how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Info on FITL upgrade?

Does anyone have any new information of FITL upgrades? I'm stuck with FITL-MX and would switch to cable in a second if it were available. From what I can tell AT&T is not planning anything for those of us stuck with fiber to the curb.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
Your question is vague at best. FITL is a junk term that doesn't really mean much. I haven't even heard FITL-MX before. What is your location? What is your situation? What service do you have?

All legacy ADSL, ADSL2+/IPDSL, and U-verse/VDSL services are technically FITL services or FTTN. About 99.7% of the time the connection to your residence is copper from the RT or VRAD. The stat is around 1% of actual Uverse customers have FTTP or FTTC with an ONT installed on the side of their house. The connection into their home is still copper.

The large majority of legacy ADSL installs have been or are upgraded to ADSL2+/IPDSL capability. These are typically served out of a legacy Remote Terminal. The new VRADs boxes that serve the full suite of Uverse services over a VDSL connection can only be deployed where AT&T gets city/township permission based on the video franchise agreements.

Investment in new VRAD deployments have somewhat slowed down over the past year or two, as AT&T has refocused a good portion of that money into upgrades of the existing footprint to support high speed service offerings. That does not mean they are not doing them or planning them. It just means the timeline has been delayed. So, until AT&T prioritizes your location as a video market they want to compete in and they get local approvals to deploy, you won't see Uverse being deployed. The question is where your location is on that long list.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
My neighborhood is served with the Marconi DISC*S system, known as FITL-MX in Bellsouth terms. The electronics inside the pedestals serve 12 homes a piece and haven't been upgraded since be installed in 2005. My area is Mobile, AL.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to rolande
said by rolande:

Your question is vague at best. FITL is a junk term that doesn't really mean much. I haven't even heard FITL-MX before.

It is an old Bellsouth term for FTTC. Only ever deployed in the legacy Bellsouth region (of the AT&T footprint), that I know of. Unlike FTTP, no ONT on the side of the house. And all U-verse which isn't FTTP (my understanding is closer to 5% than 1%) is FTTN, that I know of. IFITL FTTC nodes are closer the the premises than VRADS, and more numerous. I believe serving clusters of four to eight homes. Whatever the Marconi (manufacturer) equipment was called, fiber was terminated to the curbside pedestal and copper run the last hundred feet, or so, to the premises. On the inside, only the wall jacks. No NID, ONT, or similar equipment.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to SlowFITL
Ah legacy BellSouth. That is a great question what AT&T's plans are for that territory. I would guess they will eventually want to deploy VRADs but from a wiring infrastructure perspective they may wait until it makes sense to just to extend the fiber to an ONT on the houses, rather than try to come back and retrofit copper to all the pedestals. Basically 4/5ths of the fiber is already installed. No reason to rip it out and regress backwards.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
reply to SlowFITL
No one seems to know anything about what AT&T plans to do FTTC. Either AT&T is trying to sweep us under the rug or they don't know what to do.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
said by SlowFITL:

No one seems to know anything about what AT&T plans to do FTTC. Either AT&T is trying to sweep us under the rug or they don't know what to do.

It depends on which is cheaper

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to SlowFITL
All I know is that every time there has been an upgrade plan in the works, AT&T has scrapped it. This includes the one Bellsouth had planned to do before the merger was announced.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by Zoder:

All I know is that every time there has been an upgrade plan in the works, AT&T has scrapped it. This includes the one Bellsouth had planned to do before the merger was announced.

This tells me that AT&T is content just to milk it us for all we're worth and just let these systems rot.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
I wouldn't say that is completely accurate. Even the 3 toed sloth eventually makes progress. The progress is just so slow that it can be confused with milking it from the customer's perspective.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to SlowFITL
»www.fiercetelecom.com/story/atts···13-05-10

»[Southeast] AT&T IFITL DSL service grossly oversubscribed..

The story @ fiercetelecom.com is about the latest I have heard about any upgrade - 1.8 million customers to upgrade either to GPON/FTTP or some type of FTTC equipment upgrade while keeping the FTTC setup

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by ILpt4U:

»www.fiercetelecom.com/story/atts···13-05-10

»[Southeast] AT&T IFITL DSL service grossly oversubscribed..

The story @ fiercetelecom.com is about the latest I have heard about any upgrade - 1.8 million customers to upgrade either to GPON/FTTP or some type of FTTC equipment upgrade while keeping the FTTC setup

Which would be great! Even if they just upgraded us to IPDSL with higher speeds i'd be happy.

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to rolande
said by rolande:

I wouldn't say that is completely accurate. Even the 3 toed sloth eventually makes progress. The progress is just so slow that it can be confused with milking it from the customer's perspective.

No, it is accurate. AT&T hasn't even come up with a viable upgrade path for these systems.They upgraded one small area in Georgia and stopped all further upgrades. They haven't said what they plan to do and won't respond to any inquiries. They are milking the customers that are stuck with this outdated and neglected technology.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
said by SlowFITL:

No, it is accurate. AT&T hasn't even come up with a viable upgrade path for these systems.

And you know this because you work for AT&T or you have insider information direct out of facilities planning? Just because they haven't or aren't doing something right this minute, does not mean that they aren't planning or haven't planned. Bean counters, unfortunately, force business decisions that are not necessarily customer friendly.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to SlowFITL
Upgrading IFITL users to Uverse (even non-VDSL2 Uverse) would cost money, so AT&T isn't going to do it. The whole IFITL situation is kind of an anomaly when compared to the rest of AT&T's plant, so figuring out a new game plan would also cost them money. I'll bet that in two or three or even five years' time, people will be posting this same question in this same forum.

Sad times.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to ILpt4U
They are probably trying to figure out a way to upgrade in place w/o any outage. Either way its going to be a lot of CAPEX, to either rib & rebuild, or run temp while overhauling