how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grazed

join:2006-10-15
Havertown, PA

Getting Out of Contract

So, in light of one service after another being unusable half of the time due to Cognet issues (YouTube, Amazon, Steam, Netflix and other game related peering issues), is there a way I can use this to terminate my contract without paying the fee?

I'm at my wits end as I can no longer use my computer and connection for the things that I enjoy. Nearly every activity I do on my devices aside from browsing pages is hindered by this nonsense. Has anyone had success doing this? Do I have a leg to stand on?

Thanks!

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

I don't know what the ETF is for terminating just 1 service when you have a contract, assuming you keep the rest of the services.

You should be able to downgrade services without breaking a contract though, just until the contract runs out, i.e. Basic TV, Snail's Pace Internet, 0.10/min phone, etc, but you would have to call and ask.

I don't think VZ will accept those reasons as excuses, because they are not considered VZ network issues Per Se, but instead, the failure of other companies to upgrade their own peering connections to Verizon's network.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to grazed

Even browsing pages. You don't realize how much is hosted via Cogent until well... you know. I've been trying for some time now to get out of my contract. I refuse to pay an ETF out of principal.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to grazed

Is this Cognet issue supposed to be every where? Because I have no problems here. 1080P Youtube, is no problem. Netflix and Amazon also don't have issues. And I never have any issues gaming on my 360's.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA

I do not know where most people are that are complaining, but I'm in the Pittsburgh area. I have a few friends on FiOS in this area that are suffering the same issue in addition to some friends out in NJ that are also having the same issue.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit
reply to grazed

You can try, but I gather you are frustrated and you may have a hardware/line issue. Cogent is just one of the transit CDN providers, Netflix uses others that one just gets press. The other services you mention use differing transit providers, so Cogent is not the singular issue.

Also it is entirely possible your Verizon Actiontec is bad, needs fw update, you have a bad interior run, or if you use wifi you have neighboring interference or slow tx/rx link speeds.

You'd be surprised how many bad Cat cables I find out in the wild.

Youtube - Switch to HTML5 beta, problems go away. Flash version had gotten better in last 2 weeks (I guess bad press helps)
Netflix - This should be solid and buffering is not usually an issue.
Amazon - Amazon issues are the service itself. They use AWS just like Netflix in some cases. They don't scale as well as Netflix, but it's free. I found it's more stable on Roku that Xbox. XBL makes lots of things unusable (esp Youtube, Vevo), except for Netflix.
Steam - Well pls download at night, not at 5PM.

If you are having gaming issues (latency), then I would open a service ticket because maybe there is something wrong w/ your line or equipment. They have had on occasion had to flash my ONT to a newer firmware. If you don't open a ticket, then they assume all is fine. Also if you are going to try to break your contract it helps to have a paper trail of unsuccessful service resolution attempts.

You may also want to use Verizon DNS servers or run your own. Google/OpenDNS, etc may cause latency and not always give you the preferred geography needed for streaming caching servers. Download namebench and test. Outside of my own unbound DNS, Verizon DNS servers are the most accurate and fastest.

HTH.

norm

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by elefante72:

You can try, but I gather you are frustrated and you may have a hardware/line issue. Cogent is just one of the transit CDN providers, Netflix uses others that one just gets press. The other services you mention use differing transit providers, so Cogent is not the singular issue.

Also it is entirely possible your Verizon Actiontec is bad, needs fw update, you have a bad interior run, or if you use wifi you have neighboring interference or slow tx/rx link speeds.

You'd be surprised how many bad Cat cables I find out in the wild.

Youtube - Switch to HTML5 beta, problems go away. Flash version had gotten better in last 2 weeks (I guess bad press helps)
Netflix - This should be solid and buffering is not usually an issue.
Amazon - Amazon issues are crappy servers on their end. They don't scale as well as Netflix, but it's free. I found it's more stable on Roku that Xbox. XBL makes lots of things unusable (esp Youtube, Vevo), except for Netflix.
Steam - Well pls download at night, not at 5PM.

If you are having gaming issues (latency), then I would open a service ticket because maybe there is something wrong w/ your line or equipment. They have had on occasion had to flash my ONT to a newer firmware. If you don't open a ticket, then they assume all is fine. Also if you are going to try to break your contract it helps to have a paper trail of unsuccessful service resolution attempts.

You may also want to use Verizon DNS servers or run your own. Google/OpenDNS, etc may cause latency and not always give you the preferred geography needed for streaming caching servers. Download namebench and test. Outside of my own unbound DNS, Verizon DNS servers are the most accurate and fastest.

HTH.

I have two Actiontec routers to try plus a pfsense box. All three experience the same issues. I'm not the only one in my area with FiOS that is experiencing this.

If you do a netstat to determine the host your Netflix stream is being pulled from, you'll find that it's most likely suffering packet loss as well. I see a lot of LLNW and TeliaSonera and packet loss immediately after and beyond the ALTER.NET hop which tells me congestion.

My guess is, Netflix is trying to serve its videos over alternative networks when Cogent lines become saturated which in turn saturate the other networks and Verizon is doing nothing about it.

Also, I should add that if I use a VPN connection or an SSH tunnel, these issues magically disappear. That tells me it has nothing to do with my local setup.