All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
VanDivX
join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON

VanDivX

Can use Linksys EA6400 router as WAP only?

As in the title. I have an older model of this router (E4200 v1) flashed with Tomato firmware which allows me to Disable the router side of the box and use it just as WAP.

Now that I got newest box of the same type I wonder if I can use it as a WAP only, given that there is no custom firmware available for this router and in the official firmware the choice to disable the router side is missing - it offers the usual DHCP, Static, PPPoE, L2TP, PPTP & Bridge mode but no 'Disable' mode.

Perhaps I can just let it be set to DHCP and switch of DHCP server and ignore the warning that internet is down when I log into the router? What is your view on that?

---
BTW I hope this is right forum section, couldn't find anything regarding networking.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Give it a static IP on the LAN side of the router, something on your network that won't interfere with your existing hardware, and turn off DHCP. Works on pretty much any wireless router. Or at least, it usually does.
VanDivX
join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON

VanDivX

Thanks a bunch for re-assurance. As I said the custom firmwares typically give you the choice to switch WAN side off (disable it) and I wasn't sure if that's somehow important (beyond just getting rid of the menus to fill in ISP details plus that the router won't keep reminding you the internet is down)... like it might work but before long some insidious LAN problems would show up.
VanDivX

1 edit

VanDivX

As a follow up, I found that when used on LAN as WAP, the Guest Wireless access doesn't provide internet access because it puts guests on a different subnet and since it is not used as internet gateway, it won't provide internet connection to connected guests.

I suppose it can't be gotten around, to make it somehow work I mean.
I have tried setting up a static routing on my gateway router but that's a stab in the dark given I have only foggy notion how to go about it.

On my iPad connected as a wireless guest I have received IP 192.168.3.2 and the Router and DNS is specified 192.168.3.1 which would be this new Linksys. However since it is a device on my LAN with IP 192.168.1.13 and it itself is not a gateway to internet, I don't get internet access on the iPad.

I tried setting up static route on my gateway Destination 192.168.3.0 (also tried ...3.1), Gateway 192.168.1.1, SM 255.255.255.0, Metric 0, Interface LAN (also have tried WAN)

I don't know what is this Metric, perhaps 0 means disabled? It says the value can be 0 to 10.

But I've no idea if routing could make guest access work anyway.

Perhaps guest access only works if one has just one wireless point in his home which is the gateway router and it provides the guest access - so that if you had some WAPs on such home LAN you couldn't connect as guest through one of the them, right?