share rss forum feed

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

[Speed] Upgrade Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem ASAP

As a follow-up from the D1.1 upgrade post last summer @ »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem - if you still have a D1.1 device, please upgrade it as soon as possible.

At Comcast, we actively work to provide a great broadband experience to our Xfinity Internet customers. As part of that, we regularly increase the broadband speeds for our customers. As a result, customers using DOCSIS 1.1 devices will be unable to enjoy the fullest possible broadband speeds.

By now you should have received a communication about upgrading your device, so please do take action.

LEASED DEVICES:
Customers that lease a D1.1 device are asked to request a device upgrade at »www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade/?S···ect=true -- so please do so now.

OWNED (RETAIL) DEVICES:
Customers that own a D1.1 device are urged to replace it with a D3.0 device. A suggested list of retail devices is at »mynewmodem.comcast.net/.

Thanks!
Jason
--
JL
Comcast

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
I didn't know Comcast still allowed D1.1 devices O_o.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit
Me either. I would've thought they'd have cut 1.1 devices at the end of the year and D2 by year's end 2013.

Can't say they didn't give you ample time, eh?

Get those Moto 6141s: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-Su···ola+6141 or Zoom 5341Js in:»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable···om+5341j

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
There's no reason to cut off D2 modems. The issue with 1.1's is that they don't support 32QAM and 64QAM upstream.

HerronScott

join:2004-12-23
Staunton, VA
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

Me either. I would've thought they'd have cut 1.1 devices at the end of the year and D2 by year's end 2013.

My brother's ancient Motorola 1.1 (SB42xx I believe) was still working as of earlier this month (finally got him to get a new one as he got a promo offer for a higher tier and was wondering why he wasn't getting the performance he expected).

I'm still using an SB5120 as no reason to upgrade yet (still on original Performance tier here).

Scott

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood
I'm pretty quick to upgrade to the latest technology. I just mothballed my SB 6120 (quit working) and I just bought a SB 6141 last month.

I personally think they should declare D2 modems EOL as well since D3 devices use network resources more efficiently.

I notice one of the 8 channels on my SB 6141 has more uncorrectables than the others and I'm assuming that is the channel that the legacy D2/D1.1 devices run on.

DOCSIS can be compared to a road or highway. Think of the packets as cars and the channels as lanes on a highway. If you have too many cars (packets) on a one lane highway (D2/D1.1), you'll have gridlock. Start adding more lanes (channels) with D3, those cars (packets) move more freely. Once you have enough lanes, the traffic will be moving up to the speed limit.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
said by IowaCowboy:

I notice one of the 8 channels on my SB 6141 has more uncorrectables than the others and I'm assuming that is the channel that the legacy D2/D1.1 devices run on.

That has nothing to do with it. That means there is a signal "problem" somewhere on that carrier, whether it be in your house or network segment. Those numbers are only for your modem and are not indicative of any other traffic on the network.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to jlivingood
As an update, time is almost up for DOCSIS 1.1 in our network. If you still have a D1.1 device, I strongly recommend you take immediate action.

LEASED DEVICES:
Customers that lease a D1.1 device are asked to request a device upgrade at »www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade/?S···ect=true -- feel free to do so *now*.

OWNED (RETAIL) DEVICES:
Customers that own a D1.1 device are urged to replace it with a D3.0 device (NOT a D2.0 device). A suggested list of retail devices is at »mynewmodem.comcast.net/.
--
JL
Comcast

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Do you guys have statistics on the number of D1.1, D2 and D3 modems on your network as of right now? Kind of curious how many people are still on D1.1 and D2 modems

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by neufuse:

Do you guys have statistics on the number of D1.1, D2 and D3 modems on your network as of right now? Kind of curious how many people are still on D1.1 and D2 modems

Sorry - that's not the kind of thing we disclose...
--
JL
Comcast

HerronScott

join:2004-12-23
Staunton, VA
reply to jlivingood
My brother just got the notice to replace his 1.1 CableModem before December. Of course it was too late as he had already replaced it over a month ago.

Scott

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to jlivingood
As a reminder, if you still own a D1.1 device and have gotten a letter, email, or call from us, the time to act is now... Please immediately and without further delay purchase a replacement device. We recommend the following at »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ - where you can buy them as well.
--
JL
Comcast

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

Wondering if next month i'll finally see that last QAM16 upstream channel upgraded....

Probably the reason I noticed the upstream sweep in my neighborhood a few weeks back.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to jlivingood
time to pull the cord on 1.1 and start working on pulling the cord on 2.....

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA
reply to neufuse
said by neufuse:

While they do not make that public, the information does exist in each system. I recall getting a marketing email once that said there were 150 people that would be affected for an area. It was pretty cool to see how many people were on older equipment.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to jlivingood
Final reminder... If you've not yet replaced your D1.1 device now is the time - and there is little time left to do so...

See »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ for suggestions.
--
JL
Comcast

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to jlivingood
So for those customers that lease modems from Comcast, why is it the CUSTOMER's responsibilty to request the upgrade. In my opinion, keeping track of what the customer has is Comcast's responsibility and Comcast should initiate the upgrade. Espicially given the absurd lease fee that Comcast charges.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I think they have made attempts to contact every lessee (in some cases unsuccessfully either due to outdated emails or erroneous spam filtering.
even when notified it takes a (minor) effort on the end user to arrange the actual exchange at a time/by a method convenient for that user. And this is the 20+ notice extended by Jason or other official Comcast employee that the time to do it is NOW.
If people want their broadband toys (new and old) to have a working connection in the new year it is time to make that minor effort and make a request.
Would you expect them to just show up or break in to exchange the equipment?

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

So for those customers that lease modems from Comcast, why is it the CUSTOMER's responsibilty to request the upgrade. In my opinion, keeping track of what the customer has is Comcast's responsibility and Comcast should initiate the upgrade. Espicially given the absurd lease fee that Comcast charges.

My post pertains to customers that own devices. Customers with leased devices are indeed being send self-install kits. But in many cases the customer needs to request this - for either legal reasons or to ensure they do not reject the delivery.

Again, this post pertains to the customers that own devices.
--
JL
Comcast

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Ok. I just the directions for the customers that had leases also which is why I made the comment I did.

I did not realize that this was such an old thread.

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
reply to jlivingood
They can't get rid of 1.1 soon enough. Bring on my 3rd 64 QAM upstream channel!!

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Frontier Communi..
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by DanM64:

They can't get rid of 1.1 soon enough. Bring on my 3rd 64 QAM upstream channel!!

We've had 3 QAM64 since early 2013.

I wish more people were upgrading :/. It annoys me when I watch people suggesting you buy D2 modems!!! I especially loved it when ABC reported on how they told a couple who had Comcast Triple play to get a D2 modem without voice and said that they were saving!

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Ok. I just the directions for the customers that had leases also which is why I made the comment I did.

I did not realize that this was such an old thread.

Makes you wonder how many stragglers there are that are completely ignoring the notices, emails, phone calls, etc, and will angrily call up the 800-COMCAST number when their service quits working.

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

We've had 3 QAM64 since early 2013.

I wish more people were upgrading :/. It annoys me when I watch people suggesting you buy D2 modems!!! I especially loved it when ABC reported on how they told a couple who had Comcast Triple play to get a D2 modem without voice and said that they were saving!

The north suburbs of Chicago recently got theirs, so I would guess that mine isn't far behind. I agree completely!! I always try to correct anyone that recommends D2 on here. D2 is cheap for a reason!

I have noticed the ones that refuse to upgrade are the same ones that complain about congested nodes. While I'm on the subject, PLEASE don't be mad about Comcast "forcing" you to purchase new equipment! Say what you will, but Comcast offers the fastest and most stable cable internet for a reason. That reason is that they upgrade to the newest technology quickly, ensuring they have the most modern network possible! Compare the speed tiers Comcast offers and you'll see they are at the top of the cable industry.

madbavarian

join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA
reply to jlivingood
I'm surprised Comcast didn't have a day say one month ago where they temporarily turned off docsis 1.1 for 24 hrs. That would have gotten the straggler's attention and also done it in a way that let them upgrade their modems in a more controlled controlled fashion over the course of a month.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Sounds like fun, but this isn't really to attack or annoy anyone, just to move towards a newer standard...for the benefit of MOST.
A few still won't enjoy being dragged forward, just as a few wish this happened a couple years ago.
Upgrading is harder than some people think, for all sorts of reasons.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to DanM64
said by DanM64:

Just be aware that 64QAM is more sensitive to noise. In most areas, the old 16QAM was on the lowest frequency, which is also the noisiest. That 3rd 64QAM could actually create issues for some users.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood
I think a good way to sunset the DOCSIS 1.1 modems would be 7 days before the sunset to shoot pop ups that say that your modem is out of date. Then when the sunset comes, then they hit a walled garden that offers to ship a SIK with a new modem or have Comcast call to schedule a technician.

I think many of the customers still on DOCSIS 1.1 are in the over 65 crowd as many elderly individual's attitude is "use em till they die" instead of "have the latest and greatest". My Grandma is living downstairs and doesn't mind a standard def TV but I'd rather have an HD set down there. She is living her final years with declining health and I want her to have the best as I would like her to have TV without the letterbox at the top and bottom. The older generations can be stubborn at times about upgrading older tech to newer tech.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to jlivingood
Today I hooked up a self-install TC8503C gateway (voice-data)that was shipped to replace an EOL Tm402P and I was surprised to find out that it's not showing as IPv6 capable. I guess I'm stuck on IPv4 with this device!

And it has no back-up battery!
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

System
reply to jlivingood

(topic move) Need advice on getting a new eMTA

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 25 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Equip] Need advice on getting a new eMTA