how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

btB

@rr.com

1 edit
reply to CylonRed

Re: Looking for service for young son...

Verizon coverage with minutes that do not expire.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

We looked at it but it looks like the prepay plans - the minutes run out in a month or the time period on the refill card and have to be reloaded every month to keep the phone active.

Tracfone has 1-year refill options. I think the cheapest you could do with them is the $10 phone (which does only voice and text), then refill online with the 30-minute card (which will be doubled to an hour) at $10, plus the one-year option at $50. Total, $70, 80 minutes, 13 months, or thereabouts.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to CylonRed
Just learned Airvoice (AT&T MVNO) dropped their PAYG data to $0.06/mb... another option.
--
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to La Luna
We looked at it but it looks like the prepay plans - the minutes run out in a month or the time period on the refill card and have to be reloaded every month to keep the phone active. WalMart also have the other prepaid phones, T-Mobile, Virgin, Net10 and at least one more. All seem to have the same type of plan as StraightTalk.

I know what we want will not make a real profit but hoped there were other prepaid plans that were better and allowed us to control what is allowed. He only needs it for emergencies and maybe a couple texts hence no smart phones or need for web.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to CylonRed
What about Straight Talk?

»www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/···S9nQSEh/

You can also go right to any WalMart for Straight Talk too.
--
The Alien in the White House

21,281 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to atuarre
I have a friend that has Sprint in the area and he likes it...

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to CylonRed
Stay the hell away from Sprint or one of their virtual providers. Going with Sprint unless you are in a major city and plan to remain in said major city is like throwing your money into a rubbish bin and lighting it on fire.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to Lone Wolf
Kajeet looks like a great option for a child starter phone, but their rates are high for voice/text minutes.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed
Lots of choices and different plans - some with texts included and others not. Don't have to decide now but going to be awhile to try and analyze them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

btB

@rr.com

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
If T-Mobile coverage (Lycamobile) is not the best in your area, then you might want to take a look at another service that does not require constant refills.

See if you can find an old Verizon phone around the house or from friends/relatives and just reuse that for the kid. Chances are the phone will be dated a bit, so the internet experience on it will be poor provided that there is even a browser on the device.

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to CylonRed

Lycamobile is good

If you can get by with T-Mobile only coverage, Lycamobile is a great choice. I'm testing their SIM now, working great.

I moved the wife to Talk For Good from Page Plus; that $6 a month plan was a winner, unfortunately they aren't taking new port requests anymore.
--
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

Re: Looking for service for young son...

Saw this today. I don't know anything about it but thought it might help you. Starts at $4.99 monthly.

This article is dated 2012 »www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp

Kajeet

Sprint-based Kajeet bills itself as "the smart phone for kids." Every service plan comes with Kajeet's suite of online parental controls. This allows parents to monitor who children can talk and text with, the times when the phone may be used, how much money may be spent, and what features may be accessed.

Plans start as low as $4.99 per month. That includes 10 minutes of call time, as well as text messages for 10 cents and picture messages for 25 cents. A $19.99 monthly plan includes unlimited text and picture messaging, as well as 150 voice minutes. $24.99 per month gets the same plan but with 300 voice minutes and a GPS phone locator, while $50 per month includes unlimited texts, picture messages, voice minutes, and GPS phone locator.

Data rates are costly, at $4.99 for 50MB, $14.99 for 200MB, and 1GB for $24.99, so you'll probably want to limit the surfing.

Kajeet's phones are also a bit pricey, but there you get a nice range of options sure to appeal to teens. The LG Optimus S, pictured in the slideshow, is available in black or purple for $299.99.

»www.kajeet.com/4u/index.html

morbo

reply to Hagar
I'm a former T-Mobile customer (post and pre paid), but the Lycamobile website and plans make my head spin.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to SCADAGeo
Lycamobile; I had not seen their pay as you go plan, great for a backup phone/SIM.

Great information, report back after you have tested them.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to CylonRed
said by Hagar:

Tmobile will cost you $100 year one (1000 minutes last a year and you get Gold status).
And as little as $10 year two, once you have gold status all your refills last one year.

It is almost impossible to find this information from their web site, google is your friend.
»www.t-mobile.com/promotions/gene···OnsiteAd

Something to consider - the 2nd year will only be $10, but the rate will be charged at $0.29/min (not a big deal for an emergency phone).

What's interesting, as of early this month, a $30 refill dropped the rate down to $0.11/min (as opposed to the $0.17/min posted in the above link).

said by morbo:

I tested the waters with them for a few months before porting my number from Verizon.

I, too, have been testing Ting, and like their service.

---

I haven't personally tried PagePlus (Verizon MVNO), but they have been recommended in this forum, and in the VoIP forum.

PagePlus offers a 2000 minute plan for $80 per year.

---

Another pre-paid provider I am about to test is Lycamobile (T-Mobile MVNO), which has a pre-paid rate of $0.02/min.

A call has to be made once every 90 (or 120?) days to keep the account active, and the minimum refill is $10.

Lycamobile initially offered free SIM cards (for unlocked GSM phones), but I just checked to see if the offer was still valid.

Although the SIM card itself is still free, there is now a $7 shipping & handling fee.

Refill cards are available either online, or at retail locations (although I don't know if they serve Bloom County ).

morbo

reply to CylonRed
I tested the waters with them for a few months before porting my number from Verizon.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to morbo
Missed the roam part of your previous post - sorry about that... Definitely seems good and we will think strongly about it.
--
Brian

morbo

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Looking at the coverage it says Sprint network??

Yes. They are a Sprint virtual provider meaning they use their network. Since you aren't looking for data or a smart phone for your son, I do recommend Ting since Sprint voice network is fine, and if out of range of Sprint tower, then you will roam on Verizon towers (even better).

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to morbo
Looking at the coverage it says Sprint network??

morbo

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CylonRed
I recommend Ting (»ting.com/rates), a Sprint virtual provider. You can turn off texting, web, etc. If the phone isn't used at all one month, you pay the device fee of $6 plus any odd fees/taxes your locale requires. Usually 1-3 bucks. If he uses texting or many voice minutes, the rates are affordable and likely less than $20 minimum of Net10.

Edit: Ting roams on Verizon for voice/text, so nationwide coverage should be excellent.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to CylonRed
Net10 will cost you 12 * 20 = $240/year

Tmobile will cost you $100 year one (1000 minutes last a year and you get Gold status).
And as little as $10 year two, once you have gold status all your refills last one year.

It is almost impossible to find this information from their web site, google is your friend.
»www.t-mobile.com/promotions/gene···OnsiteAd

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Wife wants to possibly get a phone for our young son in case he needs to call for missing the bus or issues at home while she is at work (I am currently unemployed but still trying to get work).

We want a basic phone, true pay as you go, no web or the ability to at least block it, carryover of unused minutes, keep service even if not used for a month, and possibly other controls (ability to lock #'s - only have 3-5 numbers to call).

Net 10 seems to have the closest thing I can see but the sticking point will be the service dates. If you get a 200 minute 30 day card then you have to add in more minutes (looks to be a minimum of 200 min/30 days) by the end of the 30 days.

It looks like with Net 10 you buy the phone then choose the plan?
--
Brian