fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

Shadowrun Returns thoughts

I saw on Steam that they have a sale on the new Shadowrun. I loved the original on the Genesis and it looks to be similar. What do you guys think?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I spent so many hour on this game on the Genesis and then when I got the emulator. I will keep a look on this to see how it is before I purchase.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to fnord76

Premium Member

to fnord76
Never played the original, but I've been looking at this, if you guys were to compare it to something else what would it be like?

There was some additional DRM on the Steam version FF7, and I'm wondering if this will be the same.
Duplex
join:2009-08-17
Bossier City, LA

Duplex to fnord76

to fnord76
I bought the preorder, and it's supposed to unlock tomorrow. I will give my thoughts on the game after I spend a few hours with it.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

I almost picked it up today. 18 bucks isn't too bad. The trailer and pics look good for it.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by fnord76:

I almost picked it up today. 18 bucks isn't too bad. The trailer and pics look good for it.

Storyline is interesting so far. I really like the music.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

How is the gameplay?

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
Troy, IL

fnord76 to Goggalor

Premium Member

to Goggalor
Is it a re-tool of the original Sega work, or a new story?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by fnord76:

I want to know this too.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor to fnord76

Premium Member

to fnord76
said by fnord76:

I never played the original, so no idea; however, I believe it is a new story.

As for the gameplay, I haven't gotten too far with it to really assess the mechanics thoroughly, but it is reminiscent of X-Com.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
Troy, IL

1 edit

fnord76

Premium Member

According to the wiki. This is a new story that has tie in's to the old stories for Sega and SNES for those who funded the kickstarter.
fnord76

fnord76

Premium Member

The original creator of the tabletop game was the one who developed this game. Should be good.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

About the tabletop game, Shadowrun fifth edition is out now in PDF form ($20) if people are interested. The actual book is out in stores next month.

RavenX11R6
join:2013-03-02
Mechanicsburg, PA

RavenX11R6 to fnord76

to fnord76
i finished the main campaign, its pretty good, not overly long and doesn't overstay its welcome. story and characters are interesting and well written. music is good, the environments all look fantastic, the animations are ok. i recommend it.

the only downside i can see is after you finish the stock campaign, if you import your dude into another campaign you only keep what you have on you. stash is empty and you have 0 nuyen.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

It has the feel of the original. You wander around and have contextual hotspots to interact with and when you wind up in combat it switches to turn based. The story seems good and the sound is good. So far it is linear though, I'm hoping that goes away.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to fnord76

Premium Member

to fnord76
I'm really interested in this, I remember I had a gaming mag with an article about the original and was just drooling over it but never got it for whatever reason. I have been doing some research and this looks great. The only things that I have reservations about are the checkpoint system and the extreme linearity of the world. From what others are saying the writing and gameplay are top notch and with the level design available to all I'll bet we'll see a lot of interesting user-created content.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor to fnord76

Premium Member

to fnord76
said by fnord76:

It has the feel of the original. You wander around and have contextual hotspots to interact with and when you wind up in combat it switches to turn based. The story seems good and the sound is good. So far it is linear though, I'm hoping that goes away.

Nope, linear all the way through. If HBS had the money, they probably would have done a more open-world approach and included more options for modifying your character.