Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elefante72

Re: U-Verse is 45Mbps is DOA

Bell Canada is already doing 50 meg VDSL2 to their customers, with 75 on the horizon (for users on remotes that support profile 17a), and is now deploying line bonding to extend those speeds to customers who would otherwise be too far from the remote to get them...

Not ideal, but since Bell is simultaneously rolling out FTTH, their FTTN deployments keep them competitive until FTTH arrives in those areas.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by Guspaz:

Bell Canada is already doing 50 meg VDSL2 to their customers, with 75 on the horizon (for users on remotes that support profile 17a), and is now deploying line bonding to extend those speeds to customers who would otherwise be too far from the remote to get them...

Not ideal, but since Bell is simultaneously rolling out FTTH, their FTTN deployments keep them competitive until FTTH arrives in those areas.

They will be rolling out faster speeds on DSL too. The vast majority of customers won't see FTTH anytime or anytime soon.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I already have 40/5 from CenturyLink (really at 40/3 currently because of a line problem in my building i'm fighting with the condo assn to fix) - My neighbor is able to do 40/20. This 45/5 is nothing amazing, especially if they're doing bonded pairs.

VDSL2 can easily do 50/20 over a "decent" line and 50/5 over a so-so line - all on a single pair. AT&T is just being cheap and using older plain VDSL1. They need to go with VDSL2 if they ever plan on actually competing.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Guspaz
I guess us Canadians don't have it as bad as we might gripe about when it comes to "regular" internet.

Certainly in Bell territory, it's 50/10 max on DSL, with 75 Mbps + on the horizon.

I have 25/7 at home (10 up is too unstable) and 25/10 at a rental I own. The rental's line stats are fabulous and from what I remember from a few months back, 70+ Mbps will easily attained on that line.

While DSL may have its limits, based on Bell Canada's deployment, I think it's still got a decent enough life span to it. They are actively working on their network, trying to spread IPTV and provide good speeds. They may not have the speeds that cable does, but at least in Canada you can get an unlimited 25/10 or 50/10 connection for what I would consider a reasonable price.

We don't have the blow them out of the water speeds available with some US packages, but we also have a much, much better DSL situation that appears to be the case in AT&T territories.