Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hogfan

join:2013-07-25
Little Rock, AR

FTTH Internet speed drop - started last month

Hey guys,

I am hoping that someone can help me with this. I live in a newly constructed house and have had UVerse fiber for about a year now (lots of new houses being built). I have the highest internet tier. Over the past month, my internet has been experiencing the following: If I try to do two things on my network such as streaming / browse or two browsing sessions, it will completely bog down my entire network to around 1 - .5 Mbps. One time I clocked it at .01 Mbps. I have confirmed this across several devices on the network.

I have had two techs out. They have replaced my RG with a silver one. They also did something at my INID. Anyone have any ideas???

hogfan

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9

First, if you have an iNID, you do not have FTTP/FTTH. You should have an ONT (the outer shells of iNIDs/ONTs look the same, but very different guts inside)

Are you seeing these results hardlined Ethernet, or WiFi?

hogfan

Little Rock, AR

Thanks, so I may have used the wrong term. It is definitely ftth.

All speeds are over wifi.

hyphenated

@bellsouth.net

I can't think of anything off the top if my head with that little information. Though something is obviously saturating the connection, or failing (like wifi?) If you want to do the work and determine if its on your side just isolate it.

If it does it often you could plug in one known good wired computer and run it and at least establish its not your ISP.

What uploads from your network, like remote backup or Apple TV photo stream, file sharing?, stuff like that.

hogfan

Little Rock, AR

Good question about the uploading. I do not have anything besides two Nest thermostats and some iPhones doing normal browsing. I will run some tests on my RG when I get home. Anything you need me to look at?

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

3 edits

said by hogfan:

Good question about the uploading. I do not have anything besides two Nest thermostats and some iPhones doing normal browsing. I will run some tests on my RG when I get home. Anything you need me to look at?

And what about computers doing P2P or other servers? Are you doing some cloud storage that may be updating?

Try speed-testing from a wired ethernet connection. If you don't have a computer, ask a friend to try plugging a laptop into your RG for testing.

Also, try ping testing from one or two of the WiFi-connected devices to your RG. Do a long test. That will not use the ATT bandwidth at all. You are looking for a lot of extended ping times or for lost packets. Maybe there is WiFi interference or collisions.

hogfan

Little Rock, AR

I do not do any P2P, but I do run Cloud backup. I shut everything down for testing purposes. I will run the ping test and hardwired when I get home.

Can I put the RG in the basement next to the termination point and run WiFi repeaters from there? There is no bridge mode for FTTH right?

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

Assuming you have the wiring, you can put the RG wherever you prefer to have it or wherever makes it convenient to connect th incoming line and all the devices in your home. Generally you want to be able to easily connect the DSL line to the RG and from there be able to connect a downstream router and/or switch to connect the rest of your devices.

When my home was being built, I had a wiring closet built in my media room to house my rack of equipment, pictured below. All my voice and data wiring was pulled back to that location. So, my Uverse VDSL connection is terminated on my RG which I have sitting in my equipment rack in that room. All of my data wiring is terminated on a CAT5e patch panel at the top of the rack. I have a Cisco 3825 router hanging off my RG with 2 switches cascaded off that router, one with PoE and one without. This allows me to connect anything from anywhere in the house to any device in that rack. My RG has its wireless enabled to support access to remote manage my Uverse STBs. I also have another Cisco Access Point running a different SSID that sits behind my router.

Home Network Diagram

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

What did us use to create your diagram? It looks like PacketTracer

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

It is the Visio equivalent on OSX called OmniGraffle. I used Visio for years before and it took me a little while to get used to it but it is every bit as capable and flexible and supports Visio stencils, too. You can even export to a Visio XML file among others like pdf, gif, png, jpg, tiff, bmp, svg, and eps etc.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

hogfan

Little Rock, AR

o.0 You are epic sir. I am a lowly CCNA. I will try to move some stuff around. Anxious to get home now...

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

You may also notice I even have a set top box Motorola VIP1200 mounted in my rack. That is my shared STB I use for my outside Patio TV and any of my kids rooms when they are sick in bed and have a TV in their room. It is plugged into the RG-6 coax and can be remotely controlled by iPad or iPhone. I can only get an analog signal at those jacks but it is better than renting more boxes that I would use pretty infrequently. I'm thinking about running an HDMI cable to my patio so I can get HD out there. Alternatively I have a CAT5 jack on the patio TV outlet that I can use an HDMI to ethernet converter on if I want to spend ~$180. I haven't figured out how much of a pain it will be to fish the cable yet. I didn't think about it at the time when the house was being built or I would have had one run at the time.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

Fishing an HDMI cable can be a pain in the arse due to the size of the connectors. I'd go with HDMI over ethernet. When I built my current house I knew that I wanted all of the AV equipment in a single location. So I ran a couple of extra cat6 lines to each room and I've been using these for HDMI over ethernet:
www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Extender-Ethernet-Supports-resolutions/dp/B00D37N55E

I went with that particular device because it has the IR extender built in.

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL
reply to rolande

Btw, is there a reason for all the Cisco gear other than just wanting toys?

Half the crap in my rack is overkill or there just because I wanted to play with it. So I'm doing a complete overhaul this weekend to reduce the amount of hardware and overall power consumption (currently at 1,240 watts). I'm hoping to squeeze all of the new equipment and the old stuff I'm keeping into a 12U rack.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

Thanks for the link. I had looked at the ones at monoprice previously. I may have just enough access in the attic to run a cable to the patio, I just haven't investigated what the access looks like to the ceiling above the patio where the jack is located. I have fairly easy access from my wiring closet all the way to the outside wall of the patio, though.

As far as the Cisco gear goes, it is a little overkill, but since I run all the security stack on my router I wanted to have enough horsepower and bandwidth scalability as my connection grows and my family starts using it much more heavily. I want to replace the 3550 and the 3524 with a single 24port 10/100/1000 PoE switch if I can. Just haven't found one that meets my price point yet. The 3550 supports IGMP snooping and the 3524 is my PoE switch for my Access Point and phones etc. I also have spares for both, just in case. I have an AP1220-B for my wireless which supports a/b/g. I'm hoping to add a newer AP with support for n, soon. The second router is my 2620XM CallManager Express voice gateway. I have a few phones and an ATA that I play around with. The 3rd router is just a spare with a 32 port terminal server card. I just haven't hooked it up as a backdoor yet. I also have an APC MasterSwitch that allows me to do remote start power and I have an APC SmartUPS 1500 RM2U for my battery backup. I get about 20-30 minutes of uptime on it.

I have a ton more Cisco gear that I used for my CCIE lab rack, as well, but it is sitting around taking up space now. In the end it's all toys for me, but it all serves a good purpose for me.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

Netgear has been putting out some decent low/mid-range switches lately. Something like the GS728TP-100NAS would probably work well and can be had for $450.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to doubleohwhat

said by doubleohwhat:

So I'm doing a complete overhaul this weekend to reduce the amount of hardware and overall power consumption (currently at 1,240 watts).

My rule of thumb is that AC power is about a dollar per watt per year.

doubleohwhat

Birmingham, AL

Sounds about right. My power bill is by far my largest bill each month.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to StillLearn

said by StillLearn:

My rule of thumb is that AC power is about a dollar per watt per year.

You've got somewhat expensive power rates. That would come out to around 10cents/kWH. I average around 7cents/kWH. A while back I pulled the specs on my equipment and added it up and I'm around $375/year on the nominal draw. Thankfully I'm not running servers at home anymore. I've contemplated building a rack mount host to run VMware ESX on for a decent FreeNAS box and to host a Linux box for some services. I will do it eventually, once I have enough of a need. Hopefully I can find or piece together a system that averages a low enough power draw to keep the cost reasonable but still has enough horsepower to perform reasonably well. I'd definitely include a RAID card and 3 of the largest 5400 RPM drives I could find, as well as a significant amount of memory.
--
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Kett2000
Premium
join:2002-04-23
Sunnyvale, CA

I would love to have your power rates. The lowest tier of power is 13-14 cents/kWH with PG&E. The rates ramp up significantly as usage increases and subsequent placement into higher tiers.