HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Cisco Aquiring SourceFire

»www.cisco.com/web/about/ ··· ire.html

»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20130723

When I think of SourceFire, I think of Snort and IDS / IPS... or am I out to lunch on what these guys do?
If it is IDS / IPS, we'll see if this helps out with the hardware side of things on the IPS sensors... from
what I've seen they're a generation or two behind what other competitors are offering for speed / capability.

Guess this is what Cisco had up their sleeve when they were talking about "Cloud IPS," especially on
the newer X-model ASAs?

Regards
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

Cisco doesnt just buy new technology or ideas, they buy competition to put a bullet in their head and absorb their customer base.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Yeah that was why they bought Arrowpoint and Aironet and Scientific Atlanta etc. I'm sure there are some acquisitions motivated purely by the desire to eliminate competition, but I think they are fewer and farther between than you might think. Most of those kinds of acquisitions are not significant competitors. They are usually just bothersome gnats in the marketplace who happen to have some desirable patents and technology. Now if they bought someone like Juniper or Checkpoint or Aruba, then I would agree with the statement.

Cisco's IPS/IDS has long been trailing the market and in sore need of a competitive facelift. I can't recall the last time I heard a big enterprise seriously consider Cisco in that space. It's been years.