All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tomphm
join:2004-01-08
Garden Grove, CA

Tomphm

Lost connection when "voice" is being used!

Hello,

My u-verse has been ok until last month when I noticed the NVG510 displayed "detected potential problems with your DSL connection which may impact your service" when there was a call coming in, and the bottom LED (the four that lid up green all the time) on the NVG510 would be flashing red until the call is done. I've tried switching the filter and difference jack location in the house with no luck. Is there anything I can do to resolve this problem before calling ATT for help?

Thanks

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Re: Lost connection when "voice" is being used!

Is/are the filters on all the phone jacks that have phones/other devices (excluding modem) attached to them? A filter/filters may have gone bad as well. The modem should not have a filter on it between the jack and the modem -- just the data cable

If that is not it, may need a tech visit - let the tech set it up with a whole house filter @ the NID and put the ADSL2+ data link on a dedicated data pair

Do you have POTS/traditional AT&T Landline phone or U-Verse Voice VoIP phone?
Tomphm
Garden Grove, CA

Tomphm

I only have one phone and it is connected to a filter of which has two connections one for the phone, the other one for the modem. ATT tech did the initial setup and it was working ok for months til now!
I have the traditional ATT landline phone.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U
Filters for line share? I am surprised. What makes an install U-verse vs DSL?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

From my perspective, the primary differentiator is whether the transport is ADSL using PPPoATM with a user based login (legacy DSL) or if it is IPDSL=ADSL2+ (RT) or VDSL (VRAD) which uses a device certificate to authenticate against an 802.1x challenge.

The IPDSL solution is still Internet data only and does not provide TV or VoIP services over the data connection but is called Uverse. Because the transport model is equivalent to how the new VRAD VDSL transport works, it is likely they can ride the same backend network. Hence the common branding name, except that in the case of the IPDSL solution you can only get the Uverse Internet service and are limited to 12Meg.

It still is confusing for customers because I believe most of us look at Uverse as the whole triple play package. IPDSL is really the redheaded step-child of Uverse. It is more like Uverse-Lite without the VRAD.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by rolande:

The IPDSL solution is still Internet data only and does not provide TV or VoIP services over the data connection but is called Uverse.

VoIP is sold over IPDSLAM. The Moto NVG510, 2Wire/Pace 2701, and 2Wire/Pace 5031 all have VoIP ports and can be used for U-Verse Voice via IPDSLAM
said by rolande:

It is more like Uverse-Lite without the VRAD.

There are field-deployed IPDSLAM VRADs -- sometimes called IRADs -- either in a VRAD-style cabinet but with IPDSLAM ADSL2+ cards in them instead of the more common VDSL2 cards, or also deployed in existing RTs/CEVs

I know of multiple in my area alone

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by ILpt4U:

VoIP is sold over IPDSLAM.

I stand corrected. I was not aware of that service offering.
said by ILpt4U:

There are field-deployed IPDSLAM VRADs -- sometimes called IRADs -- either in a VRAD-style cabinet but with IPDSLAM ADSL2+ cards in them instead of the more common VDSL2 cards, or also deployed in existing RTs/CEVs

Since VRAD = Video Ready Access Device that is why they coined the term IRAD because those boxes are not "Video Ready". Again, I was not aware that the new style cabinet was ever deployed without VDSL capability. I thought they were deployed that way right from the start. So, it is a 7330 chassis with only the ADSL2+ cards in it. I don't understand why the cabinet would not have been retrofitted with the new cards. Obviously they had to depreciate (suck more life out of) the existing cards to make the bean counters happier.

So, I'm assuming there was a point in time where the new cabinets were deployed before there were VDSL cards and certified CPE and so they could only have ADSL2+. I thought the new cabinets were entirely deployed with VDSL support for TV service right from the get go. Sounds like a case of the engineering service planning lifecycle conflicting with the product lifecycle. Seems to me that AT&T needs to figure out how to get over the GPON investment hurdles to future-proof the orders of magnitude scale problem they will start running into as we move further into the knee of the customer demand curve.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Actually, the 7330s with IPDSLAM ADSL2+ cards have only popped up in about the last year or so -- they are newer cabinets than most of the VDSL2 cabinets (though new VDSL2 VRADs are popping up in my area as well)

A couple of examples of them are in business park type areas -- targeting business class internet service, so the longer loop benefit of ADSL2+ outweighs the benefit of TV service, which is not common on business class. One in my area serves a shopping mall primarily.

But others in my area are deployed in residential areas -- I have no idea what the reasoning/logic there is -- unless they are meant to be trials for when IPDSLAM Pair Bonding go lives & video service is offered over that platform (rumored -- and has been rumored for a few years now)

So far, AT&T has not sold IPDSLAM Video -- I have a feeling that once IPDSLAM pair bonding launches, Video will be sold for customers on a short enough loop.

For comparison, CenturyLink sells its Prism video service (which is very similar to U-Verse) on both VDSL2 and Pair bonded ADSL2+
Tomphm
Garden Grove, CA

Tomphm to StillLearn

to StillLearn
"Filters for line share? I am surprised. What makes an install U-verse vs DSL?"

It was the price for me! Double the speed for same price.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

(Almost) all U-Verse is a variety of xDSL -- be it ADSL2+ or VDSL2 (the "other" part that keeps this at an almost level are the few that have xPON FTTP U-Verse).

Not all DSL services sold by AT&T are U-Verse though. AT&T has the older "normal" DSL product still available in many areas

When IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse is installed (if installed professionally/not self installed), the ADSL2+ signal should be home ran to a dedicated jack for the modem, and if the line is a POTS Line Share line, there should be a whole house filter @ the NID to split the voice/data, which then eliminates any in house filters, and typically eliminates this problem all together

Old_School
@comcast.net

Old_School

Anon

said by ILpt4U:

When IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse is installed (if installed professionally/not self installed), the ADSL2+ signal should be home ran to a dedicated jack for the modem, and if the line is a POTS Line Share line, there should be a whole house filter @ the NID to split the voice/data, which then eliminates any in house filters, and typically eliminates this problem all together

That is the way it used to be done in the early days of ANSI/G.DMT aDSL before user self install was permitted (although sometimes the "homerun" consisted of just using line 2 for the modem instead of running a separate cable to a dedicated jack). At least that was the way it was done in the legacy BellSouth area.