Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 2.0 Modem

said by Johkal:

A simple declaration to Comcast what make/model of modem you have is definitive proof if they do not lease that particular one.

HAHAHAHA, love that perfect world you live in, may I visit? You obviously don't deal with Comcast on a regular basis.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

It is what it is.
Expand your moderator at work
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to jlivingood

to jlivingood

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 2.0 Modem

Who can I contact in the Comcast organization to determine when I need to replace my DOCSIS 2.0 Modem. I tried calling customer service and was told I must replace my modem by the end of the month. The only advisory I received was a robocall. I checked all of my bills and did not find any letters setting a date when my modem should be replaced. The customer service representative I spoke to did not seem to be well informed.

I am on the Performance Tier at 25 Mbps. My DOCSIS 2.0 modem supports download speeds of up to 38 Mbps. I do not want to replace my modem to soon, because there have been several generations of modems since DOCSIS 3.0 was introduced. I do not want to purchase an obsolete unit. I have been told the head end for the system serving my home is in Leesburg, Florida, Lake County.
ComcastDJ
join:2012-10-18
Philadelphia, PA

5 recommendations

ComcastDJ

Mr Matt: Please refer to »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?e=1 for a list of End of Life devices. You can goto »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net and select the "Show only the latest models (DOCSIS 3.0 and above)" checkbox to view the list of DOCSIS 3.0 devices that have been certified for use on the Comcast network. As jlivingood stated, for a list of suggested retail devices, visit »mynewmodem.comcast.net/.
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Can anyone in the Comcast organization tell me when Comcast will no longer support DOCSIS 2.0 modems in the City of Eustis in Lake County Florida?
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

Bill_F

Matt, you should go ahead and purchase an 8/4 D3 modem.
It will be a while before one of those becomes obsolete.

Your D2 modem that you currently have probably cannot provide you a consistent experience on that slower speed due to only having 1 channel available anyway. So you will see more consistent speeds once you upgrade. The new 8 channel modems might support speed tiers in the 200 mbps range in the future.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Bill_F:

The new 8 channel modems might support speed tiers in the 200 mbps range in the future.

FWIW, a single 256QAM modulated downstream cable channel can deliver approx. 38 Mbps real world bandwidth. 8x38=304.
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

Bill_F

There is a difference between that laboratory test and what you can actually get when they roll it out and have multiple customers on each node.
I would be surprise if they ever have a speed tier over 200 mbps with an 8 channel modem.
Comcast will probably require the future 24 channel modems or DOCSIS 3.1 modems for speed tiers in the 250mbps+ range.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Should have specified *theoretically*, sorry.
lagnaf
join:2000-03-26
Peoria, IL

lagnaf to Chris 313

to Chris 313
So here is what I did...

I hadn't really thought much about the SB4200. It worked and dealing with Comcast is a chore. Sure, there was a time when it couldn't keep sync, but I was able to grab an actual CC tech instead of contractor once and got a bunch of bad coax replaced and it has been solid ever since.

I used to have the good life paying 39.95 to Insight and it stayed that way under Comcast for a good long time. I quit talking to CC after being informed I had was getting a great deal, so why take a chance? Beginning of 2012 CC began ratcheting up my rate so that now I'm up to 64.95 a month (Internet only) but still, talking to them never results in happiness.

I try not to stress about technology, anymore. Sure there was a time when I was a authorized MS system builder, but I just don't keep up. Add in a touch of dyslexia and I was thinking I had a D2, not D1.2 which the SB4200 actually is.

Still, what to do? I am planning a move and one potential place doesn't have cable, but it does have fiber from a local company called iTV-3. (Look up the prices yourself, it would be a easy choice to go with them. The lucky few that can get it rave about it.)

Anyway while rooting around I found a SB5100 that I had acquired from a friend who buys things for no good reason. He had it a closet for a few years, even though they have DSL! ("Will our speed get better if we hook this up to AT&T?") It was new in box, but missing the power supply which is why it had ended up in my closet of junk. Lucky for me my closet-o-junk also contains a box of PSU's, one of which matched specs and plug perfectly. (It says LiteOn and I think it came from an old 14400...)

So a few nights ago I went through the process of using the walled garden activation and entering the MAC for this SB5100 and eventually it started working, except for a page that appeared that said it would only work for 24 hours unless I called the activations department at 7AM Eastern. WTF? About that time a chat rep appeared and I started a conversation with that person, way out-typing them and explaining the situation while they were still doing the opening nonsense. Formalities out of the way I began quizzing them on the plans to push DOCSIS 3 on everyone and they told me that it was just D1 stuff for the moment and that my (newly activated) D2 modem should be safe for the foreseeable future and that there would be no need to call the activation department. That was five days ago and everything is still humming along.

I did a bunch of speedtests before and after and most show improved uploads. Testmy.net for instance went from 9.4/1.1 to 9.8/3.8. I can live with that. Most of my work involves large audio files being transferred from home to a remote site that can only be served by T1. Only difference is that while before these maxed out the T1 at about 180KBs they now burst up to that but then seem to throttle back to about 120 after the first few minutes. So perhaps upgrading modems helps Comcast with their traffic shaping...

That's my story so far. We shall see if I get any more notices about upgrading modems while trying really hard to buy that place that is on the fiber. Wish me luck!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by lagnaf:

So here is what I did...

I hadn't really thought much about the SB4200. It worked and dealing with Comcast is a chore. Sure, there was a time when it couldn't keep sync, but I was able to grab an actual CC tech instead of contractor once and got a bunch of bad coax replaced and it has been solid ever since.

I used to have the good life paying 39.95 to Insight and it stayed that way under Comcast for a good long time. I quit talking to CC after being informed I had was getting a great deal, so why take a chance? Beginning of 2012 CC began ratcheting up my rate so that now I'm up to 64.95 a month (Internet only) but still, talking to them never results in happiness.

I try not to stress about technology, anymore. Sure there was a time when I was a authorized MS system builder, but I just don't keep up. Add in a touch of dyslexia and I was thinking I had a D2, not D1.2 which the SB4200 actually is.

Still, what to do? I am planning a move and one potential place doesn't have cable, but it does have fiber from a local company called iTV-3. (Look up the prices yourself, it would be a easy choice to go with them. The lucky few that can get it rave about it.)

Anyway while rooting around I found a SB5100 that I had acquired from a friend who buys things for no good reason. He had it a closet for a few years, even though they have DSL! ("Will our speed get better if we hook this up to AT&T?") It was new in box, but missing the power supply which is why it had ended up in my closet of junk. Lucky for me my closet-o-junk also contains a box of PSU's, one of which matched specs and plug perfectly. (It says LiteOn and I think it came from an old 14400...)

So a few nights ago I went through the process of using the walled garden activation and entering the MAC for this SB5100 and eventually it started working, except for a page that appeared that said it would only work for 24 hours unless I called the activations department at 7AM Eastern. WTF? About that time a chat rep appeared and I started a conversation with that person, way out-typing them and explaining the situation while they were still doing the opening nonsense. Formalities out of the way I began quizzing them on the plans to push DOCSIS 3 on everyone and they told me that it was just D1 stuff for the moment and that my (newly activated) D2 modem should be safe for the foreseeable future and that there would be no need to call the activation department. That was five days ago and everything is still humming along.

I did a bunch of speedtests before and after and most show improved uploads. Testmy.net for instance went from 9.4/1.1 to 9.8/3.8. I can live with that. Most of my work involves large audio files being transferred from home to a remote site that can only be served by T1. Only difference is that while before these maxed out the T1 at about 180KBs they now burst up to that but then seem to throttle back to about 120 after the first few minutes. So perhaps upgrading modems helps Comcast with their traffic shaping...

That's my story so far. We shall see if I get any more notices about upgrading modems while trying really hard to buy that place that is on the fiber. Wish me luck!

So, what to do, eh? If you're still intent on moving shortly, since you have upgraded to a 5100 (D2) modem, that will still have to be replaced potentially by year's end, if not sooner, if you're gonna go with the home with the fiber (Price wise, I'm not too impressed with their speeds and prices. But hey, if it works for you...) I'd recommend getting a rented modem from Comcast, that'll be D3 compatible and you'll be good to go until you figure things out about whether you want to keep cable and buy a modem like I suggested in my previous post, or just stick with the fiber, if you move into that home.

It's funny you mention getting that modem from your friend, since he sounds terribly uninformed about the difference between DSL and cable technologies and the associated modems that work with each technology. Still, his ignorance is your gain, for a few months anyway.

If you get any more notices or are just plain shut off, consider what I've said about renting a modem until you get your move situation straight and refer to my previous post about which modem to buy if you want to keep your cable service at your new place.

Good luck with everything.

PS: I wouldn't put much stock in anything online chat has to say or their ability to get anything done. So, I hope everything stays working until you either switch out the 5100 to a D3 modem or switch services to the fiber at your potential new home.
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

1 edit

Mr Matt to Bill_F

to Bill_F
I apologize that I failed to tell the whole story. First false start: It seems like it was several years ago that someone started a thread in this forum asking subscribers to indicate when and where DOCSIS 3.0 was being deployed. I thought I should immediately purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem soon so I did not get shut out. I contacted Comcast Customer Service and asked when DOCSIS 3.0 would be deployed in my area. They did not know. I stopped in at the walk in customer service center in Leesburg, Florida and ask when DOCSIS 3.0 would be deployed. The manger stated DOCSIS 3.0 was not yet scheduled for this area and he did not know when it would be. I therefore postponed purchasing a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem.

Second false start: About a year ago there was a discussion regarding DOCSIS 3.0 deployment here. I again checked at the Leesburg service center and was advised DOCSIS 3.0 was not yet available in my area. I was advised to put my name on the list to be notified when higher speeds would be available in my area. I put my name on the list at the Comcast Website, but never received a response.

Last weekend I received a Robocall recommending the replacement of my DOCSIS 2.0 Modem. I checked at local stores to see if a DOCSIS 3.0 8X4 modem was available. They were sold out in all stores. The purpose of my inquiry was to determine how long I could continue to use my DOCSIS 2.0 Modem and how much time I had to acquire a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. I want to purchase the modem at the best price at a local store where I could return it if there were problems. I do not need to know where to purchase DOCSIS 3.0 Modem just how long my DOCSIS 2.0 modem would continue work in this area.

The most frustrating part about getting accurate information is that I cannot call the Leesburg office directly. When I call Comcast I get some uninformed CSR that does not have or can get the information I need, and is located in another state. If Comcast is so high tech why do I have to physically drive 12 Miles to the customer service center to get accurate information.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Mr Matt:

I apologize that I failed to tell the whole story. First false start: It seems like it was several years ago that someone started a thread in this forum asking subscribers to indicate when and where DOCSIS 3.0 was being deployed. I thought I should immediately purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem soon so I did not get shut out. I contacted Comcast Customer Service and asked when DOCSIS 3.0 would be deployed in my area. They did not know. I stopped in at the walk in customer service center in Leesburg, Florida and ask when DOCSIS 3.0 would be deployed. The manger stated DOCSIS 3.0 was not yet scheduled for this area and he did not know when it would be. I therefore postponed purchasing a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem.

Second false start: About a year ago there was a discussion regarding DOCSIS 3.0 deployment here. I again checked at the Leesburg service center and was advised DOCSIS 3.0 was not yet available in my area. I was advised to put my name on the list to be notified when higher speeds would be available in my area. I put my name on the list at the Comcast Website, but never received a response.

Last weekend I received a Robocall recommending the replacement of my DOCSIS 2.0 Modem. I checked at local stores to see if a DOCSIS 3.0 8X4 modem was available. They were sold out in all stores. The purpose of my inquiry was to determine how long I could continue to use my DOCSIS 2.0 Modem and how much time I had to acquire a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. I want to purchase the modem at the best price at a local store where I could return it if there were problems. I do not need to know where to purchase DOCSIS 3.0 Modem just how long my DOCSIS 2.0 modem would continue work in this area.

The most frustrating part about getting accurate information is that I cannot call the Leesburg office directly. When I call Comcast I get some uninformed CSR that does not have or can get the information I need, and is located in another state. If Comcast is so high tech why do I have to physically drive 12 Miles to the customer service center to get accurate information.

Keep looking in stores for either »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· ola+6141

Or

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· om+5341j

Or you can order either of those from the Amazon link I listed. Once you're set up, problem solved and you can sit back for the next few years and not worry about it for a while.

Other then that, I'd tell you to replace your D2 modem ASAP. You might have a month or you have until the end of the year. Do you wanna chance waking up to a dead connection? If you're getting robo calls, I'd suggest replacing your modem as soon as you're able to get one.

As for snagging the best price, if you have a local best buy, I got a Motorola 6141 that was listed at 100 and after price matching with the Amazon link I posted (Which was literally 5-6 bucks cheaper at the time) and a 30 dollar gift card I had, I got the modem for 46.29 and once I got it hooked up, and hour and 30 later, it was an instant upgrade and gives me 65/11 out of the 50/10 I pay for.

Hope you're able to get a new modem soon and won't have to worry about this anymore.

PS: Make sure you save the box and all receipts from buying and returning any rentals to dispute any erroneous rental charges after you get your owned modem set up.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
I believe you have, target, bestbuy, walmart, staples, etc all of which allow you to order online but return to any nearby store.
I think end of the month is plenty of time to shop and test drive.
This is going to happen soon, no point in stretching it out until the last minute.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to jlivingood

to jlivingood
I have a D3 device, but between you and me, if Comcast really wants their customers to move to a D3 modem, they're going to either need to make it mandatory to continue service with no exceptions, or push all of the internet speed tiers higher beyond the capabilities of a D2 modem so the customer would be left with no choice but to upgrade if they wanted the speed they are supposed to be getting (or connect at all) hokie21's comment is a good example of the issue I'm pointing out. Unless Comcast forces the customer to upgrade in order to continue service, most aren't going to upgrade. As you can see I'm all for the strong arming technique. Comcast needs to do what they did when they phased out the D1.0 modems, give 6 months of warning via letters, notices on bills, emails, and telephone calls, then pull the plug on D2 modems once and for all. Customers will get the hint...
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to tshirt

to tshirt
I look at it this way. Buy the new modem now, and when you move, you can still use it with your new ISP, even if it's not with Comcast.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I'm happy with my D3 Motorola SB6121. It's quite nice and it's at a good price.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to My_Modem

to My_Modem
I would have pushed for people to get fired or at least for blood to be spilled.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I've been DOCSIS 3.0 since it first came out in my area (around early 2009).

I just bought a Motorola 6141 because my 6120 died. For those that don't want to get stuck with a gateway and who don't have CDV, there is always the purchase option. Just go down to Best Buy or Radio Shack and get a Motorola 6141 as it has 8x4 channel bonding. I've always owned modems as long as I've had broadband.

Just don't buy modems online or ones that have the factory seal broken because you could have activation issues (such as stolen Comcast property or tied to an account in collections).
HerronScott
join:2004-12-23
Staunton, VA

HerronScott to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Comcast needs to do what they did when they phased out the D1.0 modems, give 6 months of warning via letters, notices on bills, emails, and telephone calls, then pull the plug on D2 modems once and for all. Customers will get the hint...

Apparently someone forgot to tell our local Comcast franchise to phase out the D1.x modems. My brother was using an SB4120 until recently when he was asking me why he wasn't getting the higher throughput on his Blast promotion.

I'm still using an SB5120 with Performance tier. They haven't started any kind of warnings (phone or bill) yet regarding replacing D2.0 with D3.0 cablemodems.

Scott

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by HerronScott:

said by Mike Wolf:

Comcast needs to do what they did when they phased out the D1.0 modems, give 6 months of warning via letters, notices on bills, emails, and telephone calls, then pull the plug on D2 modems once and for all. Customers will get the hint...

Apparently someone forgot to tell our local Comcast franchise to phase out the D1.x modems. My brother was using an SB4120 until recently when he was asking me why he wasn't getting the higher throughput on his Blast promotion.

I'm still using an SB5120 with Performance tier. They haven't started any kind of warnings (phone or bill) yet regarding replacing D2.0 with D3.0 cablemodems.

Scott

Get both of yourselves on a Docsis 3 modem: This »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· ola+6141 is a good one.

Or

»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ··· %205341j

Both can be found at Best Buy and price matched with Amazon's price for the cheapest price possible.

Both of you would benefit from the upgrade. Your brother especially, if he hasn't already swapped to a D3 Blast! capable modem. D1.x-D2 Modems will never see the 50/10 that Blast is these days, let alone the higher speeds any next upgrades will bring.

If you yourself haven't gotten any notice yet to replace your D2 modem, expect them to start real soon. They want these off the network in favor of D3 modems ASAP.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood

Premium Member

If folks cannot find devices at their local store, there should be plenty available online -- see »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ for some links to recommended models.

And thanks for upgrading from D1.1 and D2.0 -- this is an important migration and will improve your service now or in the near future as speed upgrades occur.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
My daughter recently moved to Odenton, MD 21113 to attend grad school. One of the "to-do"s on her list is getting basic cable & internet hooked up. Is Comcast STILL providing D2.0 modems on new installs in that area?

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by newview:

My daughter recently moved to Odenton, MD 21113 to attend grad school. One of the "to-do"s on her list is getting basic cable & internet hooked up. Is Comcast STILL providing D2.0 modems on new installs in that area?

Hopefully not, but feel free to insist on a D3.0 device for a new connect.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I know this is off topic but what are the upcoming speed upgrades that are coming that are necessitating that D2 modems being mothballed?

I'm in Springfield, MA (Northeast region) so I might have already gotten the upgrade.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
So "hopefully not" meaning "possibly"? I have an old SB5100 she can use to save the $7 a month rental fee if Comcast is still using D2.0 modems in that area. How to find out? Just order the install and swap out the rental modem after determining if it's a D2.0 or D3.0?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I know this is off topic but what are the upcoming speed upgrades that are coming that are necessitating that D2 modems being mothballed?

I'm in Springfield, MA (Northeast region) so I might have already gotten the upgrade.

Probably beefing Performance from 25/4-5 to 36/5 or 50/10, which would still push D2 modems beyond their limits of 36 at most and need replacing.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I have a D3 device, but between you and me, if Comcast really wants their customers to move to a D3 modem, they're going to either need to make it mandatory to continue service with no exceptions, or push all of the internet speed tiers higher beyond the capabilities of a D2 modem so the customer would be left with no choice but to upgrade if they wanted the speed they are supposed to be getting (or connect at all) hokie21's comment is a good example of the issue I'm pointing out. Unless Comcast forces the customer to upgrade in order to continue service, most aren't going to upgrade. As you can see I'm all for the strong arming technique. Comcast needs to do what they did when they phased out the D1.0 modems, give 6 months of warning via letters, notices on bills, emails, and telephone calls, then pull the plug on D2 modems once and for all. Customers will get the hint...

I agree. Give it 6 months and then shut their cable modems off until they upgrade. That simple. Still, if you remember the amount of whining and complaining that resulted from D1 modems getting shut off, then you will see that 6 months and numerous calls and emails and letters weren't enough. It seems that some people just can't fathom paying for a hardware upgrade to their cable modem. Hell, I just upgraded my dad's router last year. This after he had the same router for 5 years and it was starting to reboot itself.