Search similar:

uniqs

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

[HN7000S] For Sale

After 13 years with DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet, I'm now a Verizon Home Fusion customer. As such, I have a complete HN7000S system for sale. It consists of a 98cm Prodelin model 1985 and 2 watt "pure" Osiris TRIA are for sale. TRIA includes the correct feedhorn, feedarm, side struts for the Prodelin. Provide your own pole mount, cable, ground wire.

The used modem had to be returned to Hughes, but I have a known good spare HN7000S that can go with the outdoor equipment. It's associated with a paid-up account, so no registration issues should be encountered. There's also an entire spare feed system; consisting of a 2 watt Osiris/TG2 TRIA with feedhorn/feedarm/side struts appropriate to the Prodelin. These spares were only used to test functionality, and can be considered new-old stock. I want to get this stuff out of my storage shed, so all reasonable offers will be considered. Contact me via site PM, to exchange email addresses. Photos available upon request.

//greg//
montana_sat
Premium Member
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT

montana_sat

Premium Member

Don't feel "forced" to return the HN7000s or any Ku band equipment to HughesNet, it's just an option, and installers and customer service reps we're told several months ago to "suggest" it, but it's not required by any means as I doubt anyone is still under the 2 year contract any more!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits

grohgreg

Well, the Indian kid said the wanted the modem and the TRIA back. But I convinced him that everything (except possibly the modem) was mine. I've been with Hughes for so long, I guess I was grandfathered when they first started requiring 2 year commitments. When the kid actually checked my account history, he relented on the TRIA. I was a DW4000 subscriber at the time they changed their name from Direcway to HughesNet and launched the HN7000S, making me an early HN7000S upgrader. Don't remember however whether I sent the DW4000 set back to them or not. The second HN7000S is definitely mine, i got it from a dealer. Does this mean I am grandfathered from sending back the first HN7000S modem as well? They haven't actually sent me the return box yet, so there's time to turn this around

//greg//

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to grohgreg

Premium Member

to grohgreg
grohgreg,

Does this mean you will no longer be available to advise those that are still on Hughes ?
I can't begin to tell you the times I have reposted your essays on grounding to those on the Hughes "support site", including an installer or two.

What is this world coming to ? First Don and now you

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits

grohgreg

Well, I have no HN9000 experience, and my GEN4 experience was all bad. So what I have available to offer isn't what it used to be few years back. That said, I got rid of my last Chinese tractor 2.5 years ago (I had 4 over the years). Yet I still contribute to a few Chinese tractor forums. But there's no ruthless moderation on those forums like there is here. I'm on the fence about subjecting myself to any more arbitrary DSLR moderation of my postings

//greg//
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to grohgreg

Premium Member

to grohgreg
I have many many subs in Mx on 7000s who are having their service terminated
Not simply due to sat coverage either - the option offered is to upgrade

I can't find the email one of my subs forwarded me from Hughes but Don over at datastorm users site has some info that Hughes is suggesting current 7000 users transition to VARs

When an issue of any sort occurs, it seems default solution is to upgrade or go fish

Not sure how they handle fairly new subs who could not see the Ka birds on day 1 but anecdotal evidence suggests HN wants to shed their 7000 subs asap

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel to grohgreg

Premium Member

to grohgreg
This makes me sad, though, I know I should be happy for you. Thanks for all of your help through the years! You are one of the best in this forum.

I could probably use a backup unit, but, if they are going to kick us all off soon (that's what it sounds like), I suspect there's no need.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to grohgreg

MVM

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Well, the Indian kid said the wanted the modem and the TRIA back. But I convinced him that everything (except possibly the modem) was mine. I've been with Hughes for so long, I guess I was grandfathered when they first started requiring 2 year commitments. When the kid actually checked my account history, he relented on the TRIA. I was a DW4000 subscriber at the time they changed their name from Direcway to HughesNet and launched the HN7000S, making me an early HN7000S upgrader. Don't remember however whether I sent the DW4000 set back to them or not. The second HN7000S is definitely mine, i got it from a dealer. Does this mean I am grandfathered from sending back the first HN7000S modem as well? They haven't actually sent me the return box yet, so there's time to turn this around

//greg//

I was thinking you had forgotten the DW6000 and DW7000, but looking back at your posts it appears you are one of the few that stayed with the 4000 until the HN7000 came along.

I still can't imagine what Hughes is going to do with a used 7000 of any variety...

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

I just can't imagine what the remaining users are going to do without the support of you two.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to grohgreg

to grohgreg
I think Verizon Home Fusion (for those people that can get 4G service) is a big threat to satellite internet. How is it working for you grohgreg?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Good to excellent, and - compared to what I'd become accustomed to - very fast; I've seen 24mb/s down and 16mb/s up. A good PING is 88ms. On average, I'd say it returns perhaps 20/12 @ 120ms. Like Hughes however, there is an occasional "no internet" period; cantenna and modem both locked on a good signal, just no response from any web servers. Fortunately these outages seldom last any longer than HughesNet in a rainstorm.

As you all know, I'm not a big downloader or file sharer, so the 10GB/mo plan @$60/mo saves me twenty bucks compared to the Hughes 375M/day plan from Hughes. But the 4G/LTE rollout in Kentucky is behind the rest of the country due to collusion in the state government. Therefore the above performance is from a single tower. As more towers within range of the cantenna are upgraded, I expect the service to only get better.

//greg//
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

said by grohgreg:

Like Hughes however, there is an occasional "no internet" period; cantenna and modem both locked on a good signal, just no response from any web servers.

I run Virgin Mobile BB2G 19hrs/day 7days/week and although right now I am "throttled" for exceeding monthly bandwidth, it is still faster than my HN7000S. But I keep HN for the FAP period (I auto-switch my Cradlepoint router at 1am and 6am) and as a backup because VM goes away periodically for no reason of signal loss.

But I don't pay $60/mo for HN either--they gave me a special rate for "backup only" service...

done99999999
join:2012-11-05
Beverly Hills, CA

done99999999 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Good to excellent, and - compared to what I'd become accustomed to - very fast; I've seen 24mb/s down and 16mb/s up. A good PING is 88ms. On average, I'd say it returns perhaps 20/12 @ 120ms. Like Hughes however, there is an occasional "no internet" period; cantenna and modem both locked on a good signal, just no response from any web servers. Fortunately these outages seldom last any longer than HughesNet in a rainstorm.
//greg//

There's been an ongoing issue with some Homefusion hardware that I've read about, disconnecting for a while, sounds like what you describe. Some people aren't happy with it not being fixed yet. Another device instead of Homefusion possibly wouldn't disconnect like what you are seeing.

I waited for Exede5 to get the kinks out, they didn't very fast, then shortly after closed the area for new installs (most of the state actually). So, after 'bout 7 years with Wildblue, and my only other choice for an "upgrade" being Hughesnet (which is severely overloaded too), I went with Millenicom, 3G first, then 4G within the last few months.

This is 8 miles from the tower, through dense trees with a roof antenna. I've seen over 30 at times.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8647.png

Minus the price, it's nice to have real internet. 20GB cap is a nice improvement too. I haven't had any issues or outages to speak of in about 9 months.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

I'm a long-time Verizon user and have had 4G devices for a couple of years - now I find it almost everywhere that I go.
said by done99999999:

20GB cap is a nice improvement too.

Do you use 20GB every month? If not, I can't imagine paying for it. Verizon is an extremely easy switch-up, switch-down online, so I start every month with a 1GB plan (and never use even that when I'm off the road and have terrestrial service). I add on during the month as needed. It is not prorated, so I don't get, say, the 1GB price for 10 days and the 4GB price for the rest, but if I only use 6GB in a month I only pay for 6GB.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg to done99999999

to done99999999
said by done99999999:

There's been an ongoing issue with some Homefusion hardware that I've read about, disconnecting for a while, sounds like what you describe.

Well, all six LEDs stay green (2 on the cantenna, 4 on the router). But when 3 of the 4 operational LEDs (Internet/Ethernet/WiFi) blink simultaneously, I've come to expect no internet for a few minutes. But all this is self-rectifying, reboots/power cycles aren't required to recover. Just like as with Hughes during a heavy rain, the occasional brief Home Fusion interruption ends without customer intervention. You may be entirely correct about it being a hardware issue, but I've yet to encounter one what was similarly self-correcting. To me it seems more like a momentary server hangup at Verizon.

//greg//
done99999999
join:2012-11-05
Beverly Hills, CA

done99999999 to dbirdman

to dbirdman
said by dbirdman:

said by done99999999:

20GB cap is a nice improvement too.

Do you use 20GB every month?

I use 10GB without doing any video, just things like ebay (looking at equipment/vehicles with pictures), system updates (Linux), etc. Not really hard to do. I was on the Value plan with Wildblue and I had a very hard time keeping under, but I did. I was always downloading files to take to neighbors' houses. I don't have a Verizon cell phone, I use Pageplus, $30 per YEAR for more than I use, so I don't have anything to bundle in. So the hotspot plan alone, cheapest is $50 total for 4GB, plus whatever taxes. (don't know what taxes are on internet only, but with the cell phones it's over 20% last I heard here). 10GB is $80 a month (so Homefusion is the better option for price). Through Millenicom, it's $69.99 total, no tax, 20GB, and still the same Verizon data/speed. I'd like it cheaper, but it's not that ~much higher with taxes especially, considering it's the amount I use, and since a person already has to spend about that much anyway. If I could get the dsl in town at 1 meg for $50, or if Wildblue service didn't decline significantly, that's where I'd be.
done99999999

done99999999 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Well, all six LEDs stay green (2 on the cantenna, 4 on the router). But when the all 4 router LEDs blink simultaneously, I've come to expect no internet for a few minutes. But all this is self-rectifying, reboots/power cycles aren't required to recover. Just like as with Hughes during a heavy rain, the occasional brief Home Fusion interruption ends without customer intervention. You may be entirely correct about it being a hardware issue, but I've yet to encounter one what was similarly self-correcting. To me it seems more like a momentary server hangup at Verizon.

//greg//

Maybe it's not the same issue, but they have been doing firmware updates to try to fix something similar sounding for some time now.

»www.google.com/search?cl ··· oe=utf-8

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to done99999999

MVM

to done99999999
said by done99999999:

I use Pageplus, $30 per YEAR for more than I use, so I don't have anything to bundle in.

Ahh, understandable. I tend to look at things from a mobile perspective, where I need the same service from Coos Bay, Oregon to Pine Mountain, Georgia and everywhere in-between. That makes Verizon the only realistic call, even if there are a few holes, for voice and data.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to grohgreg

to grohgreg
>@$60/mo

Compared to Exede-12, which would be a similar rate, sort of a toss up when a person is not a big byte user.

I assume they allow users to go over their limit, and they have to pay for it...whereas sat users get throttled.

Good Luck...

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

You are correct, overage is available for a price. But unlike Exede, the latency is comparatively negligible. SSL, VPN, VoIP activity carries none of the frustration that I've endured over satellite for the last 13 years

Any chance we can turn this back into a For Sale topic now?

//greg//
montana_sat
Premium Member
Kalispell, MT

montana_sat to Just Rachel

Premium Member

to Just Rachel
Ya, Greg, I hope you hang around! I know I never post much, but I read a lot and you are a great resource for information for sure! By the way, you can still get service for the HN7000s... and Mexico, Haiti, and other locations are not a problem... Cuba is a no no though! The service is more expensive than the old "residential plans" that were available until March 20th of this year, but we set them up monthly service accounts for people every day for HN7000s! I did find out today that we may have a hard time getting parts for the HN7000s systems from now on though! Still waiting to hear more on that though!

theGhostPony
join:2009-07-31
Lexington, KY

theGhostPony to grohgreg

to grohgreg
I've got a spare HN7000s modem that I found at a local thrift store if anyone needs it. It worked when I got it, the account was still active and I tested it for a few minutes before boxing it up and stashing it in storage. I've since moved on to Gen4 so no longer have use for it.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to montana_sat

to montana_sat
I've actually helped a few folks in Cuba set up Ku-accounts. It's legal is you're USMilitary on Gitmo, but apparently illegal elsewhere

//greg//
montana_sat
Premium Member
Kalispell, MT

montana_sat

Premium Member

I heard HNS got into some trouble recently over Cuba recently, in fact they've shut off several HN7000s accounts they found were being used in Cuba over the past few months that we had originally setup for customers for U.S. sites! And they pretty much forcing us into sending them all of the original account requests and everything so they can follow up on it!

So, needless to say, if someone even mentions Cuba, we can't / won't help them... just not worth the hassle you know! What's funny though is that HughesNet says they don't support use in Mexico either, but a few months ago when they decided to stop using AMC6, they sent us a list of some of our accounts that they had discovered were at locations in Mexico and simply suggested we move them to another satellite so they won't lose service! Never a dull moment with HughesNet!
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee to grohgreg

to grohgreg
there are several diplomatic embassies in Cuba that have legitimate sites too.
System

to grohgreg

Anon

to grohgreg
System Post
this topic has been closed

Reason: Has run its course