

are both shared pre node / tower

also LTE caps make it a joke to compare it with cable or dsl

So is FIOS. GPON is 2.488Gbps down and 1.244GBps shared among 32 customers.

Assuming 8 downstreams and 4 upstreams, Cable is 343Mbps down and 122Mbps up shared among ~80-120 customers depending on number of homes passed and customer penetration.

Admittedly a 300Mbps cable modem would place a much heavier burden on a serving group much faster than a 500Mbps GPON ONT does but it is unfair to negatively classify other technologies as "shared" and not admit the same of PON.

LTE4LIFE

join:2013-02-28

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
try going faster than 768Kbps on their basic U-Verse packages for rural areas.

I had to argue with one of their CSRs about it being DSL repackaged and she kept telling me that U-Verse is an all fiber connection.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to elios
Yeah, because everyone out there is some little kiddie playing games. You use the speed you pay for--good for you. You're one of the few. You clearly don't know what everyone else is typically doing with their connections. But you go on... lead the way for the rest of us.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to UBustatt
said by UBustatt :

Fios = 500Mbps
LTE = 50 Mbps
Cable = 300 Mbps

U-Verse is 45Mbps is DOA

-G

Including FiOS, Cable and U-Verse along with LTE is a joke.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to GlennAllen
LOL, we have found the one person that knows what is needed by the entire internet world based on his own experience.

I am so glad we found you. I think there were a few telco, cable and FIOS engineers looking for you here earlier. They really need you to help optimize their networks based on this amazing discovery you have made. I am pretty sure they want to bring back 28k baud modems and need your expertise as the overseer of the internet.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Wait... I'll get back to you when I'm done laughing...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elefante72
Bell Canada is already doing 50 meg VDSL2 to their customers, with 75 on the horizon (for users on remotes that support profile 17a), and is now deploying line bonding to extend those speeds to customers who would otherwise be too far from the remote to get them...

Not ideal, but since Bell is simultaneously rolling out FTTH, their FTTN deployments keep them competitive until FTTH arrives in those areas.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

Trollhawk

join:2005-05-28
reply to UBustatt
It might not compete on absolute top speeds, but that doesn't mean it's DOA. Only a small percentage of customers even subscribe to those top speeds if they can even get it. Price will be more of a factor. And I don't mean price per Mbps, but simply absolute price. I have a newer home with FTTP U-verse, but I only subscribe to the 12Mbps service instead of the highest offered 24Mbps service because 12Mbps is currently good enough for my needs and I don't feel the bump to 24Mbps is worth the bump in price. The fiber to my house will be able handle any speed upgrades AT&T throw at it, but I won't upgrade unless the price is reasonable.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Bell Canada is already doing 50 meg VDSL2 to their customers, with 75 on the horizon (for users on remotes that support profile 17a), and is now deploying line bonding to extend those speeds to customers who would otherwise be too far from the remote to get them...

Not ideal, but since Bell is simultaneously rolling out FTTH, their FTTN deployments keep them competitive until FTTH arrives in those areas.

They will be rolling out faster speeds on DSL too. The vast majority of customers won't see FTTH anytime or anytime soon.

elios

Springfield, MO
reply to GlennAllen
guess you missed that both the XB1 and PS4 have built in streaming as in Twitch streams

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
reply to GlennAllen
Some of those "little kiddies" actually make some very decent money streaming their video games.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
It's just as true now as it ever was: there's a sucker born every minute (well, actually... more often now).

elios

Springfield, MO

1 edit
»www.twitch.tv/
you might want to check it out
i watch stuff on here then on network TV
and a lot more are doing the same
both the PS4 and XB1 have game streaming built in
if it wasnt the next big thing they wouldnt have built it in to the systems

»www.twitch.tv/directory
170,000 people watching streams right now more on the weekends and then add another 30k or so when there is a big eSports stream going
and another 50k to 100k when a new game comes out
most of the people streaming are in there 30's
so much for kids playing games

fyi the avg age of people that play PC and Console games is mid 30's

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to GlennAllen
Look at this filthy console peasant who's never heard of Steam.

Max Payne 3 alone is over 30 gigabytes.

I don't want to sit around all god damn day with my thumb up my ass waiting for one game to download.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to GlennAllen
and you're one of those suckers.

elios

Springfield, MO
think you have that backwards

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to UBustatt
How dare AT&T improve its 18/3 Mbps service offering

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to UBustatt
The vast majority of people out there don't need those kinds of speeds!

If you ask any of the major ISPs what their subscriber rate for the higher speed tiers are you'll more than likely find that very few people subscribe to anything higher then 15 Mbps. Only the people who are geeks, want to brag about how fast their Internet connection is, have money to burn, or actually have a need for those speeds subscribe to speed tiers higher than 15 Mbps.

People, we are in the very tiny minority here. The average Joe Shmoe does not care if their download from Steam will take ten minutes more, they'll just go outside and water or cut the grass while the download is being done.

I have uVerse right now with 24 Mbps down. Would I like 30 Mbps or even as high as 45 Mbps? Yes. But do I need it? Not really. If I can get the 45 Mbps tier at a decent price then I may go for it but only if I can get it at a decent price.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to 34764170
I already have 40/5 from CenturyLink (really at 40/3 currently because of a line problem in my building i'm fighting with the condo assn to fix) - My neighbor is able to do 40/20. This 45/5 is nothing amazing, especially if they're doing bonded pairs.

VDSL2 can easily do 50/20 over a "decent" line and 50/5 over a so-so line - all on a single pair. AT&T is just being cheap and using older plain VDSL1. They need to go with VDSL2 if they ever plan on actually competing.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Guspaz
I guess us Canadians don't have it as bad as we might gripe about when it comes to "regular" internet.

Certainly in Bell territory, it's 50/10 max on DSL, with 75 Mbps + on the horizon.

I have 25/7 at home (10 up is too unstable) and 25/10 at a rental I own. The rental's line stats are fabulous and from what I remember from a few months back, 70+ Mbps will easily attained on that line.

While DSL may have its limits, based on Bell Canada's deployment, I think it's still got a decent enough life span to it. They are actively working on their network, trying to spread IPTV and provide good speeds. They may not have the speeds that cable does, but at least in Canada you can get an unlimited 25/10 or 50/10 connection for what I would consider a reasonable price.

We don't have the blow them out of the water speeds available with some US packages, but we also have a much, much better DSL situation that appears to be the case in AT&T territories.