uniqs
djc6
Premium Member
join:2007-11-28
Rocky River, OH

djc6 to patrick2269

Premium Member

to patrick2269

Re: [TWC] why is time warner charging to use wireless? (NC)

patrick2269, can you log into the SBG6580 and enable the wireless yourself? A quick search online showed some instructions on how to log into the modem, from there might be able to turn it on yourself.
patrick2269
Premium Member
join:2011-04-05
Snow Camp, NC

patrick2269

Premium Member

the area is grayed out and set to disabled. If I disconnect the cable and rest the modem with the button on back once it reboots the wireless comes on and stays on but no internet being that the cable is disconnected. once I hook back to TWC and get internet the wireless light flashes twice then turns off.

roc5955
Premium Member
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

roc5955

Premium Member

Sounds like if you had your own wireless access point, and shut off the wireless that they are provisioning to the modem, it might work. The other alternative would be to get a WAP and a cable modem without wireless, and tell TWC to discontinue wireless service.
patrick2269
Premium Member
join:2011-04-05
Snow Camp, NC

patrick2269

Premium Member

yea just don't tell them you have a WAP or router with wireless LOL they want to charge you 4.95. one rep. I was talking to was trying to tell me wireless is not a free service and if I got a WAP or router that it would not work until I called them and told I had wireless. so they could charge me for it to work right. I was like BS on that lol. then just hung up on him.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

OSUGoose to patrick2269

to patrick2269
Wait, they are restricting your own modem?

File a FCC complaint, they have no right to disable Wireless on a Customer Owned SBG6580.