Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to bonbonbonbon

Re: QAM Feed: Seattle, WA

said by bonbonbonbon :

it sucks that the cable networks make it so it's so difficult to DIY this.

I think you've confused "DIY" with "get free cable". Yes, it sucks they're now making you pay for the service you've been using for free. But can you really be upset with them? You were exploiting a loophole (that they typically don't follow through with inserting filters). Now they're closing it.

If you enjoy the service, subscribe to "limited basic" and get your content legally.

Edit: If I've incorrectly assumed that you are not paying for a cable TV package, then I'm sorry. Your earlier statements seem to say you're not.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bonbonbonbon

@comcast.net
we get limited basic bundled together with our internet service thru comcast, so we are paying for it. most of the stations are the ones that are available for free over the air - like fox and nbc.

what I meant by "free" dvr is that it's not TiVo or some other service that you have to pay a monthly service for. I really think that if we are paying for our cable, we should be able to record it for free.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
said by bonbonbonbon :

I really think that if we are paying for our cable, we should be able to record it for free.

Well, you CAN, actually...

- Pickup one of the FREE DTA's that are entitled to as a paying customer
- Get out that "good old reliable VCR" you just mentioned above
- Connect the DTA to the VCR & put it on ch 3
- Record away for FREE

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to bonbonbonbon
said by dishrich:

You DO realize that all CC systems have/are in the process, or in the near future, will be encrypting ALL remaining Clear QAM channels - so your Clear QAM tuner will be totally useless on Comcast. (unless you upgrade to a CableCard tuner...)

»[Content] Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

said by bonbonbonbon :

@dishrich: I know. crap. I'm super annoyed because we JUST bought our new tuner a few months ago so I'm trying to keep it chugging along. are there going to be ANY workarounds that you know of (besides buying the new tuner)? a way to get the encrypted data somehow?

said by dishrich:

said by bonbonbonbon :

are there going to be ANY workarounds that you know of (besides buying the new tuner)? a way to get the encrypted data somehow?

Other than involving a CableCard, DTA or digital box, NO!
But you DO realize that if you are a (legit) limited basic sub, you CAN get up to 3 HD-DTA's FREE. If your current tuner works on analog signals, about the only thing you could do, would be to run the RF/coax output from the DTA, into the tuner card - but you would have to leave it tuned to ch 3/4; you would then have to do all your channel changing thru the DTA, which would make the DVR part almost useless.

Only other other suggestion would be to go with an OTA/ATSC tuner card & antenna.

said by bonbonbonbon :

we get limited basic bundled together with our internet service thru comcast, so we are paying for it. most of the stations are the ones that are available for free over the air - like fox and nbc.

what I meant by "free" dvr is that it's not TiVo or some other service that you have to pay a monthly service for. I really think that if we are paying for our cable, we should be able to record it for free.

Looks like some areas of Seattle have just had their Limited Basic channels encrypted: »[Content] Re: Almost here for me

radiocolin

join:2013-01-29
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by bonbonbonbon :

it sucks that the cable networks make it so it's so difficult to DIY this.

I think you've confused "DIY" with "get free cable". Yes, it sucks they're now making you pay for the service you've been using for free. But can you really be upset with them? You were exploiting a loophole (that they typically don't follow through with inserting filters). Now they're closing it.

If you enjoy the service, subscribe to "limited basic" and get your content legally.

Edit: If I've incorrectly assumed that you are not paying for a cable TV package, then I'm sorry. Your earlier statements seem to say you're not.

You're awful quick to jump on him.

DTAs and cable cards are kind of annoying. We came out with a technology in the 1990s that gave us cable ready TVs, so we didn't need all these adapters. Now we're right back to that world.