spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wgbeatty
join:2013-07-24
Jenison, MI

wgbeatty

RG6, RG11 or CAT6 for burial

We've got Charter Internet service to a house on our property. We run our business out of a building about 600 ft. from the house on the same property. Charter isn't eager to quote us to run the service back to the building, and we've got a HIGH quote from an electrician to who says "CAT6 is the way to go". Better to run CAT6 for 600 ft to the house or RG6 or RG11 instead? Seems to me that RG6 would suffice with perhaps an amplifer added to the the mix to help the signal. CAT6 is think has a around 200ft max, doesn't it?

Thanks for any input on this.

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight

100 meters (328 feet) for Cat 5 or 6. If you have the ability to have electricity at the point of origination, it may be cheaper to do a wireless link using an 802.11a Ethernet bridge.
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
That is too far for cat6. 300' is the usual max for twisted pair copper. You would be losing too much in coax for that kind of run for a modem. You really have two options if you cannot get Charter to run a line back there. One is fiber. If you do this make sure to put it in conduint so if it goes bad it is easier to replace. The other is a wi-fi bridge with two panel, yagi or parabolic antennas if there is clear line of sight.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

1 edit

sittin_tech to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
Rg11 has a limit of about 350ft besides you'd need a separate internet account if you're going to run coax. I agree fiber is your best option if you're networking off your current service.

Found some info on networking over coax that can go 1000ft. Try this
»www.gefen.com/pdf/GTV-ET ··· COAX.pdf
wgbeatty
Jenison, MI

wgbeatty

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like CAT 5/6 is out, which I figured anyway. Does anyone think RG6 or 11 with amplification is worth a shot?

I thought wireless as well. I haven't configured anything with outdoor antenna's yet, but it might be an interesting learning experience. We've got a pretty decent line of sight to the building - maybe a few tree branches along the way. Looking at equipment pricing thought, dropping coax might be a cheaper option.

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow

Anon

RG6 is good up to 150'
RG11 is good up to 300'
So you will be better served by Flex .500 or larger cable.
You mentioned that Charter didn't want to give you a price for running this cable. Have you spoken with a CB rep?
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
You are looking at 3-5k for that kind of run from what has been quoted before.
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

1 edit

cooldude9919 to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
Ubiquiti nanostation m5 loco would be your cheapest route, and could get you over 100mb between the buildings. Gear itself would run around $140 for 2, and some mounts, and cable to run to them, id say you would be $300 to $400 total.

You could run cat6, and use an "Ethernet extender", basically DSl, would run around $300 »www.amazon.com/dp/B002CLKFTG . Cost of conduit, etc for this would be pretty expensive.

Same for fiber, cost of the fiber, plus media converters, plus conduit, would be expensive.

Also should add, no reason to get a separate connection from charter for this, could just use your current connection. You also COULD get another one if you wanted, and just install the modem at your house, and shoot it out to the other building.

W8ASA
Biet Noi Tieng Viet Khong?
join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH

W8ASA to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
I'd definitely go wireless, assuming you have line of sight with no obstructions. Very quick setup, and that distance would not require any large antennas at all. Easy to set up, and lots of brands to choose from.

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
»www.radiolabs.com/produc ··· idge.php
Probably overkill, but this give an idea of cost.
cooldude9919

cooldude9919

said by lineofsight:

»www.radiolabs.com/produc ··· idge.php
Probably overkill, but this give an idea of cost.

That's pretty crappy for the cost. 54mbps b/g for $375? No thanks! Ubiquiti is a much better deal.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

3 edits

DataRiker to wgbeatty

Premium Member

to wgbeatty
85 bucks for a VDSL ethernet extender 100/100m @ 300 meters (~600 ft)

»www.dsl-warehouse.com/pr ··· odu0AAIg
cooldude9919

cooldude9919

said by DataRiker:

85 bucks for a VDSL ethernet extender 100/100m @ 300 meters (~600 ft)

»www.dsl-warehouse.com/pr ··· odu0AAIg

Sells as a single there, two pack is $170, still cheapest extender set I've seen so not bad!
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
How about MOCA? I do not know how far a coax run it would work with but for $150 it may be worth a try...
Strange Data
join:2012-08-25

Strange Data to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
Rent a Ditch Witch and lay your own fiber (in conduit).

ALSO CALL A UTILITY LOCATOR SERVICE BEFORE A SHOVEL HITS THE DIRT

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
Buy two of these, problem solved.

»www.tp-link.us/products/ ··· -WA7510N

If you don't want wireless then your best option is to lay fiber.

You'll need to buy two gigabit media converters (I don't think you want to make that kind of investment to only have 100mbps).
wgbeatty
Jenison, MI

1 edit

wgbeatty

Seems the wireless options are relatively cost effective, but my concern would be line of sight (fairly good, but there is one tree that is questionable). I'm curious about the "ethernet extender" posts here - the dsl-warehouse boxes. Not seeing how I would set those up exactly. Not on DSL here, but cable Internet. If someone wouldn't mind providing a bit more info on using these, that would be awesome.

Thank to everyone for the input so far - some great, useful stuff here.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to wgbeatty

Premium Member

to wgbeatty
I can not begin to tell you how many of these I have installed
Lots and lots of them at guest ranches and for guest homes in rural areas

Not as good in urban areas as there is often a lot of 2.4 noise from massive numbers of routers and such

Two of these units will talk well thru medium tree growth and less than ideal line of sight
One set to AP mode and other as bridge
Use a version of WPA encryption as the signal may travel further than you think

»www.keenansystems.com/st ··· s_id=315

btw the 5 gig suggestion will disappoint if you have more than very minor foliage between the link
Expand your moderator at work
wgbeatty
Jenison, MI

wgbeatty

Re: RG6, RG11 or CAT6 for burial

Any thoughts on this:
»www.amazon.com/StarTech- ··· 21&sr=1-
1&keywords=10%2F100+Mbps+Ethernet+Over+Coaxial

I know the estimated ranges of coax, but it seems this would work with even RG6.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech

I think that's probably you best option.
dbonamo
join:2002-12-19
Greenville, SC

dbonamo to wgbeatty

to wgbeatty
I go wireless also, look at
»www.engeniustech.com/bus ··· -enh202-

These are about 100.00 each, need 2 of course and setup as bridge.

We used them in a few commercial applications. They claim up to 2 miles range, I can attest to 1800' clear line of site with no issues. We used it to extend a Ethernet to a remote guard shack. 600ft should not be an issue for them, even if you have a tree in the way.